So explain this to me like I am a 5 year old....2018 Palmer

ignorance from my side - how does alcohol strength (typically) affect lifetime? I naively expect it to increase lifetime?

Well, Iā€™ll confess that I actually found it kind of delicious for what it was so try it for a change of pace. Especially when you have some jam-loving friends over.

I feel abv tends to affect expressiveness more than ageworthiness.

Thanks. I guess that makes sense once said outloud. Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you are the only person I know that gets gifted awesome wines. [cheers.gif]

Iā€™m sexy like that! [cheers.gif]

The client also gave me a piece of art from an abstract artist in Argentina. :slight_smile:

D9592B7F-BDA7-45AB-AB07-1DBD5876208E.jpeg
This is from my Ovid and Caymus loving client and close friend! He knows better than to gift me new world. That would be like giving me an Impressionist painting.

I see a policeman in that painting

1 Like

For the life of me, I will never understand how so many people can comment on, and offer opinions on wines they have not tasted. But this is the Internet where everyone can play.

As probably the only person on this board who has tasted the wine twice, in barrel and in bottleā€¦ Along with Lafleur, it is a definite candidate for wine of the vintage. You can read my notes if you likeā€¦

1 Like

Oh Jeffois, You are so amusing.

We are just the little people here. We are not the jet-setting VIPs hosted at private dinners and tastings at the various, historic Chateaux. We are not sent thousands of bottles of this fine elixir for tasting, ruminating, and delivering flamboyant prose to the unwashed masses. Maybe just maybe us peons occasionally are offered a taste of these precious liquids, allowing us to circle back on this website to impress our friends with our unique access to the wines and our astute ability to identify every nuance in every dimension, horizontally, vertically, diagonally, and of course, Circuitously. Thus, we are relegated to offer rank, uneducated opinions for the sheer entertainment value.

We just ainā€™t worthy.

No, but you are witty :smiley:

It is a stunning wine. And if you read my note, youā€™d see production was slashed by 75%. In fact, if you read my note early, you could have bought some cheap flirtysmile

And riddle me this Batman, why is it when folks pontificate about wines they have not tasted, it is always negative? I never see people say a wine is great without tasting it [stirthepothal.gif]

I bought 3 magnums in spite of your notes [wink.gif]

Clearly you will hate it. Didnā€™t Jeffois call it ā€œliquid sexā€? Gift me one. Iā€™m an excellent and gracious recipient!

My favorite post of the year!

1 Like

Alfert is the living embodiment of the ELP song ā€œLucky Manā€ Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man - YouTube

HA. Kane texted me that he saw a ā€œPigmanā€. Iā€™m dying. [snort.gif]

Quite simple, el Jefe, its a FOMO coping device. convince yourself its bad, and you donā€™t feel like you missed out on something.

Iā€™m in the ā€œbought Palmer thanks to the Leve reviewā€ camp BTW. Along with a shed-load of other 2018s. Sure hope you were right champagne.gif

I am still very confused about this. The story seems to be that a nature event cut their yields. Okay, I can see how that would be conducive to making an extraordinarily concentrated wine. But what was the ā€œrisk,ā€ exactly? How did they throw caution to the wind? The yield-reducing event had already occurred. There was nothing to gamble on. They were going to make a wine with whatever was left no matter what. What would have been the less risky, more cautious option?

1 Like

As it happens, I had 89 Palmer last night. My comment to my friend before he had his first glass was that it tasted just like you expect, in a good way. Very classic, balanced, Bordeaux. Not really more of anything or in any direction than youā€™d expect, just down the middle and really good.
FD4CDCC3-1566-4B35-AE5C-4189D42D6754.jpeg

Iā€™m well out of my depth in this conversation, was just trying to explain ithe recent price increase, cant explain the oenology behind the wine :slight_smile:

The risk was that they would mess up in the cellar. With so much concentration you can easily create a caricature of a wine if you donā€™t handle it right. They didnā€™t ā€œtook a riskā€ but there was a risk that they would mess up.