Some recent TNs: Dubois, KB Koplen, ABC Knox, Thackrey Aquila, Carlisle

• 2005 Jean-Luc Dubois Côte de Beaune Beaune-Cent-Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune (5/28/2009)
    It’s been a year since the last bottle and, in review of my prior note, the only thing that has changed is that the wine is more complex. Earth, a touch of brett/pinot funk, and an amazing depth of cherry that goes on forever. Popped and poured and drinking great right now. It will be interesting to see how this develops further.
  • 2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Koplen Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/24/2009)
    Opened, poured a glass and smelled nothing but alcohol and red raspberries. I thought it was flawed based upon the nose but got distracted in the kitchen and didn’t make it down to the cellarto pull something else. Wife comes in, pours a glass, takes a sip and comments on how good the wine is. WTF? So i try it and, yep, its pretty damn good. Continued to sip as I prepped dinner and it continued to get better. On the palate it showed rather deep cherry, red raspberry and a touch of cinnamon and allspice. Also a touch of sweetness but not jammy. Very nice with zinfandel braised short ribs. Finished after dinner and it had developed a rather silky texture but began to show some heat. Keep at cellar temp and this will be fine.
  • 1999 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir Estate Bottled Knox Alexander - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (5/16/2009)
    This continues to drink fabulously. Great balance of fruit, spice and acidity - nice complexity that allows you to contemplate it as the finish hangs on. Wish I had more.
  • 2003 Sean Thackrey Sangiovese Aquila Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (5/15/2009)
    Decanted for 2+ hours. On the first pour, initially yielding VA, strawberries and some earth with the acidity really poking out on the finish. Sat for another hour and revisited and was less disjointed. Another 30 minutes in the glass and it had finally come together and was drinking very nicely. Strawberries, leather and earth and a lengthy finish.
  • 2004 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/12/2009)
    Wow, is this drinking well. Extremely well balanced, great dark berry fruit and some spice pops in the mid-palate and carries through on the lengthy finish. A great pairing with pork chops with ancho & cocoa rub.
  • 2002 Sean Thackrey Sangiovese Aquila Eaglepoint Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County (5/6/2009)
    Very interesting wine and drinking well. Tannins are smooth and no noticeable heat. dark red fruit, cured meat and a touch of leather. Nice pairing with mushroom rissoto and tortellini with a veal ragu.

Posted from CellarTracker

pork chops with ancho & cocoa rub

Man, that sounds tasty! Do you make your own rub, or is that a store-bought concoction?

Hey Jeff! Thanks for posting those notes.

Did you grab that Aquila in the closeout bin or have you held it since release? I got a couple when they were closing them out.

A.

Steve,

It was a recipe in a recent Food & Wine - here it is: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cocoa-and-chile-rubbed-pork-chops" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They were probably the best pork chops I’ve ever cooked/grilled.

Andrew,

I do buy wine directly from Thackrey (mainly the Pleaides, Andromeda and Orion), but only recently some Aquila (and Sirius) with his recent price reduction. But I did buy the '02 Aquila when closed out by the distributor recently. First bottle I opened was corked but the last two have been pretty damn good.

Jeff - thanks for the recipe link!! Can’t wait to try it. Keeping the KB’s at cellar temp is critical IMO for drinking enjoyment.

As a devout fan of Carlisle, I just don’t get the Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard. For some reason they just don’t do it for me like many of the others.