Saying goodbye to wines.

[quote=“Gregory Dal Piaz”

I’ve been building the list by reviewing cellartracker, which is part of the problem. There before my eyes are I credible scoring wines, crazy alluring reviews. I know I don’t like these wines that much, or at least as much as they are worth, and yet pangs of regret as they slide I to the shippers.

[/quote]

Brother,

I would focus on this point:If you truly feel that “I know I don’t like these wines that much,whether they are/have " I credible scoring wines, crazy alluring reviews,” then let them go.You know better…and send all the charbono and chinato to me…buona fortuna ,il mio fratello! [drinkers.gif]

I sold a few bottles this year for the first time. Like you said, wines that are overpriced or not my style. Felt pangs of guilt, but took store credits and am using funds to buy wines that would ordinarily more expensive than I would typically pay. Turns this into fun.

I hope i never get to the point where i own wine past their prime. I know some people like that, but it isnt my thing. Drink em while you got em.

We need to have another “Drink Greg’s Wine Night”!

When I decided to thin - more like emaciate - my cellar, I realized that there was no way I could decide bottle-by-bottle what to keep or sell. I sucked it up, kept two producers that I absolutely love, and sent everything else to auction, including some producers that I love.

It was liberating.

I experience a different flavor of the same irrational attachment: It’s my job to make and sell wine. When a batch I really like starts to run out, I get sad.

Unfortunately, I often start to really like the reds just as I run out.

I should be happy. It means people are drinking/enjoying our wines.

Joe - do wines EVER get too old?!

(Joke. Disclaimer - I’m English)

I have some compulsive fisherman friends that like to drink and I like to eat their fish. [drinkers.gif]

Wait till the first check comes in and you won’t have a second of regret…

uh oh!
That means I need to get to work and increase my consumption. I need to get to a bottle a day AND invite friends for dinner parties to get to that point on time, and the movie theater already sells me old fart tickets at a discount.

Knowing a little bit about your taste preferences, please send a PM when you decide to let 'em fly. nudge…nudge…

About a year ago I sold a bunch of wines that we just don’t open often - mostly California cabs from 1996 through 2005 and a bunch of Pegau (got tired of the variability). It was nice to open up cellar space for the wines in boxes that we do enjoy :slight_smile:

That’s it in a nutshell. I want to know. I need to experience it all. I want to continue to benchmark myself against others to make the incomprehensible more comprehensible. But it’s not going to happen. At least not tot he extent that the buying me supposed.

As to % an interesting situation. I’ve been quoted anywhere from 25% from top retailers who offer estimates that are quite reasonable, even optimistic, to less than 10% at auction, but we know how that can go. One problem is that there are lots of single bottle and small lots so tough to place in a big auction. There would be lots of mixed lots and they general, as i have been lead to believe, do not perform particularly well.

Any suggestions as to the best way to move this kind of parcel, maybe 300 lots of 200 distinct wines ranging in price from $30 to $1000 would be appreciated.

Brother,

I would focus on this point:If you truly feel that “I know I don’t like these wines that much,whether they are/have " I credible scoring wines, crazy alluring reviews,” then let them go.You know better…and send all the charbono and chinato to me…buona fortuna ,il mio fratello! [drinkers.gif][/quote]

Why don’t i just come and visit with some of the wines I’m not selling? Better for both of us!

Why don’t i just come and visit with some of the wines I’m not selling? Better for both of us![/quote]

I can’t and won’t argue with that…

You better believe it. Example of a wine that I’d bring. Wanted to sell some of my 1989 Beaucastel. Purchased on release, non leakers with perfect fills, labels look rough and vintage tags have dissolved so there’s no great market for that juice. Time to drink it! There are quite a few other great bottles with low fills, or signs of seepage, that I am confident come from failing corks not heat since they have been in my possession since release and the leakage is new.

Planning a trip to NYC?

With stuff like pristine '89 Beaucastel, I’m getting a better idea of what you’re talking about Greg.

That is what I am keeping. I’ll send you a PM none the less, but how much of my Chateauneuf, 2004 Burgundy, and Amarone do you really want? Let’s get together and drink some of the stuff we both like.