Scout and Cellar?

Guessing MLM programs relying on friends selling to friends isn’t exactly a gang buster market right now.

1 Like

Anyone who touts level 3 in the Master Somm process is full of it, if you’re in the program it is Level 1, Certified, Advanced, Master. I’ll have to ask a couple MS’s if they passed Level 4.

reminds me of Pieroth. Went to a wine “tasting” once where a Pieroth rep was selling wine. I remember one tasteless vapid wine where the “expert” touted it as, “so smooth, tastes exactly like water.” He was right.

@K_John_Joseph mentioned, via text, that a colleague came in to introduce him to this amazing wine ‘that’s healthy because it doesn’t use a bunch of additives’ - it’s called Scout & Cellar.

I looked it up, and it’s a freakin’ MLM (multilevel marketing) company!

https://join.scoutandcellar.com
(this link doesn’t embed, so the website is below, scroll down to ‘our consultants’)

Bragging about the ‘ingredients list’ as well, I’m still laughing out loud. How is this even legal?

(Edit, just found out that JJB (Boisset) has a program like this as well - wow)

I thought the C in JC Boisset stood for ‘Chaptalize’ ?!?!?

They have a wine bar in the SF Ritz, JCB Tasting Lounge - The Ritz-Carlton - JCB Collection and Napa and Yountville. It doesn’t surprise me the we employ whatever means necessary to sell wine.

I recall someone at our office years ago was a “consultant” for what sounds like a similar business, though I can’t recall the name. So, it’s been done.
Obviously this one is dressed up with all the 2022 buzz-phrases, imagery, and shibboleths such as their “Clean-Crafted Commitment®.”
A number of CT notes, most of which are fair-to-middlin’.
TTB search tracks most wines back to “Cider Works LLC” in Healdsburg.

Full disclosure: I was the CIO of a large MLM company and have worked in some capacity with most of the well know companies in a past life.

I’m guessing the consultants, whatever they call them, are not actually selling the wine or handling it.

They get a friend to sign up and all purchases by them pay the upline.

1 Like

There was a thread on Scout & Cellar a couple of years ago. I think there was also a thread about a similar business, but don’t recall the name.

-Al

Found it, will merge, thanks Al

1 Like

Gross generalization:

Typical MLM pays out 50% of every sale in commission.

If they purchase shiners or relabeling then they need to bump the price 8x.

They claim most wines are made by them. I don’t know what those costs are.

Hey Todd,

This has been done for years at https://www.wineshopathome.com/

They are a hugely successful business located here in Napa and move a ton of wine (Probably around 300k cases). We relocated my business in 2019 and they bought our old building for their operations (45k sq ft). They buy wine, blend and bottle.