Shared Allocation as a favor and now buyer is flipping them

Well, if the buyer’s intention when posting a “please share!” plea was to flip the wine, that seems pretty uncool. But are we certain of the buyer’s intent? And would the passage of more time have helped?

Years ago, I bought SQN from a fellow board member. Since then my tastes have shifted, as has the value of the wine. My initial intention was to drink the wine, now I’m less sure. Would I be an evil flipper if I sold the SQN? Does my intent at the time of purchase matter?

There might be more to the story, but on the surface this ^

PM the buyer asking why.

I would cut them off if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Agree 100%. To me, this goes against everything I believe about a community like ours. If buyers in CC are looking to flip wines they buy here, sellers should know that. I have zero problem with someone like William Gladstone who comes here and is very up front about his intentions. But to be deceptive and feign “desperation” in obtaining a wine for one’s own consumption and then quickly sell it for a profit is a very different thing.

At the very least, the buyer should be named in CC feedback so that other sellers can decide for themselves if they want to share their allocations with this person in the future.

Me too. What a jackass. I also agree that it’s a free lesson and to simply not sell to that person in the future.

This seems crazy to me, but I guess people should be asking that the recipients of such generosity not flip the wines.

Yes, I would very much appreciate that. I don’t get many allocated wines, but there are a couple, and I definitely want to know who this person is so I don’t ever sell them anything.

Funny…This is the first thing I thought to do as well and didn’t see anything recent. As a later post states, unless the buyer posted a request/plea to buy for personal use, I would let it go.

I agree…name the person. I’ve been the recipient of the boards generosity with regard to harder to get wines and often at cost. The seller did not have to sell at cost and could have sold with a premium but chose to be generous. I would never resell any wines I asked for in CC…I get those to drink and enjoy. Reselling (especially on the same board) for a profit just isn’t consistent with the spirit of the community. At the very least if you plan to resell be honest about it beforehand and let the person sharing the allocation decide.

So someone is desperately seeking an allocation of a wine by posting in CC. It’s an open cattle call for wine. You don’t ask why they want it, but choose to sell it to them as you were not going to buy the wine.

You also don’t know if several other posters responded to the person with offers - and perhaps he took them all. We don’t know.

That said - you put no conditions on the sale. You were not going to flip it yourself and were going to pass - and ended up most likely choosing to have the wine bought so you were seen as strong buyer on the mailing list.

So you don’t even know if it’s your wine he/she is selling and there were no conditions to the sale…and you’re upset?

Come on.

Your choice not to resell anything you purchase on CC is just that - your choice.

Attempting to publicly shame someone for taking advantage of an arbitrage opportunity is absolutely insane.

It’s clear from this thread that many people don’t want to share allocations with flippers. Why should someone be discouraged from putting that info in CC feedback? If it’s all okay, there should be no shame. Great transaction and then flipped it back on CC.

Or just put conditions on your sale.

Illegal? No
Immoral? A bit
Douchey? Absolutely

I would like to see you out the buyer

Next screaming eagle allocation you want to share you can pm me.

Douchey, ONLY .

Let me clarify one point in my original posting - I simply provided access to my allocation, and did not actually purchase myself - didn’t make any sense to make the wines do a round trip, with all the cost, hassles and risk of shipping (not to mention the illegality).

I’m also not going to name the individual or the wines - nor am I upset - just find it annoying, and there is a sense of breach of trust/faith, although even that is based solely on my own perceptions and expectations.

This qualifies as poor form, and nothing else.

And it isn’t Screaming Eagle. :slight_smile:

There is a post on the first page of CC where someone is offering some wines that they asked for a few months ago.

I really don’t see what would be wrong with posting something in the feedback area of CC stating only the facts of what happened here. Obviously a few of us would like to know for sure who it is.

maybe he tried one and didnt like it.

pretty easy to figure this one out. my suggestion, contact the seller. maybe they can give you greater clarity.

I don’t understand the outrage. The op never even owned the wines or even planned on owning the wines.

Different strokes I guess - I would have zero issues at all if I shared an allocation and someone flipped it at a profit. Good for them. Good for me too, I keep my spot on the list. Good for the winery, they sold their wines.

Bad for the mystery person who didn’t get a wish list item filled? That’s the only hole I can find in the argument. But that’s a stretch as something to get all worked up about.