Should critics taste blind?

If people (both critics and their readership) insist on point scores, then the tastings should be done in accordance with established sensory testing protocols. This would mean that all wines are tasted blind, under the same circumstances (same glassware, same serving temp, same location). The wines would also need to be tasted multiple times, in a randomized order, with statistical outlier data points (scores) being discarded, etc.

Any arguments to the contrary seem to boil down to some permutation of “it’s too hard to do that”.
This may well be true. The time and cost constraints of tasting in the manner detailed above would be huge.
But that shouldn’t prevent us from recognizing that the whole point system, as currently practiced, is inviting (further) inaccuracy in the name of expediency.

Should critics taste blind?

No, but they can do it until they need glasses. neener

Sorry. I read the title, that thought popped into my mind.

Seriously, I don’t care whether they taste blind or not, but I do want to know which it is. I also think it is beneficial if a publications notes are consistent one way or the other.

The Wine Spectator tastes their wines blind. Say what you will, but they appear to have strict ethics codes regarding their procedures of tasting wines. So it is possible to adhere to this. I guess those guys are not as busy as other wine critics.

It’s less a matter of ethics and more a matter of professionalism.
Ethics only enter into it when you promise one thing and do another.

I doubt that the Spectator rigorously follows the protocols I alluded to above.
Tasting blind is only one part of the whole picture.

Yes, I am referring to ethics here.

Comments like “I taste blind whenever possible” and then you never taste blind suggest a question of ethics.

In Mr. Parker’s defense (not a phrase I find myself using all that much), the statement allows for a lot of leeway.
Though it is so vague that I’m certainly in favor of clarification on this point.

Bruce:

I have asked Parker for clarification on a recent thread in his bulletin board and he decided to ignore the question (He was online when I posted).

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?p=2694018#post2694018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It does not appear that he will answering the question.

SALUDos,
José

Yes, Bruce, it is very vague. Thanks for clearing that up. headbang [truce.gif]

Maybe Bob will answer Jose’s direct question. I believe others have asked it of him as well over years. Why make claims that are simply not true?

I must have missed the part where we’ve determined that the claim is not true…
You’ve stated that Mr. Parker never tastes blind. What’s your source on that?

Never is a strong word, I suppose. He will taste blind at EWS in September. When has he ever stated recently that any of his reviews were done in a blind fashion?

“The wine was tasted at the usual venue where RMP and I taste with importers, The Oregon Grill in Hunt Vally, MD. Present was Mark Clinard and his partner in the Well-Oiled Wine Company, and Mark Noah, the sommelier who pours wine for Bob and myself. The wine was tasted from bottle; it was not presented as a barrel sample.”-Jay Miller

Clearly, he is not tasting blind at the Oregon Grille…

There ya go.
Now we know he does taste blind “whenever possible”.

Much like I have breakfast in bed with Keira Knightley whenever possible.

Given that tasting methodology is of importance to his readership (heck, he’s told us it is important), maybe he’ll come forward and answer questions like Jose’s.

Bruce,

I am aware that LEGALLY he has covered his bases. Much like he cannot control independent contractrors and the way in which they taste wines, the free trips that they take, and everything in between.

The guy is one heck of a lawyer! [welldone.gif]

“Whenever possible” is a loose term, which is why many people have asked Bob for clarification. Because he does not have to answer that question, he has ignored it along with many others for months, just like he ignored the WSJ.

Bruce,

What % would you put on the term, “whenever possible?” Because I am sure the courts in the US have decided somewhere that “whenever possible” has a % attached to it.

I found a “legal” definition of whenever practicable…slightly different

It is basically “anytime something can be done or performed”. Normally one would say, in a legal arena, that if it does not cause an undue hardship to one party or the other, then it is “practicable”.

Practicable and possible, while not interchangable, sure seem pretty close to each other. Of course, the undue hardship of tasting blind might actually be giving high scores to wines that deserve it and low scores to wines that deserve them. That would cause undue hardship to some importer friends.

It has been a long time since I had to deal with the uniform commercial code, but I believe that practicable and feasible are the same thing. Parker (and his purportedly independent contractors) should be tasting blind whenever he (they) can because, if you think about it, when couldn’t he (they) taste blind? There is nothing stopping him (them), except his (their) own expediency.

First of all, I am much in favor of blind tasting and that, as is said, whenever possible and under certain circumstances. Whenever possible means largely when wines are sampled in one’s own tasting room. True, some 50% of all wines that many critics taste are tasted at trade exhibitions (where it sometimes possible to taste blind and sometimes not), when visiting wineries (when it is almost impossible to set up blind tastings), and when visiting a wine consortium (again sometimes possible and sometimes not to taste blind).

The clearest single advantages of tasting blind is that it eliminates label bias and anticipations based on previous tastings of the same wine or of wines from the same winery. As to tasting non-blind, I do not perceive label influence as a major problem because that is precisely where the word “professionalism” comes into play. It’s all like listening to the sales spiel of a winemaker at a tasting. The professional learns to focus out on all but what is of importance to his tasting ability. The same is true with labels. It takes concentration but one can indeed set aside nearly all of our biases when tasting. Difficult but possible.

