South-France classic PISSALADIERE

I had some organic puff pastry left over, so I made this french classic from the South. Pissaladière is easy to make and perfect for summer time. Of course classic would be to use bread dough, but puff pastry is a good substitution. Serve lukewarm with a bottle of Rosé or a glass of Champagne.

Note: I recommend to cook the onions in the oven, so they will be soft&sweet and not burned

Ingredients

1 puff pastry, ready-made
1 kg yellow onions
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1 bay leave (optional)
1 clove garlic
1 tin anchovies (Ortiz)
black olives (Taggiasca)
3-4 tbsp olive oil
30g butter

Preparation

1. Peel the onions and slice thinly with a mandoline or chopp in slices

1. Pre-heat the oven to 150 C or 300F. Heat butter&olive oil in a casserole by Staub/Le Creuset and add sliced onions and also add herbs and chopped garlic. Cook on low heat for 3-4min. Then add lid and put in the oven for 1h. After 25-30min mix the onions and return to the oven.

1. After 1h roll out the puff pastry and make some holes with a fork. Add cooked onions

1. Then add halved anchovies and olives. Put in the ofen by 200 C or 400 F for around 20min.

1. Serve lukewarm with a bottle of Rosé or a glass of Champagne

7 Likes

Yum! I love anchovies, and Ortiz are pretty good. I just had some from Codesa, and those were good enough to eat right out of the tin (with other stuff, of course).
I’ve only ever had pissaladiere in the traditional bread dough fashion, so this looks particularly indulgent.

1 Like

Buy a good sourdough bread, add high quality butter and on top anchovies.

Or use skandinavian Finn crisp cracker with butter and anchovies.

Unfortunately that is my one food quirk. I can’t eat butter on toast (or pancakes, potatoes, etc.). It is a very weird thing because I am quite happy to cook with butter. I’ll load up mashed potatoes with butter but cannot eat a baked potato with a pat of butter on it. And I adore duck fat or goose fat or lardo on bread, so it is not that I dislike “cold animal fat on bread”. I can only put this down to what I’ve been told, which is that as a small child I stole the butter from the breakfast table and ate it all. I assume that made me sick, but I have no memory of this episode. In any case, I do not react well to butter on toast, even with anchovies atop. :woman_shrugging:t2:

OK, I see…….