Some impressions on the 2015 Barolo vintage

Would love to hear more about the 2013 F. Rinaldi Riserva. I posted a thread around the same time unbeknownst to seeing yours. 2013 F. Rinaldi Barolo Cannubi Riserva - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

My quote initially. But yes, in my mind, the 2010 Granbussia is a perfect wine. Please share you impressions when/if you taste it.

If I run across it I will taste it and let you know. Odds are not in your favor. I have probably tasted 20,000+ wines and so far only 2 have reached the top floor.

Pietro Oddero was in town yesterday and stopped by for a quick visit/taste. Oddero is a historic estate with history dating back to the 1800s. I have limited experience with the wines as the former importer was difficult to work with. Wines were impressive and certainly leaned traditional. Wines from several well known and important vineyards - Rocche(CF), Villero, Vigna Rionda, Brunate and even in Gallina from Barbaresco. Large Stockinger barrels from Austria. There were some very interesting aspects to each wine. If my schedule will allow I may do a visit to the estate in April as I will be in Piedmont for 5 days.

These wines were young and tight. The Villero especially so. And they will require time. The wines were certainly interesting enough to warrant a follow up. My tasting was limited to the two wines because several other cru Barolo and the Gallina were damaged during transport. We have had about a week of warm weather that has kicked off the spring bloom. And with it allergy issues that can make tasting difficult. So my notes are a bit short.

2015 Barolo - Nice light garnet, good rose notes and moderate tannin with fruit that is leaning blue and black, 3 vineyards contains some Bricco Fiasco fruit, very nice for base Barolo - Retail $46
2015 Barolo Villero - Light ruby/garnet, violets laced with cherry aromas, flavors of cherry/liquore are concentrated, fennel, much more rich, leather with moderately aggressive tannin, great potential - retail $78
IMG_8545.JPG

The Odderos are good. They say the base/normale is not younger vines or lesser fruit, as it is with many producers, but a blend from vineyards like Fiasco where they don’t have enough fruit to bottle separately.

In Piedmont now. Cool(50) and rainy.

Sounds like spring anywhere…and welcome after a bruising winter.

Thanks for your riveting and articulate report Miran, brimming with infectious enthusiasm!

Rain is welcomed, they have been dry for two months.

Back home after spending 10 days in Italy. I am feeling pretty beat up right now, but will post about some wines. This mostly gets it right.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2019/04/barolo-and-barbaresco-set-to-shine

IMG_8764.jpg
Did a tour/tasting at Oddero after meeting Pietro here in Richmond. An impressive lineup of wines. The two 2015s were very good and merit consideration. If you were to judge the vintage on these you would be pretty happy.

2015 Barolo - three vineyards - Bricco Chiesa, Fiasco, Capalot - 40-60 yrs vines - 20-30days inox - med-large barrels - light red color, cherry, pomegranate laced with violets retail $50

2015 Barolo Villero - 50+ yrs vines - 25-30 days - large barrels 30 months 350 cases - slightly dilute red color - warm red fruit, accented with herbs, cherry/plums, moderate aggressive tannin, deep $87

oddero makes a langhe riesling? is that any good?

Yes , several producers are making Riesling. Vajra probably has the best. And Ettore German does a nice one also. I like the Oddero. But am not sure about the price as my dist does not currently carry it.

2016 Langhe Riesling - light yellow with green hues, inox, clean,dry with restrained fruit, no petrol notes, generous minerality

I second what Gary says about the rieslings. Vajra is my favorite, but Germano’s is very good, too. Vajra’s is more like a German Trocken while Germano’s is a bit more Austrian in style.

Vajra doesn’t list the riesling on their website. I hope they haven’t abandoned it!

As far are I know they haven’t, I tasted the 2018 with them this spring.

IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg
Rating for 2014, 2015 and 2016 from Barolo MGA Vol II by Alessandro Masnaghetti. Seems he liked 2015.

Good! They seemed quite dedicated to it. It must just be a website omission.

We tasted it with the family a few years ago when visiting. Isidoro said they were the first to plant it in the region and were very proud of it. I see it regularly and highly doubt they’d stop making it.

starting to see some 2015 offers pop up

Yaaay!