Settings to drink top bottles

If it’s only 1 bottle available then 4 over 3 so we can take the time to decant, prep the meal etc. I want more than a 3oz pour to fully experience the wine if it’s just one 750. If I have multiples then all scenarios apply, mostly #2.

A further note with respect to the options. I’d virtually always rather have four top bottles with four people, vs. one top bottle with four people. I know some prefer focusing on a single bottle or two. But using Michaels hypothetical 90 LT, give me four fine vintages of LT with four people any day.

1 Like

My first answer was obviously facetious, but I genuinely think all of the answers are right. I’ve had great wine events in each of the 4 scenarios. To me, drinking wine is an extremely social activity - I would prefer to do it with friends and discuss it; probably with a group of people who like wine at a restaurant. But I’ve also had amazing wine experiences with just one othe rperson or in other situations*. It’s both a matter of preference and a matter of who the other people are.

*And that includes events like Paulee. I understand the criticism some have of the events, but I think once or twice a year event they’re great, and they provide people opportunities to taste wines I’d never get to try otherwise. Some of the best wines I’ve ever had have been at Paulee, especially once I both became more confident in quickly dumping things I didn’t like and went with a group of friends. If I had a cellar of 80s and 90s Rousseau and Leroy maybe I’d feel differently - but I don’t.

1 Like

I prefer to drink top wines in a more intimate setting.

One thing that frustrates me when tasting various wines at dining establishments is the lack of control over the pacing of the evening. There are occasions when one wants to linger on a particular wine during the course of the meal/evening and restaurants seldom allow for that flexibility. On those occasions, the meal and drinking experience can feel rushed.

1 Like

In order 4, 3, 2 and 1. Scenario 1 can be fun from time to time but if the question is about getting the most out of a special bottle than 4 and 3 is what I find most successful. It’s really rewarding to see how a mature wine evolves over the course of a dinner which is best suited for 2 to 4 people IMO.

Agree, and this is where service quality is crucial. I’ve often asked to delay/hold the next course so we can linger on a wine, but I feel I can only do that at a restaurant where I have a good relationship and communication with the waitstaff

The biggest problem with huge multi bottle tastings is that ppl sometimes try to hold the best bottles to the end which at the very least you have palate fatigue if you aren’t hammered.

I always thought the biggest problem with huge multi bottle tastings is not being able to spend time enjoying the wines as they unfold. I don’t really care about missing out on those “best” bottles. I just want to be able to fully appreciate the ones I do try.

1 Like

Yep. The bottles fly around the room at warp speed, and all the nuance of a great wine goes flying out the window.

I really enjoy the social aspect of big offlines, but don’t think it’s a remotely useful forum for top wines. For the best wines I am much more fond of either small, in home dinners with 2 or maybe 3 couples, or just sharing a lovely bottle with my wife.

2 Likes

3&4, 2, 1 in that order.

3&4
For me, the best way to experience a great wine is to spend an evening with it. Partly because I can follow the wine as it evolves during the meal (I get 1/2 the bottle vs a single glass), but mostly because I love the simplicity of it all. No flights, or parings, or ranking, or evaluating. It’s you, your dinner companion, the meal, and the wine.

Home vs restaurant - restaurant is less work, but it depends on the restaurant, especially the service at the restaurant (i.e. don’t let them refill your glass until your good and ready).

The next best option. 5-6 people is still pretty intimate and I’m assuming 5-6 comparable bottles of wine on the table. I prefer home over restaurant for this, and prefer someone else’s home over mine (too much work!).

Bigger tastings are fun but they’re a different animal. For the 90LT level stuff, if this is the only chance to try them, sure why not. Just be on the lookout for stingy pours and rushed pacing.

I think it’s worth noting there’s a difference between stingy pours and small pours to ensure more people are able to taste the wine.

I think the difference is the small pour is sufficient for tasting, but the stingy pour is too small to properly taste the wine. At these types of events, expect the small pour, but be on the look out for the stingy pour. They could be spreading the bottles too thin or running out of a wine you paid to taste.

4-2-3-1 for me.

typically somewhere between #2 and 3. the biggest thing is the group size. my ideal situation is 2-3 couples, food that I know will be good either because Im making it or because I trust the establishment. would also prefer to know the food style will match the wine OK if its a restaurant (for example, probably wouldn’t choose to bring a 20 year old Mouton to a Le Bernardin or a Clos St Hune to a steak place)

A further note with respect to the options. I’d virtually always rather have four top bottles with four people, vs. one top bottle with four people. I know some prefer focusing on a single bottle or two.

Agree with Brad, smaller group, several complementary bottles.

But using Michaels hypothetical 90 LT, give me four fine vintages of LT with four people any day.

Since Brad teed this up, we did just that Tuesday night…five friends, four bottles of LT, 1990, 1993, 1996, 2005. All were superlative, the 1990 was heads above the 93 and 96…but the 2005 was the best wine I have tasted in recent memory, just astounding. Sorry to drift.

The in-home setting was the perfect venue.

1 Like

4, 3 or

3 Likes

Any and all of the above. Where is the option of RSVP chez Chang to the Berserker family?
You could invite all the people every weekend during the course of a year who have never had LT and who would immensely enjoy the special experience. But one thing you don’t want to do is drink it outdoors - that really kills any wine experience unless it is a young bolder wine.

4 followed by 2. Great wines always taste better at home and I generally like to have more than one glass of it.

4 then 2. Home sweet home. We can control all the variables.

Ideal is at home with 1-2 others. It’s fun to share the experience, but I’d rather get more than 1 small pour. Also a restaurant is good also if it’s the right one. Certainly not a tasting menu experience that’s going to distract from the wine.