Seattle Food & Wine Recommendations! (Updated with Highlights)

I even knew that and knew I had it wrong and was too lazy to change it.

Ha now THAT is a recommendation. And it is a super short walk from my hotel. Sunday brunch? I am thinking so.

In Seattle, I’ve enjoyed…

Zig Zag Cafe (finding it was half the fun)
Tutta Bella
Via Tribunali
Archie McPhee
Red Star Taco Bar
Brass Tacks (Georgetown, brunch)
Tsukushinbo
Bakery Nouveau

They don’t do brunch. They will have a proper breakfast but it won’t be f-ing brunch. Coffee, juice if you’re inclined, potted meats, green salad, eggs maybe a couple of ways and various forms of bread. It’s delicious and they don’t question why you might be ordering white wine at 9:00 AM. At least in my experience. It’s all country French wine too. I would eat breakfast or lunch there every day if I could.

Haha I was thinking brunch more in terms of timing. Their menu(s) look STELLAR.

Dined at the downtown location several weeks ago. I heartily second Phil’s recommendation!

Tons of good recommendations here. If you are within walking distance of Pike Place Market, I would second (or third) Le Pichet. Get the chicken, it is superb. Place Pigalle is also nice. Brunch at Maxmillien’s is enjoyable because of the ambiance and the view. Good wine stores at Pike and Western wine shop and DeLaurenti’s (no affiliation to either place).

Elsewhere, consider Mamnoon’s since they have some semi-aged Chateau Musar on the wine list (I saw 2002 and 2004).

Have a great time.

Cheers,
Doug

another vote for Sitka and Spruce. Have a drink at the Pine Box-groovy hangout and you can find out the reason for its name.

Wild Ginger downtown has a great wine list and several somms.

Unfortunately the food is meh at best…

If you’re ever in search for good cocktail in downtown Seattle, here are a few near-by’s:
Canon - not only is this one of the best cocktail bars in Seattle, it also features the largest whisk(e)y collection in the Western hemisphere, with whiskeys going back to 1800’s… they cost 1800’s too…
Zig Zag Cafe
Bathtub Gin
Tavern Law
E Smith Mercantile

In Woodinville, Savage Grace is a must visit if you like lean and acid driven wines. Chateau St Michelle has a nice property, but the wine is mostly generic. Col Solare has a room inside. The Barking Frog does a very good brunch.

In Seattle, Altura’s tasting menu is excellent, but it takes quite some time to wade through. Radiator Whiskey is a really fun gastropub in Pikes Place. The smoked pig’s head is very good, but you need to call ahead to order it. Also in Pikes is Country Dough, which is just a little Chinese place specializing in noodles and sandwiches.

I will second Altura, small but really excellent.

If you are OK with pubs, I would highly recommend Quinn’s (its either on Pike or Penn). Really excellent draft beers and a really killer cheeseburger.

Also like Tilth, but have not been in a few years.

Big +1 on Canon. Their food is pretty good too, and half off for happy hour.

Some good recommendations above. I would add Salare (probably the best kitchen in town these days), Walrus and Carpenter (though it’s not really oyster season) and Stateside to the list.

Best of the best is the Willows Inn on Lummi Island, but it’s a trek and almost impossible to secure a table unless you plan well in advance.

Just to echo what others have already mentioned:

1. I’d also vote for skipping Woodinville, especially given the fact you will not have an auto (unless I missed something). SODO is much more interesting, in my opinion. In addition to the complex on 1st Ave that others have mentioned, Charles Smith (K Vintners, etc.) has a place relatively nearby in Georgetown. He can be polarizing but it would be an easy, quick visit if you’re already in SODO.

2. There are certainly countless decent restaurants in Seattle. However, I often find myself coming back most to Art of the Table. If you want a nice, thoughtful meal (and you have an expense account, although it’s not THAT bad) that would be my vote.

Pichet is a no-brainer.

I disagree about Wild Ginger. I find the food impeccable… yes, they are now a tourist destination, but that doesn’t lessen the quality.

Canlis is one of the world’s great restaurants.

And while you are stuck downtown, it might well be worth finding a way to Nell’s, on Green Lake. Very beautiful, very good food, very good wine list.

Dan Kravitz

Outstanding suggestions! I am excited to explore the city. Thanks a bunch. I’ll for sure be hitting the 1st ave complex, le pichet, Sitka and spruce and wing it from there! Canon for cocktails and whiskey is almost a sure bet too. Art of the table, Canlis, Cascina Spiassa are possibilities too. I am there for just shy of a week so I’ll have plenty of time to explore. And lots of time to go through all of your suggestions between now and then. And if any of you fools are around and want to grab a drink lemme know!

Let me know exact dates and I’ll see if I can swing something.

Japonessa sushi rocks. About a block or so south of Pike Place.