Single Thread Farm Sonoma

2 nice breakfasts in the library room with our friends. First was awesome. Next day, different server, a rather indifferent fellow, was a lesser experience.

Having only been open since December, I think it has gotten off to a very good start, and it deservedly falls somewhere in the spectrum of Bay Area 3-star restaurants. There were a handful of knockout dishes, for me. Skillful repetition should improve their execution and service. I’d also like to see them up their sake list.

We are staying and dinning at Single Thread in late June. Really looking forward to it. It’s sounds right in our wheelhouse from a style perspective. Understated and Japanese are positives for us.

Alan, interesting that you mentioned Addison amongst some of your highlights. We are hit and miss at Addison. First time was great, last few times the menu was very heavy in both portion sizes and richness of dishes. Chef has real skill though and they have a nice wine list.

havent been to Addison in 3 years but have about 10 data points from dinners before then. Wine list was one of best in nation–Jesse Rodriguez’ baby.

free if you bought the $1000/night room.

Got back last night from a 2 night stay at Single Thread. The overall experience they have created is really great. The room, the service, the amazing breakfast, the experience on the rooftop deck, all were top notch.

For the dinner, the room and service were spot on. Each dish was cooked perfectly with top quality ingredients but we were missing that one dish that blows your mind or takes you to a place you haven’t been before. Compared to other recent high end meals I thought the highs were higher at both Brooklyn Fare and Benu. I thought they could have pushed the Japanese influence even further. Another quibble is it was just to much food. I could only manage a bite out of the last couple of courses and we left pretty stuffed.

Wine service was impressive. We went with the reserve pairings and thought they did a really nice job with pacing and glasses. A couple of grower champs, sake, 01 Spatlese, 14 Dagueneau, 10 Dauvissat, 81 Montelena and a fun 86 Zinfandel that was drinking like a nice Bordeaux. Like the food, I thought it was actually to much wine but I’m probably in the minority there.

I don’t want to send the wrong message that we didn’t enjoy dinner. We loved it and would return in a heartbeat. A few small tweaks to the menu and I think it could be one of the best in the country.

I agree I would not spend that for dinner, but judging from your food postings on fb somehow I think you spend more that’s that in a month.

I missed this quote the first time through this thread. I have friends that feel the same and I understand it. I think high end dining is a relative value considering the quality of the ingredients and the skill involved in preparation. The ingredients being key. I don’t go out to steakhouses on my dime because I feel I can source similar quality ingredients and prep just as well at home. I don’t make sushi at home because I don’t have the skill and don’t have access to the variety and quality of fish that the best sushi restaurants do. In that situation I have no problem dropping $300 on the best sushi because I really value that experience.

Single Thread got to 2 michelin stars out of the gate. Pretty impressive for a new restaurant. I think they could get to 3 with a few tweaks.

Bodega and Bodega Bay

Not new, but Terrapin Creek. 7 years with michelin star. Andrew and Liya are awesome!

Lunch at Spud Point, if you can stand the line. Birds has legit calm chowder made by Bostonian.

Santa Rosa

Bird and the Bottle have worked out the kinks and it is awesome. Starks owned.

Any updates? We are have reservations next weekend and am wondering what wines did folks bring or buy off list there? Was either wine pairing done well?

Thanks in advance.

The pricing on wine is just absurd, and everything is current release. No attempt at procuring interesting wines. There’s a whole page devoted to a single Bordeaux producer that doesn’t even work well with the menu.

Stop by K&L on your way up and grab these:

1998 Schlossgut Diel Dorsheimer Goldloch Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel Auction $80
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1301913

2002 Lanson “Gold Label” Vintage Brut Champagne $70
http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1088895

I don’t care if the corkage is $100 each, limit two. You’re better off BYOB.

I brought wines: 85 Krug, 86 Bonneau du Martray CC, 88 Drouhin Beaumonts. Don’t remember corkage.

sigh, the wine list has now been “updated”. No more deals =( All those wines… just sitting there not being consumed.

I will be stopping at a wine shop, no question. The vertical of Bordeaux on this list, with this menu, seems incongruous.