Sparkling Recommendations wanted <$30

+2 on both of these suggestions. On sale, the Roederer is <$20.

I recently enjoyed Argyle’s sparkler from Oregon for $20ish.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions! I have a long shopping list.

Bisson Glera Vino Frizzante (Rosenthal)

Both Moutard Brut Grande Cuvee and Philippe Prié Champagne Brut Tradition show up with regularity on WTSO for $22-$23. Not very often that you can find actual Champagne for under $25, and while not spectacular, these have become my go-to “everyday” sparklers.

I second the Tissot Cremant du Jura. I also have enjoyed quite a few bottles of the Champs Divin Cremant du Jura Zero Dosage.

I’ve enjoyed these ones in that price range:

NV Domaine Didier Grappe Crémant du Jura Clash
NV François Pinon Vouvray Pétillant Brut
NV Domaine de l’Ecu (Guy Bossard) Crémant de Loire La Divina Brut
NV Domaine Belluard Vin de Savoie Ayse Les Perles du Mont Blanc
(Belluard Vin de Savoie Ayse Méthode Traditionnelle should be good, too; low $20s; haven’t tried it yet)
NV Costadilà 450 slm (Glera/Prosecco, but I don’t think it says Prosecco on the bottle)
Királyudvar Tokaji Pezsgő Henye
NV J. Laurens Crémant de Limoux Brut
NV Domaine de Montbourgeau Crémant du Jura
Albert Mann Crémant d’Alsace

And +1 to the Roederer Estate, Moutard, and Tissot. I also like what I’ve tried from Schramsberg, although those are pushing $30.
I like this thread! I can always use more good inexpensive bubbly! champagne.gif

1 Like

I’ll second the Pinon recommendation - almost opened a bottle tonight! It’s a different beats to Champagne or it’s imitators. Can be variable but generally much more complexity than champagne in your price bracket.

Well worth trying Cremants, but ideally on a recommendation as there is good value and just plain dull

I am aware of the changes because I belong to their wine club so I can get the two wines we like the most. They sent an email describing the relationship. It was basically patterned after this article Gruet Winery Announces Partnership with Precept Wine

I have no inside information but for now and I suspect the foreseeable future, Gruet will remain a producer of some very good QPR sparkling wines. I have no reason to believe that they entered into this arrangement in order to trash their brand. It is more of a practical and strategic decision to outsource some tasks better done with companies that have the right scale. Having met several of the family members, they seem to be very committed to the product.

2010 Huet Petillant - $31 at K&L, low availability.

Opened a 2007 couple weeks ago and it was drinking excellently. Heard 2010 is even better, so bought a few.

Gruet, Argyle…and N.V. Astoria Prosecco di Valdobbiadene have all been good in the past.

Check out this article from Wine Enthusiast:

I like the Gruet Blanc de noirs, for its lovely coppery color.

Not sure if it’s just me - but I find the Gruet Sparkling wines to be a bit sweet on the palate for my tastes - some cloyingly so -

Am I the only one?

Not the only one. Better than most for $15 champers but would love some suggestions on the wine-geeky, nuanced-and-yet-appealingly-dry side. Agrapart terroirs is just a bit too pricey.

not wine geek, and meh on agarpart
but
sometimes you can get iron horse bubbles for less than $30
mumm also make good stuff out of cali… once in a blue moon there will be some dvx at around $30

I’m a huge fan of schramsberg , both the blanc de blanc and the blanc de noir, both of which retail at around 30-35

champagne.gif

+1 on Schramsberg, and add Domaine Chandon blanc de blanc,

Sometimes it strikes me as a bit off-dry, but never cloying. Of course, I’m probably biased, since they’re just down the road from me! It seems like a decent wine for the price.

We had another bottle of the Roederer Estate last night with 2 kinds of chilled poke, cucumber salad, and a cold couscous/spinach thing and it was great for a hot evening. I was just thinking that might end up being the most consistently consumed item around our casita. I doubt I’d be able to pick it out as a non Champagne from a line up of $23-$33 real Champagnes. Normally sparklings don’t get case discounts but I should look around.

I have had Gruet many times, from bottle and by the glass.
I never found it cloying, but I also have never been wowed by it at all, even given the price point - I personally don’t get it.

And if you’re looking for anything a little sweet my favorite Moscato d’Astis these days are Bera and the 3 bottlings from Bianco.