Seeking advice from Rhone experts

‘Elegant’ Chateauneuf was discussed at length in this thread, which you might find helpful: Chateauneuf du Pape - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Speaking of the Chateau des Tours, is the 2007 Vacqueyras really the most recent release?

Yes, and the Cotes-du-Rhone 2010 - both in last spring.

But - as usual - soon the V.2008 and CdRh 2011 should be released
(and Rayas 2009). flirtysmile

Might need to start saving some pennies for the 2010 Rayas! Are these a long elevage or just held back for age in bottle?

And just because Ian has participated in this thread, any chance of seeing Chateau des Tours CdRs in stock? (and the 2008 Vacqueyras)

Life is short. Buy Rayas.

Only helt back - for whatever reasons [scratch.gif]
(what´s not sold has not to be taxed … or that the Americans are not able to drink everything up too soon [wow.gif]

Elevage is usually not very long - 18 months at the longest …

But if you think about it: there must be huge stocks on both Chateaux:
at Rayas 6 vintages Rayas, Pignan, Fonsalette (4 in bottle, 2 in casks)
… at Ch.des Tours: 7 vintages Vacqueyras and 4 CdRh + VdP … and there are 40 ha !

Thanks Gerhard for your response. I didn’t know about declassified grapes, this is good information.

For Domaine des Tours, my question was not clear: I’m not sure there is actually some merlot in the “standard” VdP, if it’s the case then I think it would be a very small %.

Indeed Emmanuel is doing both a “Merlot” and a “Merlot-Syrah” cuvées, I’m not sure how often though. And he sits on them for even longer, I bought some 2001 last year and it was one of the most recent vintages to be available. Not really my thing though, but price ex-domaine is less than 10 EUR so well worth trying.

As for the stocks, I don’t know if you’ve seen pictures of the cellars at Rayas but indeed there are a bunch of bottles. Also, if like me you are a recent customer, you’d get offered the Rayas/Pignan/Fonsalette triplet from some older vintage (2001 two years ago, 2003 last year, guessing 2004 this year). So I don’t know how many vintages are stored over there, but a lot!

Alain

Alain,
thanks for the Merlot-Syrah info - I will ask Emmanuel next time to bring me some bottles to try …

As for Rayas I´ve been in the cellars almost each and every year since 1990 and in almost every space - and I know how it looks … the bottle stockage on the left is really very close to limit for some time (for Rayas, Pignan AND all Fonsalette) … so I´ve been very surprised when Emmanuel told me last summer that he decided to move the release of the 2009s for another year - on the other hand the chais are much “deeper” (= longer) as they look from the front.

The triplet - which is proof that he has not only the vintages 2009-14 on stock and in casks resp., but reserves of older vintages, too - is an intelligent and good invention to make more money out of it (because they are significantly more expensive than on first release).
Since I have my fix allocation since 2 decades it´s no need for me, but several times for friends who did come with me on the visits it was a welcome opportunity to purchase something at all because even when they are with me they don´t get anything the first time - and on the 2nd or 3rd visit (when Emmanuel recognizes them again) only one triplet each.
Unfortunately he doesn´t have any vintages older than 1997 (except some private bottles) … I guess Jacques sold all vintages out quite fast.

So at Rayas you have to be allowed to purchase some bottles … [wow.gif]

^ Exactly! I’ve read and heard first hand that Emmanuel can be quite difficult to deal with, but at least he’s accepting new customers.
And the price, although indeed higher than for long time customers, is still interesting: around 240 EUR for Rayas+Pignan+Fonsalette, when most wine shops will sell Rayas alone for 180-200 EUR.

I will visit again the Chateau des Tours during the spring (plan on drinking the domaine at my wedding later this year), I’ll try to visit Rayas also if possible. Long shot I know, but worth trying…

Alain

Gerard and Alain - I consider you lucky for having access to the Rayas lineup. I’ve been looking for the past few years in the US to no avail.

Alain,
you are definitely right, it can be quite demanding to work with Emmanuel Reynaud - he knows exactly what his wines are worth … and HE doesn´t need to sell anything, only I want to taste and purchase, so he is in the best position [whistle.gif]
(but I was a clienet of his uncle the late Jacques already, so that helped …)

You also have to be aware of the fact that he might come in time … or later, or much later, very much later [worship.gif]
and if you have no patience and leave … simply your problem.
But to be fair: he always showed up for any rendez-vous (sooner or later).

It might help very much if you first try to buy at des Tours … and then try to fix a visit at Rayas. [thumbs-up.gif]

Martine’s Wines in CA is the US-importer … what´s then happening I have no idea …
but you have to remember that the production is tiny, 25-30.000 bts of Rayas (including Pignan and R. blanc), and Fonsalette even less (all cuvees together) for the whole world, that´s only slightly more than La Tâche … [wow.gif]

I buy regularly at des Tours (though only for the past couple of years) Emmanuel was there only once, when he happened to be giving a tasting. More usually, they don’t offer a tasting. They just allow me to buy, and I see only the person he has staffing the place.

It’s only carried in small local shops like K&L.

They have some des Tours V. - and (curiously) an “auction” running for 1997 Rayas [wow.gif]

• bid is at 165 $ at the moment … (I bet it won´t remain so low …)
    This vintage is in a perfect drinking spot now …

Marcoux Chateauneuf du Pape 2011 now on Last Bottle @49.

PXL_20211010_010725160 (1).jpg
I’ve been sipping an 04 Dom. La Roquette [CNDP] the last 3 days. This bottling was actually brought in by Chateau & Estate rather than KLWM, which is surprising given how tight the Brunier’s are with Kermit Lynch. This bottling doesn’t exist anymore, with the vineyard’s output having been reallocated toward filling out VT’s Telegramme, and the best part - from the Piedlong lieu dit - going into a newer label - Piedlong. There might be some blanc under the old Roquete moniker, but I haven’t see it. Pristine bottle, but I think it would have been better younger, as I found the fruit brightest upon opening, and it unraveled over the next few days. The bouquet showed spice, cough syrup, kirsch. Color was garnet, with bricking at the edges. Not as much sediment as I would have expected, little in glass or bottle. More on the plum, black fruit side palate wise. 2004, 2005, and 2006 were years I bought little Rhone wines since I had racks full of the great quartet of 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001; this bottle was backfilled years later as I became enthused about tasting more examples of Roquete – realizing that might get harder (not comparing it to Magdelaine, but same basic issue) with time. Tannins are resolved, acid is low but the fruit is turning pruney/figgy with age. I’ll give this a B+, but it needs to be drunk up.

I’ve never had a Rayas, but this CNDP seemed more black than red fruit to me, despite the color. I’ve liked other years better though.