Selling Wine

Sorry, my spidey senses are tingling. This post is a fishing trip.

Or an ad, at best, if the wine exists.

Berserkers are a terrific bunch for responding authentically. OP…, not so much.

Inform those who gifted you the wine that you’re selling it and ask them what a fair price would be. I’m sure their answer to the price or assessment that your selling their gift, will give you the answer(s) you seek.

Thank you for your advice,as for storage,according to my husband his uncle had a proper wine cellar,we have had the wine about 6 weeks,we have it in a normal cellar.
I think I will take the British guy up on his offer.
One thing I do not understand is,people saying if it has been stored correctly,how can anybody tell if has been stored correctly until they drink it?.
Best,Linda

Linda. Imagine one of your bottles is worth (X) if it has perfect provenance. Now imagine it’s worth (X-Y) if it has terrible provenance. So (Y) is the cost of the lack of great provenance, and presence of terrible provenance. Fractions of (Y) define the range from terrible to average to great provenance. If provenance is unknown, different people with different risk appetites will factor different values for (Y). Take your case. If you say (but can not prove) your uncle kept the wine in a proper cellar, different people will assign different risk premia to the value of (Y) to them. If you can prove (original receipts, bills of lading showing when the wine arrived, date of cellar construction, pictures with dates showing the wine in your uncle’s cellar, your uncle’s bona fides as a known and careful wine collector, etc, etc) that the wine has great provenance, then the cost of (Y) drops. The less you can prove and the more you just ‘say’, the more variable (Y) becomes based on individual risk tolerances. Long winded, but if you want the best price, you have to prove provenance or find a buyer who’s very risk accepting.

You can easily sell for $3000 for the 82. As long as the fill, color and label look good, the market really doesn’t care much about the provenance.

One thing I do not understand is,people saying if it has been stored correctly,how can anybody tell if has been stored correctly until they drink it?

They usually can’t unless the cork has been pushed out because it was frozen. So they look at external factors and what can be known. If the label is torn and shredded, they don’t trust the storage. And like Peter says, if you can’t prove storage but just tell them the story, they don’t trust it unless you have a track record of storing and selling pristine wine.

And if they don’t trust your story or wine, you won’t get top price. But you’ll get a decent price just because of the label and name. Even if it’s fake wine. That’s why people make fakes after all.

You could be leaving lots of $$$ on the table by not, at the bare minimum, getting a second opinion from any reputable auction house.

What is the rush?

Agreed. At the very least, submit photos of the wine and a detailed description of how they have been stored with the full timeline to Sotheby’s in London: https://www.sothebys.com/en/auction-estimates?locale=en

My advice is to go to a local wine auction house or to speak to someone directly - and take this off this board . . .

Cheers.

What is a “proper cellar” vs. a “normal cellar”?

I’m guessing active vs. passing cooling. She’s in Europe, so a passive underground cellar might be just fine.

The biggest issue is heat. Ideally you want it stored at between 54 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. However-if it’s ever been over 80 for a sustained amount of time–it’s almost guaranteed worthless. Usually ullage is going to indicate if it’s mostly been stored properly where as seepage and/or a raised cork indicate that something was majorly wrong with the storage:

Well that’s interesting.

I’d phrase it differently. The market cares a great deal, but almost never knows much about provenance. There is no way to be certain of how the wines were stored, or by whom, so the auction market tends to buy blind. Lots of auction offerings contain the boast “removed from temperature controlled storage” or similar, which means less than nothing (put into this storage on Monday, removed on Tuesday?) or even “stored in 55 degree cellar since Hector was a pup,” but these are just lies we tell and accept because, well, what else are you going to do?

Once in a while, there will be a “Doris Duke Collection” auction equivalent, and you have an inlining of where the wine has been, but that is the rare exception.

I’m confused on two points that are semi-related, but also semi-unrelated to OPs original ask:

1. Your uncle gave you a wedding present 6 weeks ago and you’re already trying to flip it?
  2. And if your answer to my first question is that your uncle knows you’re selling the wine, why wouldn’t he help you sell the wine? My guess is that he probably knows the most about wine between you, your husband and your uncle.

I know a Nigerian prince who would be very interested in these wines

I agree with the skepticism of Yacobov and others

She doesn’t know about extremely rare wine but possesses some, just recently given as a gift, and she is going to sell at a deep discount?

Major disconnect here

What kind of collector would put such gems in the hands of someone so inexperienced in the hobby?

If he wanted to help her, he would have sold the wines himself and given her the money

Definition of a con is a transaction where one participant suspends normal belief and hard-won experiential knowledge because they think they are getting something at a major discount

So you think she is Rudi’s beard?

I dont believe the wines exist and this is a straight con designed to part someone with their money.
1st post baited the hook,
2nd post pulled the bait away by saying that the wines were going to be sold to the “englishman” at the disclosed prices.
I am sure if you PMed “linda” and offered just a little more she/he/they would agree to stall the earlier buyer if you could deposit the funds pronto,.

Well, if this IS a con and Linda is just baiting good luck to her. I would be amazed if any regular poster - even reader - of this forum would go for it. So many threads on risks of fakes etc etc. And if it’s NOT a con: Welcome Linda :slight_smile:!! I would say your uncle was quite unwise gifting you guys the wine, presumably knowing you care little for such, instead of just giving you a pair of Rolexes or something. If you want to sell, go for it. The offer you have on the table is ok given the little info you / we seem to have, and there’s plenty of sources (e.g. winesearcher or auction houses) you can go to for price validation. If they are pristine with great provenance, then you’re selling them too cheap - but how much hassle is it worth to you?

To The people that have offered me advice I thank you.
To the people that want to argue,please evolve,not everything in this world is a con.
I do not know wine,maybe some of you do not know my subject.
We are drowning in debt,frankly how wine can be worth so much money is beyond me,I was just trying to get some advice.
I thank the genuine people that offered me advice.
Best,Linda