Sniffing the cork

As you state Pete, there is a time when TCA has definitively effected the wine and it does not have that wet cardboard element. That can happened even when the cork is enudated with TCA and the wine has yet to express it other than lose its composure. Not only is the wine stripped of its fruit, but also its power evidenced most recently by a wimpy/ minimally fruity Corton Charlemagne I had earlier this week.

I have the server pour me a small taste of the wine.
I sniff it and then taste it.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/237538/This-Is-Spinal-Tap-Movie-Clip-Smell-The-Glove.html
I only smell the glove! Smelling the cork is pointless.

Smelling cork has no bearing on if cork will taint wine or not. Even so, I always do it. But…I am a cork dork. Ha ha

I smell and taste the wine to determine if the bottle is good. I often look for signs of seepage and feel the cork to see if it’s supple, spongy or brittle, but mostly out of curiosity, not to help me decide if the wine is good. I don’t normally sniff the cork, but might if it’s spongy or soaked just because those corks often have a nice aroma reminiscent of winery barrel rooms.

If the wine does have TCA I’ll usually sniff the cork, again out of curiosity. I can usually but not always smell it on the cork.

I’ve had a couple of bottles over the years where the cork smelled obviously of TCA from a foot away but the wine was fine. I think these were exposed after bottling, perhaps during packing or shipping. I’ve occasionally had a cardboard box (not a wine shipping box) reek of TCA.

This is how I feel. I probably don’t smell them more often than I do, but I like to smell the older corks. I don’t smell them to determine if there is TCA, but rather as part of the experience. I always look at the cork to see if there is writing, how spongey and long it is, how far has the wine soaked into it, etc. It is part of the fun for me.

+1 on #1

And see articles on wine fraud…

Very surprised to read that some people don’t find a cork smelling of TCA isn’t strongly correlated with TCA infection in the wine.

For me it’s not a given either way, but I do find them strongly correlated.

Often correlated, yes, but having found quite a few false negatives and false positives, I don’t see any point in checking the cork. Why not ignore the cork and smell the wine if I’m going to have to smell the wine to find out what’s really going on anyway?

It depends on where the tca is at on the cork whether it will taint the wine. If the top or sides are highly contaminated but bottom touching the wine is not, the cork will wreak of tca but wine will be sound. TCA doesn’t migrate through cork. This was studied by Dr. Paulo Lopes some yrs ago where he spot contaminated cork and analyzed the wine over time. My website is down for maintenance but I will link the study when my website is back up.

Hi Doug
For me, it gives me warning that a little more focus may be needed when smelling / tasting the wine (if I smell TCA on the cork). Also there have been occasions when the wine was stripped of fruit, but TCA not so obvious in the wine (but more so on the cork). Not a substitute for then smelling and tasting the wine, but a useful indicator.

Fully agreed on the false positives and false negatives. FWIW I’m not the greatest at picking TCA - on a number of occasions I’ve sensed the wine stripped (and undoubtedly others when I didn’t know the wine, and just thought it poor), but without smelling the aromas that would give it away.
Regards
Ian

It seems so. See posts 11, 12 and 14 above. I can’t say because I’m not religious about sniffing the cork.

When I’m pouring at a big consumer tasting, and I have to open 2 cases of wine before the tasting starts, I’ll pull the cork, sniff the wine side of the cork, and if that smells like what I expect from the wine, I’ll jam the cork back in, and open the next bottle. If the wine side of the cork is off, with TCA or something else, I pour wine in a glass, then smell and taste that. Rarely does the cork lie, but there are occasions when my quick judging of a wine’s soundness by sniffing the cork has failed, when the cork smelled fine, but the wine was corked. I can not recall a time when the wine side of the cork smelled like TCA, but the wine was sound. It’s either full on corked, or so muted, it’s not worth drinking.

Restaurants are a different story. If I’m out with my wife or wine friends, I’ll sniff the wine side of the cork if it’s presented to me. However, corks are presented less and less as the years go by. But even if I smell TCA on the cork, I always confirm cork taint by smelling the wine in the glass.

Damn this thread [swearing.gif]

2014 Burlotto Barbera, lugged back from a winery visit… you guessed it. Corked.

FWIW the (bottom of the) cork smelled strongly of TCA, whilst on the nose of the wine it wasn’t obvious, but it was there in the background. I had a taste to be sure, and whilst it wasn’t badly stripped and the wine recognisable, there was just a little missing and the TCA came through here as well.

In this instance, the strong aromas on the cork, might well have saved me having half a glass before I spotted the taint - like I said, I’m not especially sensitive to it.

Cool insight!

I smell the corks to see if I can smell anything. If I smell wine, that means my allergies are in retreat and the wine will be great. If I smell TCA, they should have noticed it in the winery before bottling.

Carrie has a pretty sensitive sense of smell and usually picks up TCA on the cork, open bottle or glass. If it’s real light it might take her a sip or two.