Sherry-Lehmann Master Thread (NY Times Article, Lawsuit, Retail, etc)

Why would I want to warn people to STFU when I do not have to warn them to STFU? There are four realistic possibilities here. One is that a fish stinks from the head and their entire bureaucracy is screwed up, but that’s all it is. One is that they have one asshole employee who is a screw up and he keeps scrambling to hide the fact that he is a screw up. The third is that they deliberately took a short position on the wine and they bet wrong and are having trouble covering the short. The fourth is that it’s a classic Ponzi scheme. Any other ideas?

My mother knew that I went to law school because my parents paid the tuition, so I didn’t have to speak in tongues to her just to prove it. Words like yours tend to be used by people who want to prove that they are something that they are not.

1 Like

They aren’t commenting on the transaction. Jay brought an issue to their attention and they said they would get in touch with then customer about it.

That seems entirely appropriate

An issue that was the topic of this thread. Of course, the email is a bit over the top. NY lawyer.

Well, I think its great that Jay still has fax line.

Like a quirky Japanese restaurant which only accepts take out orders that way.

(cash only, exact change appreciated どうもありがとう)

Oddly courts IME seem to want them too.

I’m not even sure where I would find a fax sent to the fax number on my business card, though I dropped it the last time I had a set printed.

To Jay’s question upthread, Sherry-Lehmann seems to be an entirely legit retail business, so it would be quite a feat to use the retail sales to cover a ponzi scheme on futures. Of course it’s possible, but then it remains not a full ponzi scheme. As for the futures side of the business, either the whole operation is poorly run (though contra-indicated by others’ posts) or there are some limited instances of screw ups, which may include failing to order certain futures or instead selling the ordered futures at retail and hoping the problem might go away.

John, can you please explain the joke about Les Charmes? Serious request.

I used to love the paper catalogs, especially the section on ‘French Country Wines’

1 Like

It’s a cheaper white burgundy. Not really wine people, more like coke drinkers that drink the same thing over and over.

1 Like

Maybe we can hear back from the OP, and get back on topic, since S-L has confirmed that it is has reached out to him?

OP joined in early january, has only posted about his own issue on this thread, and hasn’t posted anything in a week. he doesn’t care so doubt we should?

1 Like

Jay is correct. Lawyers (and Doctors, etc.) who speak to “civilians” in language you cannot understand generally do not have any idea what they are talking about and use jargon to cover up the fact that they are ignorant. If someone talks to you like that, run. Top professionals speak in English.

Contracts may be worded differently, but that is because they use language that has specific legal meanings. But, I was a tax lawyer and had to learn to speak English, at least when I was not talking to other tax professionals (and when I am discussing Burgundy).

2 Likes

Call them on the telephone and talk to a sr mgr. text and e-mails are a waste of your time. For that matter if you are near NYC walk into the store and talk to them.

Nothing takes the place of face to face or voice to voice communication. I simply do not do business with a company unless I can talk to a to a human being. There are many online companies that I have eliminated because of this. There will be more.

anyone else sending 100 page docs of blacked out pages to Jay’s fax?

1 Like

Faxes probably just go the some electronic format, so you won’t be bankrupting Jay on toner costs. More seriously, I think even most insurers gave up on only accepting faxes.

Obviously, you have no dealings with the IRS, which refuses to use email and faxes things all the time.

Go ahead. No one else? I guess you’re the only one with nothing better to do.

1 Like

I want to thank everyone who participated on this post. I received the wine today. Very excited!

2 Likes