Sazerac - my new favourite

[quote="Roberto Rogness"]
Herbsaint
is definitely on the market, we just took in a case (we go through a lot of it as a budget alternative to Pernod for cooking).
[/quote]

Also a very good restaurant in N’Awlins!!!

I’ll be having lunch and cocktails there in late April. Love that city…thanks for the reminder Roberto.

Cheers all.

I finally tried this drink. After obtaining the Peychaud’s bitters, I went shopping locally and found some French Absinthe and a bottle of Crown Royal. I liked it, it has a nice clean taste and a certain subtle complexity.

Of course now I will also have to try the Absinthe in the traditional manner, it came with glasses and a pierced silver “spoon.”

More good reading about rye:

Rye whiskey - Wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a nice Sazerac at Patton House in Geneva, IL (of all places), and took a look at the Absinthe at BevMo to get some for the cabinet, so I can make them at home. My choices were either an Absinthe Liqueur or giant bottles of Absinthe at $65 and up, and I wasn’t sure I needed 750ml of Absinthe, as you use something like a teaspoon for each Sazerac!

Had one for my birthday in February at Maude’s Liquor Bar in Chicago. Been making them regularly since.

Edit: I also found some Sazerac Rye at the liquor store at North & Wells. Wow, really like.

BevMo will many times carry the mini bottles of various absinthe or Herbsainte in the rotating bins at the front of the store. I usually get those and fill up a misting bottle for spritzing for Sazeracs.

For anyone in the NYC area North End Grill always does a nice Sazerac, though it isn’t on their cocktail list anymore.

Great article, thanks for sharing. This is next on my cocktail list.

What Ryes do you guys like? The article has some reco’s but is a bit dated based on what I pay for my Saz18. I might be willing to use my THH, but what’s a good, off the shelf (preferably not MGP) Rye?

I am a Sazerac fan, but still experimenting with what Rye to use (none have been bad). My kids babysitter also likes Sazeracs - it’s OK, she’s in her 20s and has a splendid palate.

I’m a big fan of Rittenhouse 100 for Sazeracs. It’s my wife’s favorite cocktail.

Cognac for me…

Thanks Larry, I’ll give that Rittenhouse a try. The BATC Saz18 has been not only my favorite rye, but one of my favorite whiskey’s ever. I don’t want to use it as a mixer though… I haven’t had much luck in the off-the-shelf category. The last, the EH Taylor Rye was horrible for me.

Russell, I’ll give Cognac a try as well. I think I’m going to tinker with the recipe in the article Frank linked first though.

Rittenhouse is cheap, too. $24 in the Bay Area. Great QPR. A friend who is a spirits educator is a big fan.

I had a fabulous Sazerac at EMP last month (better than the food) and a very good one at Maison Premiere over the weekend.

FWIW, if you’re going to go down the brandy route with your Sazerac, I prefer Armagnac to Cognac. The fruitiness of the Armagnac compliments the drink better, IMO.

I prefer Armagnac to Cognac. Full Stop.

(Finally) Last day of school, and what better cocktail to start Happy Hour than with a Sazerac? Using Templeton Rye, St George Absinthe Verte, Peychauds, and a tiny dash of Angostura, orange twist.

Found this in 100ml. Not sure if available in the OC, but a perfect size if you can find it. Tried making my first tonight, but it was only ok. I think it was the Knob Creek 100 proof that threw it off. No Ritt here, and I am not putting my Saz18 into a cocktail…
image.jpg

I’ve been using St. George Absinthe Verte and it works quite well - it’s not as strong as some, so I use a bit more than recipes call for. Also had good luck with Bulleit Rye, actually.

I’ll have to try that Bulleit. That’s on the shelf here. I don’t know where to find Herbisant, but apparently that’s what they use in lieu of absinthe in NOLA.

Big fan of Templeton for my Sazerac’s. Go through a 750 a month. Todd’s mix is pretty much mine, though I like to slice some lemon peel and drop it in. Also, I’m lazy, so I toss in some Simple Sugar mix rather than muddle a cube. Excellent drink for any occasion, but seems to go perfectly with a cigar on the patio.

They must have changed bartenders because it isn’t as good anymore :frowning: