Seriously? A $220+ corkscrew that isn't even double stepped

Maybe I’m just skeptical, but a 6 month warranty sounds like a crock of shit. 6 months?!? Seriously!?! (In my mind) That means the company views warranting these (very expensive) corkscrews beyond 6 months as a risk it doesn’t want to take (b/c it’s not profitable for them to do so). (In my mind) That’s a huge red flag that these are not built to last. Caveat emptor.

You didn’t read on the site where it says “Warranty”? You get a 6 month money-back guarantee IN ADDITION to a lifetime warranty:

“The Code-38 Professional Wine Knife range has been designed and tested to withstand the torturous demands of busy hospitality environments and is covered by a manufacturer’s international warranty covering any defects in materials or workmanship for the lifetime of the product.”

I stand corrected. Now THAT is one helluva warranty!!

All the hand tools I sell come with a lifetime warranty and I can’t get a single guy to spend $245 on a professional screwdriver. newhere

Sorry. Pro or not, I think that is ridiculous. [snort.gif]

The lifetime warranty is the reason I buy Craftsman hand tools.

I’d think an air-powered impact wrench is a more apropos analogy, and if you sell Ingersoll-Rand, then I don’t suppose you have any trouble getting pro service techs to pony up a few hundred bucks for one instead of swinging into Harbor Freight for a $29 unit. Hell, even Harbor Freight sells $250 impact wrenches, for that matter…

…in the same way a Ferrari 599 is ridiculous compared to a Ford Focus from a who-gives-a-shit-about-cars perspective.

I was the one who posted this in the Durand thread.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?p=495325#p495325

I’ve owned a Forge de Laguiole for ten years and at the time I purchased that, I think I paid around $75.00 USD. Last year (and I posted about this also) the helix snapped trying to pull a cork. I contacted the seller, Wine Appreciation Guild (NO AFFILIATION) and I was charged $25.00 shipping to have the knife returned to the factory in Laguiole, repaired and sent back to me. In the course of those ten years this tool opened a minimum of 2-3 bottles every night blush. Granted that’s probably about 25-30% of the use it would get professionally, but still above average I suspect.

After seeing the web ad for the Code 38, I felt that this was being marketed not just as professional grade, but well into the luxury end of that spectrum. Sort of like a gold plated Sawzall. I mean here’s the Kershaw at $60.00 for comparison:

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/knifes-and-hunting-knives/kershaw-sommeliers-tool

Even Mr. Fleming’s beloved Thiers Sommelier is a bargain by comparison:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/wineopeners/waiter/3292.shtml

$220.00 for an entry fee and $410 for the lux model just seems like marketing to egos to me.

As for the Durand itself, I don’t think it’s fair to compare because it seems to be a specialty tool meant to extract older, more fragile corks and it has proven itself very capable in that regard.

my $.02.

Is your corkscrew air powered? Made with over 40 parts? Nope. It’s a couple machined parts with a hinge that takes physical exertion to make work. I think it more closely resembles a screwdriver in that regard. Besides, with the level of service I provide I should be getting $400 for my screwdriver. If it only removed broken corks. sigh

My Ford Focus will get you there in one piece just like you Ferrari. The only difference being nobody is looking at me going, ooh, ahh… But I’m OK with that. [pillow-fight.gif]

No, people don’t get it because they cannot think outside of the box.

Okay.
[truce.gif]

It’s time for a screw off!!

OK, here’s my entry:

I totally get it.

[cheers.gif]

Classy.

I sure wish the Kershaw was still available through that link. I tried that link around a year ago, and the information I got then was that the Kershaw wine key is no longer being produced. If anyone knows where I can source one, I’d appreciate it.

Dude…you owe my hospital a keyboard, I just bathed it in diet coke.

I think we should all get a badge like the donor badge that reads “geek” for just reading this thread. I feel like I went from geek to prestige geek ala call of duty. Holy cow!

yeah, it’s also a personal attack in my book, unless they are good friends.

No need for deletion, but lets’ keep this civil please