Sotheby's 'Transcendent' Auction

Someone always has more! I also collect records and there is a guy in Brazil that has 5 million records!

I guess that investment in Nike finally paid off!

I am probably only a single A level record collector, as well!

With records, having a curated collection of X may be major league, but 5 million is a junk yard! [wink.gif]

I kid, I’ve read about him and he seems to want to preserve vinyl for the future.

A non pay wall link: Inside the world's biggest record collection: An interview with Zero Freitas - The Vinyl Factory

What do you collect?

I have a random “peyote button” approach to record collecting.

I don’t doubt that. But they’re so sterile. Don’t they leave you with a sense of ennui?

I can’t say I’ve ever seen one in person, but in my imagination yes, I can see that happening. My tastes are eclectic and I enjoy a sense of whimsy and the dramatic. Lots and lots of people don’t. Many people are quite comfortable with blue chip, in wine and furniture.

But I would fill that home with my own furniture. Decoration. Etc. and make it mine. My home.
Similarly. If I got the 4000 btls of coche I would find my own folks to share with and create my own memories. :wink:

I studied the catalogue in some detail. I found it devoid of passion and emotion on behalf of the collector. There were only two or three lots that I’ll bid on.

Yes but six times bitten…and as recently as December.

Will go through a third party, and the going rate is now 15%, but even then, my merchant friend is reluctant. Frankly it should be as easy as Heritage, Zachys etc, not the hassle it is.

I understand from e mails that there are plenty of others who feel the same.

To me, these collectors are what encapsulates everything that is wrong with this hobby. Why billionaires chase million $+ supercars, yachts, Gulfstreams? Those objects are made for people with excessive amounts of money and too much ego. These wines are made to be enjoyed at some point in their life, not bartered. Fine, lots of wine squirreled away and then the game of “keep away” for several years. Cash out in a high profile auction and make more money (yawn). Kind of pathetic really. Enjoy that Coche for breakfast.

Oh spare me the retorts about capitalism, free market, supply/demand blah blah…

Not arguing, I’ve got no experience or skin in this game, just repeating what I’ve heard.

+1

Luckily there is an ocean of enjoyable and high quality wine being produced all over the globe now.

So this is the fourth installment in the Divergent series and probably features Johnny Depp…

Same thing is wrong with art.

I should have several da Vinci’s in hanging in my family room. Not some multi billionaire keeping them in storage for ten years and then selling them for a couple of hundred million dollar profit or languishing on a wall in the Louvre.

That Coche would sure look good framed on my wall. I think the next release this collector should buy all of it, the entire production, and hoard it away for future generations. Why should anyone else need to drink it? Must feel good to have all that wine squirreled away where no one can get at it. Man he (I am assuming) must feel really special.

At least in the Louvre we can all appreciate the art. My looking at it is the same experience as the uber wealthy who contribute it. I thank those patrons for preserving and saving the art for everyone to enjoy for the future.