Some great wines at Starry Kitchen (Haut Brion/Leflaive/Krug)

Starry Kitchen just recently re-opened their night time concept of Asian comfort food. Huge portions, delicious flavors and some of the best fish head/tails I’ve ever had. I highly suggest it, pricing is under $20 a dish and the portions are gigantic.

Prior to the notes, from what I’ve read, Pierre Morey retired from Leflaive in the summer of 2008, so prior to harvest. There seems to be a drastic change in style from 2007 / 2008-present. The wines have gotten much fatter and have that tropical sheen that I always think of when I drink Lafon. The two wines were night and day. I’ve also had the 09 Pucelles and it tastes very similar to the 08 but even fatter. I’m definitely going to stock up on 07 and prior and completely avoid all the present vintages… definitely no longer in my wheelhouse.

We started off with a NV Krug which was drinking splendidly. Rich deep citrus fruit with just the right amount of cream. Nom. One of the best bottles I’ve had in awhile.

• 1966 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (9/27/2012)
    The wine opened up over the course of 2-3 hours as initially it was very lean and cool but started to develop red cherry, earth and spice that get picked up with the long acidity. Although the flavors are all there, they are a bit on the weakside as I can imagine 10+ years ago they came out in full force… at the moment they are a bit weak. A softness to the texture as the tannins have resolved.
    Tofu Balls and Haut Brion, match made in heaven

• 1994 Dominus Estate Napanook Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/27/2012)
    Holy majorley this was incredible. Within 20 minutes in the glass the wine just explodes. Huge firm body that contains a rich dark red fruit with undertones of cool eucalyptus and soft acidity. The finish lasts forever and it’s just so perfectly balanced together right now. It still needs to shed a touch of baby fat but it’s drinking great now… I can imagine in 5-10 years it’ll be an all star. Easily top 10 Cali Cab experience for me.
  • 2007 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (9/27/2012)
    Intense, concentrated bold citrus flavors with boatloads of acidity run through the palate. The wine is focused and clean and the texture is dense and the structure is delicate. Just a wonderful wine and beautifuly elegant. Comparing the 07 and 08 would be as if the 08 was the skanked up girl with too much makeup on twirling around at the club going WOOOOOOO and the 07 would be the gorgeous refined girl who is mocking her wooo girl friend.
  • 2008 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (9/27/2012)
    wide open for drinking right now. Lush, round, and slutty tropical fruit and a touch of vanilla oak envelop the front palate. Extra rich but the fattness of the wine reminds of lafon. Not entirely enthused by the change in style from 07 to 08 and beyond. The wine is too big and too fat. I think people who like Lafon, Sauzet would love this wine but for me right now I’d prefer the far superior 07.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great stuff there, Fu. Hope you have more Leflaive to share…never mind, I just checked your CT, save those for me!

Nice notes Charlie!

Charlie,
Thanks for the notes and the nice photo. Love the Starry Kitchen crew. And nice to pair the Leflaives. I’m a HUGE Pierre Morey fan, both what he did at Leflaive and also what he did solo, which was different but also great, which he’s been knocking out of the park for decades. Interesting to hear your take on the differences, I was very sad when I heard he left, but haven’t been buying recent Leflaive because of pricing anyway.

Cheers,
-Robert

Great notes! Wish I could have made it.

I don’t know much about that 2008 Pucelles but skanked up girls sure can be lots of fun sometimes [cheers.gif]

Nice notes Charlie. Agree that the dominus and 07 leflaive stole the show. And the food mmmmmm

Agreed on the crew, they did a great job with the pacing and Nguyen was great the whole night.

Don’t wait on the 94 Dominus! It’s supposed to retain just a tiny touch of baby fat so you know its Cali, and the tannins are largely faded. It’s peak! Lucky you, Charlie. Great lineup!

Just got a couple bottles of the 07 Leflaive Chevalier so I’m glad to hear the Pucelles was showing so well. I’m with you Robert - Pierre Morey was doing great things at Leflaive.

07 Chev is incredible. Destroys 08

Happy you came! We will haveto get together again soon

Thanks for the heads-up…just made reservations for later tonight!!!

Get the fish head/tails (I think the best dish on the menu). The pork belly fried rice. The claypot fish. The Crab. Can’t go wrong. Tell Nguyen I sent ya!
Also bring your own stems, their stems are the suck. Call ahead for the crab, they might be out early since it’s saturday

Heh, we are ALREADY talking about you! We will be getting some good stories with dinner, I am told. Calling for crab now…thanks!!!

I must agree with Charlie on the 94 Dominus. It was indeed a fantastic wine. Towards the end of dinner, the 66 Haut Brion definitely started open up more. 07 Pucelles blasted 08 Pucelles off the table . . . sigh. . . now I’m thinking if my 08 Batards and Chevs are gonna be fat and rich. Hopefully, they will develop better than the Pucelles as of now. As always, food was great.

Wish we kept the rest of the 08 pucelles to see how it was the next day

Agree, but the '07 needs to be left alone now, while the '08 is far more approachable…