Shepherd’s pie

I made a cottage pie (my mother-in-law and kids don’t like lamb…almost grounds for disownment) last night to bake and serve for dinner tonight. The version was a shot-in-the-dark recipe that had good ratings online.
Ground beef (I bought chili grind), onion, garlic, several herbs, and corn/peas/carrot from the freezer section, topped with cheesy whipped spuds. I’ll post pics later, but I’m already thinking about dinner.

That’s the great thing, the basic versions are easy and give great comfort food.

Another variation is mashed parsnips or potato / parsnip mash for the topping.
Also I sometimes put star anise in the mirepoix (remove before topping off the pie).

regular

Forgot to take pictures but, truth be told, it’s not exactly the most photogenic of dishes. It was fantastic and the five of us darn near finished the thing off. This was the recipe, which I followed directly with one exception: I thought I had beef broth but didn’t so used chicken. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie - The Wholesome Dish

We do a vegetarian version that comes out well - pretty much follows the standard version, perhaps throw in some mushrooms for additional texture/body if you want.

My version is beef with veal stock, HP Sauce, Worchestire Sauce, about a tablespoon of the Colman’s Shepherd’s Pie Mix.
Carrots, onions, peas, my ‘dirty’ mashed potato recipe and cheddar on to, preferably white buy yellow if its all I have, like this.
1268605_10151692849168034_1122188964_o.jpg
1237189_10151692849028034_2115700550_o.jpg

Shepherd’s for me is lamb to distinguish from cottage pie. A little Worcester Sauce and tomato purée with the meat and a little whole grain mustard and cheese in the mash.

Never heard of it, what is it?

Wow, this was amazing.

Beef cottage pie w Guinness gravy
48929D2D-2BD4-452A-B0B5-A9143E0996B7.jpeg