Some 2003 (yes 2003) Chateauneuf du Pape

I best thing 2003 CdP has going for it is 2007 CdP.

That said, the best 03s I’ve had have been quite drinkable and they were quite inexpensive on release. I concur that most drank well or better young. The worst of the vintage are quite bad, but still usually better than 2007.

The 03s I’ve enjoyed, some a lot:
Pegau (outstanding each of the 4-5 times)
Beaucastel
Usseglio tradition and MA
Fortia Baron (one that drank much better in release)

Pegau came in second in this batch if it is any consolation… :slight_smile: I didnt dislike it. Will take that bet on 5 years tho, I have more to try then.

Stumbled upon a couple of bottles of 2003 Bonneau CdP (not Celestins) in 2013 and tried them that year out of curiosity - both were enjoyable and not over the top.

Cheers,
Doug

Is this a common opinion? Or does Parker anointing 2007 Rhône as the best vintage ever from anywhere come into play?

Good question, Brady. My comment is mostly based on direct experience with the 2 vintages — I’ve found the vast majority of 07 CDPs undrinkably alcoholic with shrill, spiky acids overlain with candied fruit — but there was also lots of trash talk about the 07s on the ebob site before the paywall.

Unfortunately, bottle variation with the 03 has caused me to have really poor experiences - overly ripe and/or over the top Betty. Bummer . . .

Had an 03 Pegau cuvee reservee at 5 years of age and it was an all time memorable wine. Couldn’t believe they could pack that much fruit in a bottle and gave it a perfect 5 out of 5. Second tried at eight years of age and the wheels had come off, with the worst elements of over ripeness. Didn’t have enough bottles to find out if this was bottle variation or it was how this wine goes. Interesting comments above that it may be the former. Regards.

Laurence told me at the winery, that there was a shipment of '03 Pegau CR that was cooked in transport to the U.S. I unfortunately, got a 6-pack of it when I was adding a little more '03 Pegau to my cellar. My other '03 Pegau has been very good, but still on the young side for where I like it. Cheers

I wonder if I got some cooked bottles. Is there any well to tell without uncorking it?

This bottle was not cooked.

The cooked bottles that I got ALL had capsules that were stuck on in place. Some wine had gone up to the top of the capsule and glued it in place. My good bottles all had spinning capsules, without wine going up the cork. Night and day difference in taste.

10+ years … for all who think the 2003 fruit is too much …

There is no RdCelestins in 2003, only a Marie Beurrier and the regular …

Larry,
If you ever make it to London, please let me know. I have pristine bottles of the 2003 CR, and other wines, that I would be delighted to open and share with you.

Cheers,
Nicos

Forgot I also had a few bottles of 2003 Vieux Telegraphe, was pretty much buying VT every vintage at this point, deep in my period of CdP focus.

This was the best of the 5. Very restrained for the vintage and very recognizable as VT. VT to me ages deceptively long and this can likely improve for another 5-10 years (or more). Wouldn’t rank this as a top vintage, but not a disappointment by any means