Shiraz wines from across the globe

Shiraz wines from across the globe.
June 2017 @ Matteos restaurant

All wines tasted blind.

1970 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
Golden colour. Oxidative notes but still lively with crisp acid. Light on its feet. Good bottle of nicely aged Champagne.

White Burgundy bracket
2014 Domaine Heitz-Lochardet Meursault 1er Cru ‘Les Perrieres’.
Really beautiful Burgundy. White flowers with stone fruits and nuts. A crisp palate Good persistence on the palate. Eye opener.

2014 Henri Boillot Meursault 1er Cru ‘Les Perrieres’.
More depth than the Heitz-Lochardet. A touch of match stick. Youthful and entertaining wine.

Two quite different styles. Equal favourites.

Red Wine Bracket #1
2010 Wendouree Shiraz (Clare Valley, South Australia) #1st rank
Nice. Superb palate with dried herbs and aged meat. Classically rounded palate without any overt oak influence. Good structure underneath. Top wine of the bracket.

2010 Denner Vineyards ‘The Dirt Worshipper’ (USA) #4th rank
Raspberry fruit. Very juicy. Full on. Young wine. But lacking in structure and hence looking clumsy.

2010 Kasuda Syrah (Martinborough, New Zealand) #2nd rank
Nice fruit. Good balance. Very seductive. I had their Pinot before but time tasting the syrah. I really liked it. Second favourite of the bracket by most.

2010 Patrick Jasmin Cote Rotie (Rhone, France) #3rd rank
Savoury palate. Whiff of Brett. Gamey. Looked like old World.

Red Wine Bracket #2

2006 Guigal D’Ampuis (Rhone, France) # 4th rank
Floral nose. More up front palate but feel short. The abrupt finish did not go in its favour.

2006 Hartenberg ‘The Stork’ (South Africa) # 3rd rank
Bit herbaceous with some spices such as cinnamon and cloves. A slight awkward feel to it.

2005 Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier (Canberra, ACT, Australia) # 2nd rank
Very nice. Its Australia’s best imitation of Cote Rotie. I like the refined style. It drinks well throughout its life. Recent vintages are even classier. Occasionally they make a straight (100%) shiraz too.

2005 Cayuse Syrah (USA) #5th rank
Just did not like it. That’s all I wrote down. Now I cannot recollect why.

2006 Clape Cornas (Rhone, France) #1 rank
Absolutely beautiful wine. Great nose. Superb length and great finesse. All elements are well proportioned. Seamless. Top wine of the bracket (unanimous).

Red Wine Bracket #3

2005 Reveilo Reserve Syrah (Nashik, India) #3 rank
Dark fruit style. Bit vegetal and peppery and lightly drying tannins. Not sure what to make of it. Probably made as an early drinking style.

2005 Castagne ‘Genesis’ Syrah (Beechworth, Vic, Australia) #2 rank
Medium body. More savoury style. Chacuterie feel to it. Nice.

2005 Craggy Range ‘Le Sol’ (Malborough, NZ) #1 rank
Slightly voluptous style. Plums and berries. Smooth. Nice mouth feel and has good acidity to carry the fruit to the end of the palate.

As a kind gesture I was served last year a Castagna by the sommelier at Quai in Sydney among many other wines that night, and it made me want to fly from Calif to Beechworth someday. If it were available in the US I’d aggressively seek it out. Not sure which bottling I had though.

Love it. Nice teasing and notes Sanjay. I would have expected the 70 CdC to be oxidised as I have not had one in the last 10 years that wasn'tt. Ive also had some of the wines here and enjoyed the Boillot as you did, but really liked the DAmpuis much more.

I must have the Heitz-Lochardet Meursault now.

It appears your Clape Cornas held up and showed no ageing issues as has been mentioned on another thread recently. It`s certainly good in its youth.

Thanks for the post

There are a few wineries in Beechworth area that are making nice shiraz. Gioconda is one and Mayford is another. Quite different to the typical Barossa/Mclaren shiraz that you may have been exposed to in the past.

This Clape was only a decade old. So I would have expected it to shine. But next week at our offline we will taste a vertical of Clape going back several decades (possibly 70’s) . That will be an interesting exercise. Almost all of them would have been purchased by the members at release (and stored well) rather than purchased in the secondary market and thus the provenance should not be an issue. We will see how the chips fall.

Probably Genesis.’ Excellent wine!

Probably Genesis.’ Excellent wine!