Somebody Feed Phil

I am a big fan!

Fair take, Ethan, I suppose. If you tuned in hoping for a foodie show where the host waxes on about sourcing and local this or that and culture and cooking technique, blah blah blah, you’ll be disappointed. To me, it was a light-hearted, unique way to see a place through a regular guy’s eyes with a food focus who is funny and doesn’t take himself seriously.

1 Like

Like I said in my original post I was turned off at first. I started enjoying it more as I used it as a way of traveling vicariously through him. Then I started to really enjoy it. I’m dying to take a trip. Just need that :syringe:.

He was a producer for Everybody Loves Raymond.

Steve, not just producer, he was the show’s creator. You can really see a lot of Ray’s character as well as the supporting cast in the Feed Phil series.

I thought he was the creator too, but wasn’t sure, so I just posted what I knew for sure. Huge fan of ELR too.

And Phil is married to “Amy” from ELR.

I liked this show from the first episode (Venice), a place we had recently visited. The Buenos Aires episode was quite good, as was Copenhagen, Lisbon, and a number of others.

The reality is that most of us travel more like Phil than [insert snobby foodie show host] so maybe we don’t like to see what we really look like? Its definitely the everyman’s food show, which like I said upstream is what adds to the appeal(for me).

TW

Wife & I love Phil and have watched every episode.

We have seen every episode and really enjoyed them. Sure, he is a bit goofy, but he does not take himself too seriously, and seems like a genuinely nice guy. With all the serious shows featuring advanced techniques and endless competitions, I find him extremely refreshing.

Cheers!
Marshall

We love Phil and like the original OP searched for food and travel shows to help cover the gap of not traveling. His sheer joy for both food and friendship was much needed in 2020. Our favorite episodes were Venice and New Orleans. We were ELR fans and you can see his humor and personality in both shows. We also love how he’ll feed the crew and strangers. Phil is a real Mensch ! Would be great to share a meal with him.

And Ray appeared on the LA episode, but I think that was the earlier series (I’ll Have What Phil’s Having).
It’s a great episode with some famous faces.

Phil was at a dinner I was at a few years ago and while not a chef he knows a lot about food and restaurants. He is well traveled and has invested in a few restaurants. He also has a little bit more of an edge in person and plays up the wholesome side for the show which I think works. I didn’t know who he was at the time because I never watched the Raymond show.

We really enjoy Somebody Feed Phil and I’m glad he mixes in some high end restaurants in most cities he travels to. Bourdain seemed to stop doing that in his last few seasons. The London and Seoul episodes have been our favorites so far.

Probably closest to this. I’ve been to many of the places he has in the series, so it’s fun to see what Phil does when he has local hookups. That said, I hate his schtick and focus more on the food/culture stuff he’s sharing. Seems like it’s gotten better after the dipshittery that was his first season.

I love his shows. I appreciate that his joy and kindness doesnt seem like an act and he seems to really love good food and people.

Definitely a schtick element in there. Seemed obvious to me in the New Orleans episode.

I like his 80% of his shows very much, though

Rest In Peace, Max Rosenthal.

Yes indeed [cheers.gif]