Since when was entry level Meursault so damn expensive?

Actually I had a superb Bourgogne white today. Domaine Dujac 2007. Unbelievably good.

That statement makes no sense whatsoever.

This is fabulous!

Interesting question - I thought of it recently but don’t know enough about Meursault to bring up the topic as Mark has. I wondered the same because I recently had some of what I considered among the top Chardonnay experiences I’ve ever had - 2011 Vincent Dancer Meursault Les Corbins. Binny’s had it for $50, and I was surprised Meursault was $50. Then I looked to see that elsewhere it’s priced closer to $60…so I bought a 6-pack!

I feel there are deals to be had, especially the 2011 vintage. Last August (2015) Milton Road Trading Company in Napa (Cameron’s spot) had 2011 Henri Germain Charmes for $60 a bottle. Absolute ridiculous wine at the price. Just gotta keep your head on a swivel.

Don’t know of it’s availability in the US but Chavy-Chouet has excellent Meursault at what should be $35-ish over there (that’s approximately where it’s at here now), and their Genevrieres is about $50. Very good quality Meursault from an up and coming producer, but of course not on par with the best.

Also, I see Roulot BB is fetching absurd prices in the US now, same with PYCM. Perhaps harder to find here, but Roulot is about $30 and PYCM about the same when you find it. Suppose that’s difference between allocated but cheaper and freely available but expencive.

Othe excellent buys are A. Jobard BB at about $30, Taupenot-Merme St. Romain at about the same price and a few Côte Chalonnaise wines. There are a few excellent Rully (particularly the 1er crus) out there now. One favorite of mine is Pascal Clements Rully 1er Cru Rebourcé at about $20-25.

Latour Giraud Meursault villages '14 $49.
Narvaux '14 $59.
That with 35% of a regular crop, for OUTSTANDING quality. Top press to boot.
How cheap would you realistically hope to pay for good quality meursault villages?

He forgot the sarcasm emoji.

Buy PYCM St Aubin.

[shock.gif]

Today’s 2016 Domaine Diconne offer from Envoyer made me think of this thread. I haven’t had the wine, but the price may be worth dipping my toes in the offering.

Cheers,
Warren

cheapest wine-searcher pro today is $73.98.

Very pertinent bump. I was talking someone about the sudden proliferation of “new” Meursault producers being imported.

Producers making mostly village Meursault. “Old vines” sources with one or two 1er cru. All village opening at $75 a btl with 3 figure old vines Meursault.

I laugh at myself over my growing list of wines that “I used to drink/buy.”

I used to love Premier Cru Puligny Montrachet. It was my go to white - - - in the 1970s and 1980s. It was the cheap Montrachet.

“New buyers are going to be paying a lot more for their fine wine.” by Mark Golodetz » March 27th 2018, 1:57pm

I would buy a lot of that at $73.98. You’d be slightly retarded not to buy all of it at $50.

Original post was from 3 years ago

#timemachine

I actually bought a bottle of 1973 M. at an internet auction for around 37 (incl. shipping) … but that was a “once in a lifetime” … unfortunately … [cry.gif]