SF Chronicle Article on World's Oldest Cinsault... In Lodi

I noticed the 2017 version of this is listed at 14.5%. Seems high for the variety IMHO . . .

Cheers.

Just had the 18 Turley…12.5%. Very translucent and bright fruited…wild berry, whole cluster, brambly…more of an easy drinkin, put a slight chill on, wine. Bought some at $20…a great summer sipper!

That’s a great price, Buzz - and I completely agree that it’s a fun, relatively easy to drink wine that is perfect for warmer months, and can even be served with a slight chill.

I’ve been pouring my 2016 in my tasting room, and it’s always fun watching people view the lighter color and then taste the wine. For a relatively lower alcohol red, the wine can still possess quite a lot of complexity.

Cheers!

Winery price!

Remember really liking your 15 Larry…what was the abv?

Buzz,

My 15 was about 12.0%. My 16, my current release, is listed on the label at 11.5% but is actually 10.8% (just didn’t think anyone would believe me if I put that on the label!!!). That said, since it’s 100% whole cluster, it is definitely not thin - such a fun wine to expose folks to (along with my Roussanne flirtysmile

Cheers!

Oh oh…Lary’s going over to the dark side…joining up w/ the IPoB crowd. Soon SweetAlice will be
singing the glories of the Tercero Wines!!! [snort.gif]

The Michael David 2014 was
14.7 IIRC.

It’s always fun when I pour my Rose, my aberration, my Cinsaut and my Carignane for folks - they ask if I am in the ‘low alcohol’ movement. I then break out my Grenache at 15+% and say, politely, no . . .

I am of the belief that every variety has a range in which the varietal characteristics take center stage - and not ‘winemaking intent’. Take Zinfandel, for instance - I have yet to have one under 13% (or more usually) that is ‘interesting’ and ‘speaks of the variety’. It can be done, but then you give up ‘varietal typicity’ in the end IMHO.

Same is true with a variety like Cinsaut. It is light and fresh - and if you try to make it into ‘something it’s not’, it loses its inherent characteristics and becomes just another red wine.

Cheers!