Sonoma Burg Team - TN's 5/7/10 - Leflaive, Coche, Ramonet

A very good turnout by the Sonoma Burg Team this past Friday and a lot of nice wine opened. The clear consensus for white WOTN was the 2001 Domaine Leflaive Chevelier Montrachet, no question, an excellent wine. The red WOTN was not a clear consensus, but personally thought it was the 1993 Louis Jadot Corton-Pougets! Impressions of all wines opened follow.

White WOTN: 2001 Domaine Leflaive Chevelier Montrachet
Red WOTN: 1993 Louis Jadot Corton-Pougets

White Burgundy

2001 Domaine Leflaive Chevelier Montrachet - Classic Leflavie diesel fuel and match stick nose, with a rich front palate. It was initially a little light on the mid palate and finish. In time, the diesel nose lightened and baked bread qualities increased. Not as complete a wine as the 2004 tasted back in December, but a very strong showing for a great wine.

2001 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Les Rouchottes - Nutty, sweet, lemon oil, floral, yeasty, a gorgeous well balanced wine that showed exceptionally well. It had a full coating mouthfeel, and revisiting the wine throughout the evening, it remained relatively consistent. Second best white of the night, and it is aging gracefully.

2002 Coche Dury Bourgogne Aligote - A silky wine on the palate, an appealing cotton candy note on the palate, however a little disjointed with pretty strong acidity, particularly on the finish. Revisiting the wine a little later, the acidity became even more predominate. Always have high expectations of Coche given its track record, overall this one was just ok.

2007 Neillon Chassagne Montrachet Champgains - Initial funk in the nose made me wonder if it was a bad bottle, but it blew off in time. Walnut and hardwood components jumped out, burnt oak and pretty high sulfur. For a few moments, thought there might be something more to this wine that would reveal itself, but never quite come around. Not a great showing.

Red Burgundy

1993 Louis Jadot Corton-Pougets - A seriously seductive nose, sweet cola, super clean and pure, nice spice on the finish, great balance and structure in an elegant not over the top wine. While there was not a single consensus for red wine of the night, by far, this was mine!

1993 Pierre Gelin Mazis-Chambertin - Some asian spice, plums, initially exotic, but became more pruney in time and ultimately did not show well. One of the few wines of the table that had over half a bottle remaining at the end of the evening.

1997 Domaine Pierre Damoy Clos de Beze - Light body, light acidity and clean drinking with a little greeness up front. Later in the evening, it showed a little better than the initial observations, but overall probably characteristic of the vintage, an ok wine.

1999 Alex Gambal Charmes Chambertin - Started out plum nose, stewed fruits and a bit astringent, thought the wine was not very exciting. In time however, it transformed into a rich gorgeous drinking wine. An excellent wine. Several folks thought this was the wine of the night.

2000 Domaine Grivot Clos Vougeot - A ripe, rich, easy drinking wine that reminded me more of a California style Pinot than red Burgundy. First time tasting this producer and thought it was a good showing. Continue to be impressed with the 2000 vintage.

2001 Bouchard Clos de Beze - Youthful, gamey, strawberry, almost barrel sample like, thought this wine also showed very well. In time, it toned down a bit. Like the Grivot, it was a very easy drinking mature wine that was quite enjoyable.

2001 Faiveley Latrices Chambertin - Tannic and tight initially, becoming brighter in time with cherry and celery notes. Another very easy drinking wine. It was enjoyable, not over the top. A consistent good producer, though not as strong as others on the table.

2002 Arlaud Clos de la Roche - Exotic big wine, primary fruits, bright. Tasted near the end of the evening so may have been the alcohol, but wrote in my notes twice, “huge wine.” It was very full bodied and showed very well.

2003 Domaine de Arlot Clos de Forets NSG - Not the best showing for this wine, new cut grass, some clean cola notes, light, and not too inspiring.

2003 Joseph Drouhin Charmes Chambertin - Similar to the Domaine de Arlot, lighter in style, dilluted, celery, another just ok wine.

California

1993 Williams Selyem Russian River Pinot - Served blind, drank like a young California Pinot, cherry, balanced structure, and quite enjoyable. Never would have guessed 1993.

1994 Rutz Cellars Quail Hill Russian River Pinot - Also served blind, did not take notes on this wine, but recall it showed well. Like the Williams Selyem, surprised how young it drank.

