Signs & Symptoms of Premox in a 2014 Huet?

Agreed and there are a lot of reasons why a wine can show oxidized and pre-mox really needs to be at the bottom of people’s checklist. As has been discussed a myriad times before, plenty of things can go wrong in the supply chain that can oxidize a wine and pre-mox is a systemic problem that starts at the winery and affects a significant amount of production.

Yes. Traditionally, that time period you mention happens to be a wonky time in a Loire Chenins evolution. When it especially comes to Vouvray, the “rule” used t be, drink them within the first couple of years of release, or hold for at least a dozen years past vintage. However, with climate change, gentler handling of grapes and less use of sulfur, the “rules” likely need to be changed and it might need to be on a producer by producer basis.

Btw, fwiw, the '96 Huet Le Mont and Le Haut-lieu Sec are pretty notorious for showing extremely oxidative when first opened, but with air they clean up beautifully.

1 Like

I had premoxed 2010 Huet Haut Lieu. Four out of six bottles, all from the same lot, were great. Two were oxidized. That suggests premox at the top of the list for me. Random bottles within the same lot showing vastly different levels of oxidation at an age when none should be oxidized is more or less my definition of premox, though perhaps others view this differently.

FWIW, the problem in no way seems / seemed to be confined to Huet. Most of my 2014 Chidaine wines were toast, with only a few sound bottles. Now that could be a more systemic problem ala supply chain. In any case, I mostly stopped buying Chidaine, and I’ve bought less Huet. I’ve not encountered premox in any of the more recent Huet vintages I’ve purchased. I’ve also found the wines less exciting, but that could be changes at the domaine, changes in my palate, or drinking the wines too young.

It shouldn’t. Your first thought should be they’re oxidized likely due to heat along the supply chain, and/or cork failure, unless you’re reading about a lot of reports of problems from a lot of markets.

Pre-mox, as I’ve mentioned in other threads, in the trade, has come to have a specific definition where there’s a systemic problem that begins at the winery and affects a significant portion of a wine(s).

I love this ! Thanks Dan.

Well these bummed me out. I had the '19 Le Mont Demi about 2 years ago and it was fantasticly fresh.

Unless it’s simultaneously being reported in at least six different time zones on at least three different continents, then you should just shut up and pretend you love the wine.

— Brad Kane, probably

2 Likes

Oops I fell on my keyboard, I meant to say these were full of life and fruit

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re learning.

1 Like

Had a badly oxidized 2014 during Christmas. Premox or just an unlucky bottle, who knows. But another data point. Atleast I knew it had been stored well since release, so that was not the issue.

Way too many reports for this not to be real. I had bottles with indication of advancement only 2-3 years after release. Drank and sold all the rest. Frankly, same with 19s. I still love the wines, and will buy and drink them young, but no way I’m cellaring them.

1 Like

All anecdotal of course, but recent 2009 le mont sec, and 2010 Clos du bourg sec were each pristine.

Did Huet ever switch to DIAM?

I have a lone bottle of 2017 Le Mont Demi-Sec and was planning to hold it for 10 more years.

Don’t know if the demis (and sweeter) have any issues. I’ve only had secs, at least with any age on them, for quite a while.

At our age, that’s great news