Sous vide fried chicken?

ChefSteps just replied to me on Instagram saying they are working on a “triple-fried chicken leg” recipe to solve this problem.

Reminds me of Korean fried chicken, which isn’t really breaded but is fried twice and is definitely the crispiest fried chicken in the world, even after 24 hours in the fridge.

I wonder how much it would help to leave the chicken in the fridge for a couple days to dry things out?*

*Even for someone like me who has embraced sous vide, I feel like we’ve long since crossed into the wrong side of the effort/result ratio. Can’t see myself making the effort to do any of this when regular fried chicken can be so good.

I like SV fried chicken. My method has been to remove the skin entirely (i know, I’m a heretic) and use a higher batter (tempura-ish) and higher heat for almost a flash fry. I consider the results superior but would concede the loss of the skin to be antithetical to great friend chicken.

I have seen recipes out there where the skin is removed, dried in the fridge and reattached prior to breading to SV’d chicken parts. But I wasn’t that adventurous.

Sounds like reconstructive plastic surgery, after an SUV hit the chicken trying to cross the road.

I think friend chicken is unlikely, regardless of the method of cooking.

Bruce

“I appreciate the care you’ve taken to eat me. I see you friend”

There’s a restaurant here that I’m told confits it first, pretty sure they use only legs and thighs though. It is probably the best fried chicken I’ve had as a northerner. I don’t know how they keep it together for the fryer though? Maybe chill it first? It prohibitively expensive though so I don’t eat it much. Hive wanted to try it for years but never got around to it, has anybody tried confit?

Brine, bake, cool, dip in buttermilk, coat with seasoned flour, let sit 24 hr in fridge, bring to room temp, fry at 375 degrees, baste with spicy lard based glaze. Works well for dark meat. Never tried white.

LOL damn typo…Friend chicken is bad…

Have you tried it with a nice Chianti?

Friend chicken livers.

Made sous vide fried chicken last night. 158 for 1.5 hours. Dark meat.

Left the skin on completely.

Dried the chicken prior to cooking as best as I could. Dipped it in a karaage mix I made and fried it in a pan. Came out delicious and super crispy.

Dried with a paper towel or did you air dry in the fridge?

Paper towel seemed to be enough.

I hope to live to see the day in which no one uses the word “tasty” any more.
I loved the band last night, they were “soundy”.
I loved the silk robe, it was “feelie”.
I loved the Chateau Margaux, it was “smelly”.
I loved seeing Guernica in real life, it was “sighty”.
Shit has taste. It is by definition “tasty”. I don’t know what the taste is, but my dog seems to like it.

Tried making sous vide fried chicken last night for the first time, from skinless breasts following the CS recipe. I’d have to say it was a fail. Was only able to get a thin coating, despite flour->buttermilk->flour (actually did it two ways, with either Bread or AP flour), and one of the breasts was woody (Market Basket) but otherwise well cooked at 149Fx60min. Round two coming up…

sous vide with pickle juice is amazing.

charlie - what’s your karaage mix??

super basic

I don’t add flour (i think some recipes call for it). I use sweet potato starch.

Good luck with that. Do you not use the word “smelly” either?

Smelly cheese is tasty. flirtysmile