South African Wineries

I agree. Franschhoek is exactly like a poor mans Napa with bad wines and bad food. I gave detailed reviews when I came back from SA - which, you’ll note, someone upthread agreed with. You can search for those of you want context. All I can say is that as a reasonably well-traveled and well-dined guy, I thought Franschhoek was a cheap knock-off of a place I’d actually like to vacation.

Well agree to disagree. I’d say I’m in same boat and would go back tomorrow so goes to show how different people can be I guess…and I’m about done with Napa btw, food has become very iffy and the tour buses and hoards of tourists are not my speed anymore…

Since I represent them , thanks for the plugs on Mullineux y’all

Added a 2015 Millineux Klooof Street Chenin Blanc to the cart from K&L thanks to this thread. This will be, I think, my first try of South African wine. Enjoy your trip.

Hey Meredith just messaged you this

If you want to try a couple different ones, here are some sees: (Originally from South Africa and was just in Stellenbosch in December)
Day 1: Kanonkop Estate, Thelema Mountain Vineyards and Vilafonte all in Stellenbosch

• Kanonkop for basically the kings of Pinotage; Thelema has an amazing Shiraz and bordeaux varietals; at Vilafonte for their three wines, if they are tasting Seriously Old Dirt and ask their winemaker or (you will most likely have the tasting with) Sophia, ask about Paserene (the winemakers, Martin Smith, personal Label and made from some of the only Carmenere in SA)
    Day 2: Love Stellenbosch, so if you do another day in Stellenbosch I would do: Raats Family Wines, Rust en Vrede and De Toren Private Cellars
  • This was literally our second day in Stellenbosch, Raats for killer Cab Franc and Chenin Blancs. Rust en Vrede has one of the best Cab Shiraz blends, their Estate wine and some great single vineyard wines. De Toren has some great Bordeaux blends too.
    Day 3: Same distance from Cape Town is Swartland. I would try to get to these: Sadie Family, Mullineux (has a tasting room I believe in Franschhoek and one in Swartland) and Testalonga/Lammershoek (I have just heard a ton about them and definitely will visit them next time we are in SA)

If you get to Sadie Family (and you HAVE to, they are making the most interesting and I think best wine in the country), you have to try the old vine series which is nearly impossible to get over here. The stuff he’s making from the Olifant River region is spectacular. Like 100 year old Chenin grown in what is pretty much desert.

Hi Meredith,

Tim James is a well known South African wine writer. The link to his blog is: http://grape.co.za/
This should give you a bit of background reading.

Like almost everyone else here, I can repeat Mullineux and Eben Sadie. Kanonkop and de Trafford in Stellenbosch would be two other suggestions.

Cheers…Mark

Lots of great recommendations here already. If you are looking for a smaller place with great wines that you’ll never find here in the US I would head to Akkerdal Estate in the Franschhoek valley.

http://www.akkerdal.co.za

when I said Franchhoek was a poor man’s Napa, it was coming from someone who loathes Napa.

Agree with Ron on the Sadie Old Vine Series. We have a little in inventory at our shop and I had a good friend who works for Paul Hobbs ask for a special bottle of dry white for a blind tasting that would knock people’s socks off, so I gave her a bottle of 2014 Sadie Family Wines Old Vine Series T Voetpad Proprietary White. She messaged me after her tasting and informed me that the bottle took first place out of quite a lineup (as you could imagine with everyone trying to impress their colleagues). Couldn’t recommend Sadie’s wines more.

From Archives.

I have been a big Mullineux fan for a number of years but at a Syrah tasting downtown this evening the 2013 Mullineux Syrah did not live up to expectations. I anticipated a good wine but it all seemed rather disjointed and did not come together for me. It was lighter in color that the other 6 reds tasted, I remember a terrific 2009.
The WOTN was the Benjamin Silver Trentotto File Syrah, Santa Barbara.

Am going to try to resurrect this thread… am curious if there are any recent opinions on Franschhoek? Am headed there in a couple months and looking for any thoughts on wineries or restaurants. Have already reached out to The Wine Studio to set up a Mullineux tasting and The Bar at LQF looks like its worthy of a visit. Any other recommendations or thoughts from Berserkers out there?

I’m not sure if you saw the thread “Looking for interesting South African wineries” last month, but I thought I’d flag it in case it’s helpful.

I was in Franschhoek last March. It was amazing. We hired a rickshaw to take us around one day and that way we got to visit 3-4 wineries just outside of town over the course of a few hours. Everything is gorgeous, but we liked Grande Provence and La Motte. Either way, you get to choose which wineries to visit in the immediate area if you do that so you have flexibility. The tourist office on the main street was able to arrange everything too.

Our second day we hired a guide for a full day guided tour. He was actually our guide from when were in Cape Town arranged by our hotel, but agreed to come out and drive us around Stellenbosch. We ate at the Delaire Graff Estate (which was amazing food and the best view ever - make a reservation early) and had a great visit at Waterford Estate. I’m sure the concierge at your inn/hotel can arrange for a private tour as well if you are interested.

We had great food too except at Le Bon Vivant - the food was horrendous (bland, poorly executed, etc) and made both my wife and I sick after the meal. I would avoid it like the plague. Ryan’s kitchen in town was great.

Here’s another thread from 2014 on the Cape area.

Plus a famously negative thread about experiences in SA. (“Now tell us what you didn’t like about the trip.”)

My wife had an intern two years ago from the family that runs Springfield Estate out in Robertson. While I have never visited, the wines that she brought from the winery were fantastic. If I were in SA I would definitely make a point to stop there.

If money is no object, try to visit 4G. Little known producer making the best wines in S. Africa IMO — and a great team behind it.