2000 Enotria Neibbiolo Mendocino - The final blind wine tasted, also did not take notes. Several at the table guessed it accurately as a Neibbiolo! Thought it was just ok.

2005 Marcassin Three Sisters Vineyard Pinot Noir - Extremely ripe next to the Burgundy, sweet raspberry, thick and rich. One of the brighest Marcassin ever tasted.

Cheers!

Great notes Nick and a hell of a lineup. Leflaive ceases to amaze and the CMs are really outstanding. How would you compare the 01 to the 02, in case you’ve had it?

Faryan, a very good lineup for sure! Becoming a huge fan of Leflaive the more I taste and wondering if they ever do wrong? Have not had the 02 CM, so unfortunately cannot comment on it specifically, but given the producers track record, would imagine the wine would not disappoint!

Lovely line-up Nick, the 01 Leflaive Chevy is one seriously good white Burg.
Best Regards
Jeremy

Nice notes. Whites were impressive.

Yeah, I’d second that, well ahead of the '04 Chevalier to my mind…

The '01 Ramonet Rouchottes in a wine I have had a few of lately, a lovely little wine…

Thanks for the notes.

This was a night (happy-hour++) where the wines really sang. Sometimes it works that way. Great wine variation in our no format concept, most everything tasted really good. Good thing the Flyers took game 7, Manny was a happy camper glued to the HD wide screen in the Sojourn Tasting Salon. Until the next day that is ….

2001 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet, Grandes Rouchottes – simple, lighter-weight, nice flavors, nothing special. Pleasant.

2001 Domaine Leflaive, Chevelier Montrachet – the Monster from Midway. Classic petrol/diesel, a bit tight on cork pull, really opened up over two hours, very long finish. Smoking good = wow.

2002 Coche Dury Bourgogne Aligote –Classic Coche signature but this wine does not have the stuffing. Ok-ish but there are better choices for the $$.

2007 Niellon Chassagne Montrachet, Les Champ Gain – Dr. Bob called pre-premox on this one, and it did seem rather advanced for a 2007. Big, round, ripe, fairly mature, good drinker – for now …

1993 Louis Jadot Corton-Pougets – Great detail and linear focus. Super bright red in color, looked like a 2007 early picked CA Pinot. Mid-weight, complex, mineral, this wine is just coming into its own.

1993 Pierre Gelin Mazis-Chambertin – Underperformed, maybe a bit over the hill, mediocre, more advanced than it should have been.

1997 Domaine Pierre Damoy, Clos de Beze – Although several thought this to be a great wine, I was less impressed (and I brought it). Opened with some air into nice integrated wine. Gamey, nice length.

1999 Alex Gambal, Charmes Chambertin Wow, another winner. I had this tied with the Corton for wotn. Very concentrated but holding the Charmes detail. 1999 power behind it.

2000 Domaine Grivot, Clos Vougeot – Big, fat ripe styled wine, a lot in the mouth, very tasty, very powerful.

2001 Bouchard, Clos de Beze – Really nice detail, not super big but a beautiful wine. Nice spice components.

2001 Faiveley, Latrices Chambertin – Over-oaked, mediocre, rather tannic, disappointing – maybe this one got ripped too early and in the wrong company

2002 Domaine Arlaud, Clos de la Roche Great concentration and complexity, surprisingly open for a 2002, almost fat, rather sappy. Great flavors, rich and big. Fun wine.

2003 Domaine de Arlot Clos de Forets, NSG – nothing special, although I had the 1993 a couple of weeks ago and that version was crazy good …

2005 Marcassin Pinot noir, Three Sisters Vineyard – Best Marcassin I’ve had in 3 years, maybe one needs to rip them early. Big, candied but not sweet sugar-wise, sweet tannins, delicious

2003 Joseph Drouhin, Charmes Chambertin - Late pull, no notes

2000 Enotria Neibbiolo, Mendocino – Did not try

1994 Rutz Cellars Quail Hill, RRV – Served blind, clearly CA with its weight and texture but No One guessed 1994. Very together, this tasted more like a 2002 or 2003. Nice wine, nice flavors, fun, mid-weight.

1993 Williams Selyem, Russian River Valley –very transparent, very light in color, this one also got pulled late (by me) – I should have ripped this earlier as it would have been a solidly possible Burg ringer. Fresh and lively, great color but clearly an older wine this could have subbed-in for a Chambolle. Great flavors, delicious cherry. I could drink this way often.