Shafer HSS 2018

Been on the list for years. Maybe I’ll pick up a few bottles at retail when I see it. The reality for me is I have plenty of this and I’d rather spend the money on other bottles. $375 is hard to stomach.

Glad to hear others struggling with this. Like many on this thread, it was one of my first mailing list wines and I have been on it since at least the 1997 vintage. But yesterday when I got the email was the first time I didn’t order immediately. “Had to sleep on it” was my thought. The secondary market is frustrating; clearly regardless of the rating, the price is well below other “cult” wines (not saying SHS is “cult,” but quality is the same or better). But it doesn’t materially appreciate over time. They must make too much.

Anyway, like others, I have plenty and will likely pass, knowing I can buy later from reputable sources at lower prices.

Sorry Doug.

Mike

And with situations like this, I can understand why some are hesitant to purchase. How many other wines at this price and caliber can you regularly find at retail at or below release price, and as readily as HSS?

So interesting to follow from a business perspective . . .

It’s not your fault Mike. He’ll be OK.

Reached out to my LWS last week to see if/when they’d be getting in 2018 Shafer HSS and that I wanted three bottles. Got word today that it’s due in this Wednesday and at a price a less than directly from Shafer, albeit only $5.01 less but still less and I don’t have to pay the high shipping that Shafer charges. I paid over $50 shipping for 3 bottles of 2016 last time I purchased direct two years ago. The 3 bottles of 2018 I bought was the LWS allocation. I do feel good about supporting the smaller LWS while saving a few dollars.

Indecently, even though I haven’t purchased direct from Shafer in two years I just checked my account and I have 12 750’s and 1 magnum of HSS available for me to purchase.

2 Likes

Just received an e-mail from them asking if I was SURE not going to purchase my allocation… Seeing as I can easily find bottles on the market for $299 as opposed to $375 from the winery, I’ll pass.

One of my favorite wines but no longer a buyer at the current price. Bevan seems like a bargain at $195

3 Likes

You can still buy the 09, 14, 15 and 17 vintages at retail in the $250-280 range. Which is no bargain, but all the more reason to question paying $375 for the 2018.