Shipping companies hates me

The driver would have to make me feel pretty uncomfortable, and more than once, for me to report them to management. Everyone has a bad day. Never had a “ghost” delivery but that would annoy me more than a grumpy driver.

Heavy boxes, having to wait for a signature (my guys play by the rules)… sure it’s not forced labor but wine boxes have to be among the more annoying parts of a job that isn’t exactly inspirational to start with. Occasionally the delivery guy is in a hurry and a bit gruff, but not often.

I give them a tip every year around the holidays. They’re totally surprised and pleased every time. They say it’s not necessary and it’s their job. I doubt it makes any difference in their service but it sure cheers them up.

Also up 3 flights of stairs because you live in a 3rd story apartment [cheers.gif]

Yeah but the elevator worked most of the time!

And these guys have hand trucks to wheel the heavy stuff. Not to mention that a case only weighs around forty pounds. If that’s heavy, the guy should probably retire.

We did get a bunch of cases once. My wife said the Fed Ex guy was laughing. He came up first to make sure we were home before he schlepped them up. Two days later we had another delivery. He asked if we were opening a business. And my wife said he wouldn’t let her take them - he put them in the apartment for her. Good guy.

And that was basically it - we don’t get boxes all the time.

By and large the delivery guys are pretty good. I take boxes for neighbors sometimes so the delivery guys don’t have to make a return trip. Plus it helps create some sense of community with the neighbors.

your UPS/Fedex guys are lucky. Mine has to deal with wine shipments AND orders from Rogue Fitness. having to deliver a box filled with olympic kilo plates? I’ll take the case of wine any day.

But are the tippers, tipping the full 20%?

oh no here we go. [popcorn.gif]

When I lived in NJ, I had the same UPS guy for 20+ years. He was a total pro, very kind about carrying the heavy boxes for me (he knew to unload near garage, put on handcart and bring to cellar). I tipped him every Christmas, which I think was appropriate, considering he went well beyond just doing his job to help me.

In contrast, I had a revolving door of Fed Ex drivers, including some who I am sure didn’t even bother to ring the bell when I had multiple boxes, just left a missed delivery tag. Didn’t ever tip those guys.

In my experience, the UPS guys were better at their job than FedEx.

I set up online accounts with both UPS and FedEx. There’s no cost. One of the advantages would solve J’s problem, because I get texts when the package is out for delivery and when it has been delivered. No need for the doorbell to ring.

I would agree with that based on my experience last week with FedEx Ground (the worst shipper ever, or since DHL). I had four boxes coming from WineBid. When it hit the local depot to go on trucks for delivery (to my office), the local depot managed to put two boxes on one truck and two on another truck. Truck #1 delivered his two boxes just fine.

Truck #2 reported they tried to deliver at 1:30pm and “no one was around”. It’s a 10-story office building. There’s always someone around. I was there waiting for the guy. Basically, the driver lied. He never tried to deliver. I finally had to have the boxes held at a facility 15 miles away so I was assured of getting them.

My bad for not having these redirected to the local FedEx store.

I chose the option to have my last shipment of wines dropped off at FedEx pickup location. It came to my house and left a doortag. Lol

Sorry you had a bad experience with FedEx, John. Please let WineBid customer service know if you want your delivery preferences updated.

Isn’t there a max weight of around 70 lbs per package that delivery folks are required to lift as per the job description?

I do understand it can be rather physically demanding job, especially this time of year. Businesses get serviced first, so by the end of the day, multiple wine box deliveries to residences can be a bitch. With a multiple case delivery to a residence, I imagine smarter drivers would make sure someone is home before schlepping.

I have seen helpers + drivers on some UPS trucks.

With increased loads years round(online shopping explosion) and more traffic on the roads, drivers are squeezed. Perhaps rather than admitting they could not fulfill a day’s schedule and get a black mark, they ghost sometimes just to keep their jobs.

my wine gets delivered to the office; I have tipped the mailroom guys in the past - $10 is more than they get from anyone else, and helps create a ton of goodwill.

Really? Walgreen’s will accept your wine shipments and hold them for you to come pick up? That seems like a huge pain in the ass for Walgreen’s, and would create liability concerns on their part (i.e. are they “insuring” your wine while they hold it?)…

Walgreens holds my fedex packages as well.

Hi Russ,

It wasn’t WineBid’s fault at all. But if you folks will ship ground with UPS, I’m up for that. Thanks for taking an interest in it. Oh, and all my stuff looks good! champagne.gif

Hi all, we’ve talked to UPS in the past, and are always evaluating and trying to find better shipping options and prices! Customers are also to set up your own shipping relationships with third party carriers, many of whom we list on our site. Aero, Stagecoach, All Ways and others. Other Shipping & Storage | WineBid *note- these are not endorsements and there are no special offers, we simply list these for your convenience as shippers we know clients work with and can try to help you with. Hope that’s helpful!

I posted this on another thread related to shipping, but for those on this thread related to shipping:

• For what it’s worth, the warehouse is rocking and the shipping window is generally open and good right now.
  • Yes, we are acutely aware of the arctic blast coming across the country, so depending on your individual destination, it may vary, and if you’re concerned about your shipment then please let customer service know.
  • For those of you who want to take advantage of our subsidized shipping rates til the end of the year, (where available) or want to get your wines in time for the holidays, please check your shipping settings in your account, and/or email or call WineBid customer service to arrange your shipments.
  • Please double check your shipping settings in your profile online or in the app, some people are still set to ship “regardless of weather” or “immediately when the window opens”- and those can lead to automatic shipments.
  • The team will work their hardest to help you arrange the most convenient and cost-effective shipping that we can, especially if you are time sensitive for Thanksgiving or the holidays.

Happy holidays, all!

If I’m not home when the package arrives, FedEx automatically drops it that afternoon at a Walgreens a few miles away.