Some brief notes - 1993 Roumier BM, Engel G Ech, de Vogue BM, 99’s and others…

Seems the greater the wine the less likely I am to post notes. Not so easy to put words to…
Line up of some 1993’s and more…
1993 Roumier Bonnes Mares – Great freshness and detail, primary and closed. Huge potential.
1993 Domaine René Engel Grands-Echezeaux – Perfumed and complex, generous yet still impression of youth. Most personality.
1993 de Vogue Bonnes Mares – Primary, more structured but not overtly so, opened well and has great promise.
1999 Leroy NSG Boudots – Great breadth and power, perhaps a little too much ripeness.
1999 Rousseau – Clos St Jacques – Much more detail and complex than the Boudots, a great wine and I can’t think of a better CSJ.
2003 Roulot Perrieres – Fat and dense, best after two days in the fridge.
2004 Fourrier Combes aux Moines – Great wine, a challenge to 04 detractors.
1990 Gaja Barbaresco Costa Russi – Possibly the best Barbaresco I have ever had, perfect in every way, thanks John – Killer plus.
2000 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune – Great but not up to the 99 had the previous week, broader without the detail of the 99.
1976 Remoissenet Père et Fils Richebourg – aged, a rarity for me and much appreciated.
1989 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot – Unbelievable, primary and complex, biggest surprise – Killer.
2005 HAG Hospice Bouchard Père et Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières – my last bottle, a fat Meursault, great with crayfish.
1989 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia – had with the Gaja, more broader and fat.
1995 Marcel Deiss Riesling Schoenenbourg Vendanges Tardives – riesling on the label but this is a blend, little aged riesling character, primary but I struggled to get a hold of the wine.

Thanks for the notes, Mike. I’m holding off on '99 Rousseau CSJ as I have just a couple bottles. I may cave in and open a '93 de Vogue (Musigny, no BM in mt cellar). Glad you enjoyed the 2004, but I don’t regret selling off all the 04’s I had.

Lew, I would not rush and open the Moose unless you have a few which I guess you have… the BM is always a much more approachable de Vogue and even so the 93 needs many more years…

Mighty line-up Mike. The 90 Gaja is a monumental Barbaresco.
Best Regards
Jeremy

Some pretty serious drinking, thanks Mike!!

Would have really enjoyed drinking that '93 Roumier, sounds like most better '93’s, still a fair way to go yet…

Sounds like the '93s are still in need of patience,Mike, so…I hope to let them sleep until 2013, partly based on your comments here…even the “lesser” stuff.

I agree that most good 93s seem to need more time to be attractive (to say nothing of mature). A recently consumed Bachelet Charmes reinforced that view.

Yes, 93 needs time, certainly at this level. I expected more aged characters from at least one, the Engel perhaps, but the purity and focus of the vintage similarly dominated all. Would have liked to have had a few more to look at like the Bachelet Charmes, a favourite wine of mine, but it seems it would have shown likewise from Maureen’s experience. Still all wonderful drinking and much appreciated in that the Roumier and Engel came from a friend’s cellar, Nick who just left for Beaune to check on the 09 vintage for me [thankyou.gif]

It was, I can still taste it, wine of 2011 so far. Do you know how it compares to the other 90 Gaja’s?

Mike,
I had the 90 Sori San Lorenzo and Sori Tildin a few months back and both are on my shortlist for wine of the year, near perfection in Barbaresco. The 90 Barolo Sperrs is incredibly powerful and youthful, about 3 decades away from its apogee.
Best Regards
Jeremy