Should wine writers be certified?

I am also surprised that 7 people said ‘yes’ but have not voiced their reasons.

While we’re at it, we should make sure that ALL wine makers have a degree from UC Davis. Wine making and writing is srs biznazz. We must control everything and make sure there is an appropriate level of uniformity.

You mean that every winemaker that has a certificate from UC Davis isn’t the next Helen Turley?

I think with the strong opinions being tossed around against it, I think we may have scared them off.

Right from their website: “Today, in keeping with its original aims, the Institute promotes a cross-disciplinary approach to understanding wine at the highest level and conducts wine trade education which leads to the qualification Master of Wine.”

I get the rational reasoning behind it, but do agree, MW’s and winemaking are usually not said in the same sentence. It’s literally about being a “Master” of wine. Kind of like He-man, no? [highfive.gif]

I voted for “would be helpful,” but I don’t think it should be required. And I would add that some of the lower-level certifications verge on meaningless (imo).

As for the specific comments about the MW, the theoretical portion of the MW program covers four basic areas:

Paper 1: Viticulture through alcoholic fermentation
Paper 2: Postfermentation treatments, maturation, QA/QC
Paper 3: The business of wine
Paper 4: Contemporary issues

In essence, half of this portion of the exam revolves around production and demonstrating a sound understanding of growing and making wine. It certainly would help to have some hands-on experience, but it’s neither necessary nor sufficient for passing the exam.

–from someone who’s failed two attempts.

The question is vague. Should they be certified? If certification helps one become more knowledgable, yes. But does the question imply that we should not allow anyone to write about wine until they obtained a certification? If so, then the answer is a strong no.

Tom Johnson wrote a cheeky response to this. good stuff

http://excellentproj.com/2011/01/14/wine-writer-certification-test-cheat-sheet/

Snarkily hilarious.

Some LOL answers in there! [rofl.gif]

The one part I can’t tell if it’s a joke or serious is “Écrivain du Vin”. Did they really give it a French name for writing in English or is that his joke?

Too funny.

…the initial pilot program will produce between 25,000 and 30,000 high-quality wine writers…

[rofl.gif]

There’s a huge difference between the knowledge required to pass WSET Advanced (I’m sure you’re right that you would breeze through it) and WSET Diploma. Diploma is intense and is a 2 year program at minimum, taking many more like 3. Lots of people who register give up without finishing. That’s the prerequisite for the MW study program.

As far as the technical knowledge required, Diploma has a fair amount of that. Of course it’s nothing like what’s required of MWs, but it is so much more than Advanced covers that there is no comparison. Keith, I think the idea behind requiring so much technical knowledge for the MW exam is that those people should be well versed in every aspect of the wine trade, including production, so that they can intelligently converse with anyone in the business and have a thorough understanding of how decisions in the vineyard and the cellar affect the finished product. It makes sense to me.