Sine Qua Non Fall 2021 offering

You should be getting on about now then. It actually seemed to shorten a bit last year. champagne.gif

Best Manfred quotes:

ā€œRemember, being popular on WineBerserkers is like sitting at the cool table in the cafeteria of a mental hospital.ā€

ā€œMaybe the best non-Eleven Confessions Syrah we have ever made. I absolutely love it!!!ā€

*OK, he actually wrote ā€œFacebookā€, but probably still applies here.

2 Likes

Any idea when the 2017 EBA wines from Eleven Confessions will ship?

Now that is freaking hilarious. And it applies here more!! Well done. [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Iā€™d be a buyer of a few bottles if anyone wants to share

Less customers to deal with, and everything is still buying their full allocations.

1 Like

Estate boxes always ship in November. Thereā€™s about 9 month between offer and shipment.

Iā€™d be willing to share some if youā€™re local to Chicago northern suburbs and will come pick them up. PM me.

I quote a couple of the above posts (showing 2+2 and 6/3) as examples where SQN are trying, I believe, to align allocations with what people have expressed a desire to buy in order to drink. I seem to recall at some point in the past Elaine sent a survey to folks who were going to potentially make the list and asked about interest in qualities, acknowledging that pricing had changed significantly since the customer signed up, etc. They really are trying to deliver their product into the hands of people who want to drink it.

To reiterate, their model, as I understand it, is to sell direct to consumers in the absolute sense of that wordā€“buyers who are going to consume the wine. Although Manfred has posted (I think on this very board) that what people do with their wine once they buy it is their business, I think their desire is to sell to people who drink it. I donā€™t think they are trying to ā€œhireā€ ā€œdistributorsā€ who then resell a few bottles here, a couple of magnums there, etc. I think people who do that start to think they have a right to buy the wine and resell it, which contravenes the goals of SQN.

2 Likes

My offer is down to a bottle each. They must read my posts or something.

This all makes sense, but my point is selling packs of 3 + 3, or even 2 + 2, instead of offering an individual nearly a case of each (I see a 9 + 12 above) would get the wine in more peopleā€™s hands and probably discourage purchases for resale. Iā€™d be happy just buying 1-2 bottles of the Syrah for example, but am probably fairly far down the wait list.

There has been much discussion here around Macdonald, where I believe the vast majority of list members are allocated only a 3 pack.

Iā€™m still on the wait listā€¦sadly, probably a couple of years to get there. Congrats to those of you on it, and enjoy!

I donā€™t think SQN is flippable any more. Not since 2010. Look at the listings on Winebid. When you consider what it actually costs to get the wine delivered to your door (more than $190) and what the seller premium on winebid is, you canā€™t make a significant profit flipping any wines released after the Stockholm Syndrome.

1 Like

It isnā€™t. I flipped an estate set here for maybe $50 profit. This isnā€™t the unicorn it once was and after finally popping a bottle I can live without it. Nice to have in a collection obviously.

Iā€™ll probably drop off after the next offering.

1 Like

What is flippable for more than 50% profit these days in CA? Less than that isnā€™t worth the trouble. Not that I really care, just curious. I always share my allocations with my friends at cost.

Screaming Eagle, maybe MacDonald, thatā€™s about it.

1 Like

I thought the EBA stuff was more ā€˜flippableā€™ for a profit, no? I wonder if the EBA Saxum stuff is holding stronger than their usual stuff as well?

Cheers

1 Like

Pretty simple economics. Wineries have raised their prices to the market clearing price point. There was only going be a short period of time that they were willing to leave money on the table when they saw their wines were being flipped for two plus times of what they sold for for current releases.

The current pandemic situation has caused a speed bump so you are seeing some restaurant only wines showing up at retail but I donā€™t expect that to continue after the economy gets back to normal.

As I said in my quote above, I am fine with 2+2, and I would have taken 3+3. Beyond that, I may have not taken any more. They have me about right.

I hope you are right. I am starting to forget what ā€œnormalā€ used to be. It appears we are in an endless purgatory of mutating virus forms. If there is an indoor dining ban again put in place this winter I donā€™t know if restaurants are going to survive in any form we are used to. All the weaker trees in the forest have probably been thinned out, how much longer until the healthier trees start to drop?

1 Like