Sharing Tastings in Napa?

I’d be willing to bet people look to save money and split tasting fees everywhere.

Again, you’re misquoting her. She said she expects it, but you’re saying she requires it. Those are very different. She runs a small business and is giving away her time and product for free, with a hope and, yes, expectation, that the guest spend money as a result. But she’s not saying that a purchase is necessary in order to leave the property.

Thanks Merrill…errrr Nate. Maybe Merrill was only referencing her own personal tastings, but i took it as a generality. So possibly my mistake…but definitley not the opposite of what I asked.

So the rule of thumb should be if you don’t ‘pay’ for a tasting…you should buy the wine, even if you don’t like it. Is that the consensus?

2 Likes

Only if you’re Rich.

We share tastings so that we can visit more wineries safely. I can’t drink as much alcohol as I used to be able to, and a driver is not worth the expense as the total consumption isn’t excessive. We usually buy enough wine to offset the cost, as most wineries do that. Again, we’ve avoided Napa for quite a while as the costs have risen and so many other great experiences are available in CA.

IMHO Merrill’s way of doing tastings isn’t what the vast majority of people do, especially since she doesn’t even mention that she does them (even by appointment) on her site. From what I’ve learned you have to be referred or find a way to contact her and pretty much be almost invited. Cudos that this model works for her.

My point is that her situation is unique and not really where this topic began. At least not where most tasters would have thought to be the context. That said, we always ask, never assume, that splitting is okay, no matter where we are. Well, maybe not back when some friends insisted on going to V. Sattui. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No. Why do you keep assuming this is much more sinister than it is?

It’s a courtesy. If you like the wine, it’s a proper thing to do. If you don’t, then don’t.

1 Like

Personally, I think it is tacky to split tastings. If you are worried about driving, organize a car. There are some great services which relative to the cost of a Napa trip are quite reasonable… if you must drive then spit. Most tasting fees can be applied towards wine purchases. If you can’t afford the wine, you shouldn’t be tasting there.

2 Likes

You are f u c k i n g kidding, right?

Nah, you aren’t and that is why you are selling grapes now on the market.

C’mon Tex, wtf?

WTF, indeed.

Assume you mean rich as in wealthy, correct? [cheers.gif]

Wow, that got weird.

Not at all trying to make it out to be sinister (*removes dark cloak :wink: . It was mentioned that peeps are expected to buy wine at a free tasting, even if the don’t care for it. So I’m asking if that’s the general consensus for most here.

2 Likes

Why would I buy wine that I don’t like?

1 Like

Just don’t go to any “free” three day weekends at a time share if you don’t like sales pressure.

[scratch.gif]

shiver

Id much rather pay for shitty wine after a tasting than sit through a 3-day Timeshare weekend, ha!

This is definitely in the category of “thread drift,” and has been discussed amply in other threads. Nonetheless…
If a winery offers tasting without a fee, I do not necessarily feel obligated to buy.
However, if the service and experience are very good, I do feel that it’s reasonable to show recognition by purchasing.
If you feel like you’ve been shuttled through like cattle, don’t feel obligated. But if the winery owner, winemaker, or emissary has thoughtfully given their time and effort in a good-faith gesture of hospitality, show love. It’s that simple.

1 Like

If you are tasting with somebody that you regularly purchase from, lets say you purchase multiple bottles of just about everything they release just about every release, should you still feel obligated to also make an additional purchase when visiting/tasting?

You are a jerk. A class A jerk. Go f yourself.

2 Likes