Some notes from Wednesday's BBQ

• 2004 Turley Zinfandel Hayne Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (8/27/2009)
    Big and rich and hedonistic, yet well balanced and not nearly “over the top”, loaded of fresh crushed black fruit, plums, anise, cocoa powder, spices and pie crust. Velvety smooth and very seductive. Delicious Zin. (93 pts.)
  • 2007 Pegasus Bay Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Canterbury, Waipara (8/27/2009)
    Crisp and clean, loaded with slate, minerals and chalky notes, good amounts of grapefruit, mango and lemon zest, a really interesting wine and perfect for a hot summers eve. (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Mer Soleil Chardonnay Barrel Fermented - USA, California, Central Coast (8/27/2009)
    A really solid Chardonnay, some oak and toasted vanilla, as well as coconut, some nutty flavors and ripe orange zest, very well balanced and smooth, acidity is noticable but unobtrusive. I have enjoyed 6 bottles of this over the summer and I have liked each one. (90 pts.)
  • 1997 Kalin Cellars Sémillon - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Livermore Valley (8/27/2009)
    Seemed over the hill and slightly oxidized, earthy flavors, matchstick, odd. I had a bottle about a year ago and it was much better than this. (72 pts.)
  • 2001 Mitolo Shiraz Reiver - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (8/26/2009)
    Yummy, dark and rich, well built, loads of ripe fruit, densely packed core of cocoa and creme de menthe. Drinking really well right now and may last another 5yrs or so. (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/26/2009)
    Gorgeous nose of rhubarb pie, strawberry jam and coriander. Well built and very well balanced. This is a fantastic Pinot that was loved by all in attendance. (91 pts.)
  • 2006 Casa de la Ermita Viognier - Spain, Murcia, Jumilla (8/26/2009)
    wood, wood, alcohol, wood, absolute plonk! (60 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

There was also a really nice Merlot from Washington, and I didn’t write the name down, once I get it, I’ll post the notes.

Wow, 5 in the 90’s, 2 in the DNPIM category and nothing in-between! Is that ever hit or miss.

It was feast or famine.

That Viognier sounds right up my alley?

You should try the 2008, sounds better…a note I found online…

“a fragrant nose of lychee, peach, tangerine, and orange blossom.”

You missed that part, Mark!

Maybe I should have Kenney send me some.