Sonoma/Napa Trip Itinerary - Please Critique!

Hi Arthur (and others), I’ve taken on board the recommendation about the accommodation and am in the process of consolidating into a central spot in each of Napa/Sonoma. In my defence, it was the first thing I booked (so as not to miss out) and didn’t have ANY idea how I was placed in relation to the main wineries.

My objections to Phelps have nothing to do with their wines, which are top notch but overpriced.

I’ve been to Phelps twice. First in 2001 and again in 2012. The visit in 2001 was pleasant. The visit in 2012, decidedly not so pleasant.

The first thing you see when you get to Phelps now is that the parking lot is the size of a lot at a Costco, and it’s filled. There’s a special lot near the door for the large tour busses. When we visited there were nearly a dozen buses in that lot so you can imagine how many people they are servicing. It’s pretty much a cattle call.

We had made reservations but when we arrived we were informed that since we were not members of the Insignia Club that we would only be permitted to taste a couple of wines. They used high pressure tactics that one would expect to find on a used car log and generally made us feel like second class citizens because we didn’t belong. If we wanted to spend a couple of grand on the spot for a case of Insignia, the cases were piled about 6 feet high in the very warm hallway, then we would be allowed the full tasting. Either way, the tasting is not free.

We were then ushered outside into 114 degree weather where they were serving 114 degree wines. They made a big show of telling the servers only to allow us to taste 2 wines. In the heat, the wines were flat and unappealing.

All in all our second visit to Phelps was perhaps the worst winery experience we’ve had in 15+ years of visiting wineries.

If you like their wines like I do then you’re better off buying some at a considerable discount at retail and enjoying them without the poor tasting room experience.

I have found that if you make an appointment or have someone ITB make one for you, Phelps is a great place to visit. If you just walk in they aren’t a very good place to visit.

JD

I would add Corison to your list…About $45 for the tasting.

Wow, that does sound like a terrible experience. Ours was completely different. It was a weekday in mid-to-late June, probably 10:30 or 11:00am. There were no buses in the parking lot and there were less than 10 other people tasting on the terrace (which was cool and shady at that point in the day) at that point. The whites were in a large ice bucket, so were appropriately cool. The reds were room temp, but not noticeably warm. When we expressed an interest in wines not on our tasting docket (which I think was supposed to include 5 wines), our host poured them for us without any hesitation or any additional fee. It really was a great stop. Sorry yours was so bad, Paul.

Haven’t been to Phelps in years, but if you want to go make sure you have an appointment for something more than just the “regular” tourist tasting. This time of year, mid-week, it’s likely to be pretty uncrowded.

That pretty much matches the experience my wife and I had in 2010. There were perhaps 50 people tasting, and two servers at a portable bar. It was elbow time just to get some wine to taste.

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d post an update on where I’m at with my planning.

Have tried to take on board as much advice as possible. Some of the recommendations just wouldn’t work logistically unfortunately.

Here is what I’ve 98% settled on:-

Day 1

Larkmead
Mondavi
Shafer
Alpha Omega
Myriad (TBC)

Day 2

Pride
Joseph Phelps
Beringer
Chateau Montelena
Castell Di Amarosa

Day 3

Ferrari-Carano
Ridge Lytton Springs
Copain
Calluna
Iron Horse

Day 4

Littorai
Joseph Swan
Siduri (TBC)
Chateau St Jean
Benziger

Can’t wait!

Bolding mine. [scratch.gif]

You disagree Dan? The only thing I haven’t really been open to is reducing the number of visits per day- based purely on wanting to get as much in as possible.

You’ll never get 5 visits in one day… unless you just run in and run out of each one.

Even four is to many if you ask me.

Agreed!!

dump Larkmead

Dry Creek Rd, Lytton Springs Rd, Chalk Hill Rd, Westside Rd and 116-Ross Station all in one day? Lofty ambition. F-C is a gorgeous property but I wouldn’t risk missing any of the others by going there.

Your day one is spread out like crazy - you’ll be zipping around like a nut. I understand wanting to get lots of things in, but trust the advice of the many here who have said 5 is too much. Quality of visits WILL suffer in the pursuit of quantity. I think four is a stretch, honestly. Having been there several times now, I think three per day is ideal. Really.

Thanks all - appreciate the comments. Seems pretty unanimous! Will go through and cull a 5th visit from each day.

Completely agree.

JD

Liam,

I’ve been doing a ‘boys weekend’ of Napa/Sonoma for several years. The first year, we planned on visiting 4 wineries each day. We were sure to coordinate so each winery was sort of close to each other. We enjoyed a sandwich for lunch; that was purchased at a gas station, and eaten in the car. From that experience, we scheduled 3 visits the following year. One morning visit, followed by a nice lunch. After lunch we visited 2 wineries (or winemakers). Then, back to the hotel to relax a bit before dinner.

When my wife and I first started going on vacation, we did the If It’s Tuesday it must be Belgium thing. We crammed lots of cities into a short trip. We didn’t see much. When we travel these days, a 10 day trip may be 2 cities or destinations, but not 3.

However you do you trip, please report back. We’re interested in your thoughts and notes on the wines. [cheers.gif]

I attempted doing five in one day with members of the miles side… but, unlike a mileage run, you simply need more time. I actually ended up skipping the last one last time, and not enjoying the fourth as much. I would say that three is the ideal number indeed. YMMV