I also agree that blind tastings should arrange wines in comparable groups or flights or, as Mr. Parker calls them “peer groups”. In one’s own tasting room that should always be possible. What should be known is the vintage range, the varietal and the area/s being tasted. Nothing more. After the tasting note has been made no changes in the note or the score should be made. The only thing that might vary somewhat is the projected drinking window and that indeed based on the history of the wine or winery in question.

Some claim that not only should we critics always taste blind but that we should not allow ourselves to receive samples from producers. Now being perfectly honest, there is not an individual critic on this planet who has the budget to buy all of the wines that need to be tasted. That would mean that instead of tasting 5,000 or more wines a year, most critics would be limited to tasting 250-500 wines. Not exactly what we expect of a professional critic. That also means that we should not be tasting at wineries or at exhibitions. And that in turn means no barrel tastings and no advance tasting notes.

Some worry that producers will send “special” bottles to critics. Indeed there are some who do that and that is why a random number of wines are indeed purchased after first tastings – to be certain that no “games” are being played. The concept of purchasing is also for wines that either terribly under- or over-perform or for those wines that are not sent by a producer (their right and privilege) but need to be reviewed for one’s publication. For the most part, however, producers simply won’t go to the bother of sending out “special” wines. It involves too much work and cost and is much too embarrassing to be caught. (I do remember days when that happened but as they say “them days if pretty much gone forever”)

Some claim that tasting blind offers an unrealistic picture because wines should always be tasted with the foods to which they are best suited. I disagree strongly. The evaluation of a wine should be determined entirely by its standards and the critic’s interpretation of those standards. Nearly all wines taste better when consumed with food and certainly nearly every wine on the planet will taste better when consumed with cheese. Even though not always stated, the tasting note should make it apparent with which foods a wine will pair.

Some feel that tasting too many wines blind or otherwise in a too-rapid session does not give a true picture of what the wine will be like in half an hour, an hour, three hours or a day or two later. I agree with the concept of short term follow-up re-tastings and that is why many during their blind or even non-blind tastings will re-arrange their glasses so that a second tasting is possible after the first has been completed (that is to say, returning to various flights after each flight has been tasted). That second tasting will generally be within 1 – 3 hours after the initial sampling and the critic who cannot tell from that second tasting where the wine will be in another 5 – 6 hours should not be calling him/herself a professional. As to where the wine will be in two or three days, I frankly don’t give a damn as I believe no wine should be held responsible for its condition one full day after it was opened.

Questions, comments and objections will be most welcome.

Best
Rogov

Obviously I’m completely in favor of it and there are a few additional points that seem to be missed in some of the arguments.

1. There is no reason at all that one cannot follow the evolution of a wine through the day if the label is covered. What’s the difference? If you want to see how it evolves, you see how it evolves. If you don’t want to see the label, you cover it. No big deal.

2. Nathan - you seem to have the idea that someone goes thru a hundred wines at a sip and spit pace of five seconds and then moves on. If that is in fact what he’s doing, he shouldn’t publish his notes. I’ve done that and I’ve also seen people post notes on fifty wines that they tasted in the course of two or three hours at the same tastings I attended and they even put up their scores! WTF are those supposed to mean? Those tastings can give you an overall impression or a sense of a vintage, but not really much more, unless there are a few wines that are real outliers that you need to check later.

3. Peer should mean peer. So tasting red Bordeaux with red Bordeaux makes sense, tasting nebbiolo with nebbiolo makes sense, tasting sauvignon blanc from one vintage right next to garnacha from a different vintage makes absolutely no sense at all. You should be able to go back and forth and how do you do that with whites and reds mixed up?

4. People in the business or not in the business are not necessarily relevant. What is important is that each critic comes to his or her own conclusion without being sold. If I am at a blind tasting and included are some wines that I sell, I don’t mind having them in the tasting so I can see how they do. In some cases I’ve trashed them myself, much to my chagrin.

Yes, critics should taste blind. Non blind tastings are automatically biased on their face, no matter how objective someone believes they are.

Most professional wine critics honestly and sincerely believe themselves to be objective when evaulating wine in a non blind setting. But the psychology suggests that this is actually impossible because of subconscious elements in behavior.

The notion of the Ideomotor effect is that we are subject to psychological reactions that are detached from conscious decision. It’s not just this behavioral concept, but the idea that there are also many reactions on a more primitive level of the brain that derive from perception of the immediate environment associated with survival and well being, that guide our decision making and outlook.

Rogov, thanks for chiming in here with a fresh perspective from Isreal. Glad you joined our merry band of brothers…and sisters.

Great post Daniel and it all makes perfect sense.

Peter, Hi…

Respectfully disagree and that is why I referred to “professionalism” earlier. As the psychologist/psychiatrist learns to deal with transference and counter-transference, so can the critic deal with many of the more primitive and indeed subconscious messages from the more primitive part of the brain.

That all bias can never be done away with is apparent. That, in the end, is one of the reasons we select this or that critic to best follow…we learn their biases and adjust to them. (e.g. my own rather obvious biases in favor of Brunello di Montalcino and Chateauneuf-du-Pape, indeed even when tasted double blind)

Best
Rogov