Seeking lean Chablis

And if you can find some older vintages, 2014 is where the acid lies.

Some 2017 have been pretty great too, but some wines have been also rather lush and exotic in the fruit department - probably something one isn’t looking for in a classic Chablis.

2 Likes

I haven’t explored Petit Chablis all that much, but I wasn’t a fan of the ones I had. Like Otto, they tasted pretty bland to me. The acid was on the high side, but overall it tasted pretty generic. Happy to take another look/taste though. I’ll check out the ones Otto left below. Any other recs?

Raveneau petit chablis - you can find magnums of it pretty easily

I feel exactly the same way. They are getting tough to find in the marketplace bc lots of people feel this way!

Yeeesh. WSP doesn’t have a single bottle that will ship to Connecticut. And lowest in the country is over $300+ per bottle. Even for a magnum that seems steep.

Yet very rewarding! In my markets (DC, Key West, Nantucket) I was lucky enough to find enough mags to stash away while having a few to open up with friends.

My wholehearted reco is Billaud-Simon. Agnes et Didier Dauvissat another good option.
Agreed that Louis Michel are rounder, but with wonderful balance.
The key also is to hunt for the less opulent years like '11 and '14. Perhaps swerve 10s, 15s, 18s.
2020s might be worth a look, although I haven’t tasted any, but the 2020 Fevre offer suggests they are a blend of '10 and '11 in style.

Not steep if your monthly wine budget is 10k!:flushed:. It is a killer wine…but you pay for the Rav magic…I’d vote for Louis Michel. But…if my wine budget was 10k per month…I’d be SWIMMING in Raveneau fwiw!!!

Just tryin’ to live my man.

By Vocoret, do you mean Vocoret et Fils or Eleni and Edouard Vocoret? I’m curious because I bought a bottle from each a few years ago without knowing what they were like.

Servin fits the bill for me.

It was Domaine Vocoret et Fils. I didn’t realize there were two until you asked — hopefully I got the producer @Dan_Kravitz recommended!

There are not two, there are three in fact!

Vocoret et Fils is very conventional farming, harvesting by machine. They have made some solid wines, but it’s a moot point as the domaine is being broken up and sold.

Eleni and Edouard are mentees of Vincent Dauvissat, organic farming and more artisanal winemaking. They are adding some prime parcels of the family domaine to theirs, so a very bright future.

1 Like

Duplessis is about as old school as they come, if you’re looking for acidity and chalkiness. I find Jean et Sebastian Dauvissat to be pretty lean as well but again, these days a lot depends on vintage.

As mentioned above, seek cool vintages. We drank 2014 Vincent Dauvissat Les Clos two nights ago at Arpege. Like sucking stones.

2 Likes

Sad Walk GIF - Sad Walk GIFs

I love a chalky aromatic or palate sensation in my Chablis and find it to be a classic marker.

For fun I just went through all of my tasting notes from the past three years and found any Chablis where I noted the word chalk anywhere in the note. Here is what I got:

Chablisienne, Bègue-Mathiot, Servin, Louis Michel

Obviously there are vineyard and vintage aspects that would make a given bottle fall more or less into this camp, but I’ve generally had good experiences here with the added bonus that all four of these are fairly wallet friendly.

1 Like

Servin is one of my favorites, too. Both the Domaine and if you can find them, the Marcel Servin’s

1 Like

Why not get some Muscadet?

3 Likes

Agree with Mike. The J&S Dauvissat (eg 17 Vaillons) came immediately to mind. Maybe the Collet premier crus too but it’s been awhile since I’ve had one.