Seattle Aug. 17.

We’re here and loving the cool temps. See everyone tomorrow night!

The weather will be nearly perfect for an outdoor event.
One tiny fly in the ointment- literally- is the presence of of a few tiny biting flies. Possibly even a stray mosquito, as rare as they are in Seattle. Attendees might consider bringing a lightweight long sleeve shirt to minimize the annoyance.

I’ll have some seafood appetizers ready. Anyone bringing something to stand up to the red wines?

Peter Hickner

I’ll be bringing cheeses and salumi, can’t really go wrong with cheese and cured meats!

Everyone have the address?

Peter Hickner

Thanks Carol and Peter for being such wonderful hosts and thanks to everyone who attended. This really made our trip very special and we look forward to returning. Great summer cuisine and all the wines showed well. Thanks again Peter for the 71 Rieussec-a great last bottle!

Yes, thank you again so much to Carol and Peter for hosting and thanks everyone for the lovely food and wine! I have bottle pics and will be doing a post-mortem later this afternoon!

Great to meet you Jay and Peggy! Hope you enjoy the rest of your NW trip. My wife and I had a great time, thank you Peter again for hosting, great stuff all around. Look forward to keeping these going.

Thank you all for you food and wine contributions, and most of all for your company and conversation.

Peter Hickner

Awwwww I missed this!
Folks, please do share some photos to make me more jealous. champagne.gif

I started writing up a post-mortem but got buried at work and time (and more wine!) is slowly degrading my memory, so here’s what I have so far if people want to jump in with some thoughts! Pardon the cell phone images :confused:

2012 Jean Reverdy Sancerre La Reine Blanche - subtle greenness on the nose and palate and a refreshing minerality, great way to get things underway, exactly how I like my Sancerre

2001 I Clivi Galea, made from (correct me if I’m wrong) Friuliano, shone a dense yellow gold, and even with 15 years in the bottle showed little oxidative character. Over the evening it was quite the chameleon, tasting right at home beside the first round of whites, then not being overpowered by some of the lighter reds, taking on a lightly savory character toward the end of the evening. This was a really fun one to watch as the night went on!

2006 Henriot Champagne - just drinking beautifully, the acid had begun to mellow and the fine mousse, rich brioche, and beautifully integrated fruit made for quite a treat. Somehow the last 1/8 of the bottle survived the entire meal and my wife felt like she won the lottery when she noticed it wasn’t empty! Her WOTN

1997 Chateau d’Epire Savennieres - had a gold tone to rival the Clivi and was savory and smooth, nutty with light caramel notes that someone remarked was not unlike a whiskey, I really enjoyed this

2014 Trisaetum Wichmann Dundee Estate Riesling - balanced bright pear and stonefruit notes with a refreshing acidity

Quite by accident I think the reds were mostly on the lighter side, with a couple exceptions, but it matched the beautiful day and light fare perfectly.

2009 Dom. Piron-Lameloise Chenas “Quartz” - well developed yet still refreshingly light on the palate, and a great way to ease into the reds

2013 B. Leighton Gratitude Grenache - well balanced good fruit, went great with the cured meats

1995 Chateau de Beaucastel CdP - I love well aged Rhone wines, savory yet light on its feet, great secondary flavor development and not dull despite its age, quite the treat!

2015 Maison du Vin “Elementaire” WV Pinot Noir Stormy Morning Vineyard – beautiful strawberry fruit, unmistakable WV earthiness, quite young yet but really fun to taste what Del had just bottled!

1999 Flowers Camp Meeting Ridge Pinot Noir – incredibly delicious, everything I love about new world Pinot, fruit still brilliant even after 16 years in the bottle and great earthiness without being funky or muted, savory, wonderful, many peoples’ WOTN, thanks to Del for bringing such a wonderful surprise!

2007? Cayuse God Only Knows Grenache – no picture since Peter insisted we guess what this was when poured out of a decanter, with a tag-team effort between Jay (“is this a Rhone Ranger?”), Amelie (“this has got to be Grenache!”), Lauren (“the nose screams ‘The Rocks’”) and me (I basically just named the first Rocks Grenache I could think of thereby stealing all the credit) we figured it out! Funky and complex with a gorgeous core of fruit and savory meats/pepper while still staying light on the palate, really drinking well right now, this was my WOTN

2012 Fidelitas Cabernet Sauvignon Quintessence Vineyard – incredibly rich in comparison to the Grenache and Pinot, black fruits and smoky tobacco, the structure was well integrated and smooth, I think Jay was pretty into this one and it was certainly a change of pace

As the evening wound down, Peter and Jay ventured down into the cellar and emerged with the final wine, a 1971 Chateau Rieussec Sauternes – dark gold and with floral waxy fruit on the nose, it was drinking incredibly, some of the sweetness of youth had receded to reveal a beautiful backbone of acid supporting lush honeyed stonefruit and savory notes, really beautiful

Thanks so much to everyone!

Thanks for taking photos and the great notes, really helped relive some of them that I forgot about. Fantastic memory (or it was all note-taking done under the table!)

Thanks Bryan! I’m glad everyone enjoyed the bottles we brought. It was a really fun evening and a beautiful night for quaffing at chez Hickner.