Saxum 2022

Andremily went from $93, to $105 to $110, but their shipping costs are not included in that price. I would say they are probably very close in cost considering the freight added to the cost of the bottles.

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember when Caymus wasn’t a caricature of a wine and they increased the price from $20 $50 with 87 vintage. Schrader did something similar in 2013 or so going from $175 to $225. Price increases like this are hard to swallow.

Tom

Yes.

My first Saxum order was 3 bottles of 2004 Broken Stones in 2006. I have been buying ever since. Has the price increased more than inflation over 16 years? Yes. But that’s because they used to be too cheap. If a village Burg from a good producer is pushing $100 and a mid-level Napa Cab is 3 digits, why begrudge a fair price for Paso SGMs.

And if you disagree, save the date - last weekend in September. I will be free from medical alcohol restrictions and will be opening Saxum Mags in New York for my birthday.

5 Likes

i don’t disagree but may take you up on this kind offer.

I will continue to buy.

It is interesting that the aged wines (2019 Hexe and Rocket Block) barely went up in price. The last increase of Broken Stones was in 2012. I am sure the thousands of people on the waiting list will welcome those who stop buying in protest.

2 Likes

I’m one of those on the waiting list that will likely buy when my turn comes. I’ll be curious to follow Juan Mercado’s release and the price following the Saxum increase.

No mention of the 16.6 alcohol on 2 of the wines?

I am saying this not because I believe it matters whatsoever - I’ve just seen other wineries get flamed for this.

Cheers.

1 Like

I mentioned it in post 38. I don’t think I have ever seen a dry red wine that high ever.

Approaching JackAss Hill territory.

Had to drink a 2015 JBV in protest last night with friends who have not ever drank a Saxum. Looks like I’ll be taking my full allotment after all… They want the bottles that I do not.

I used to buy Rudd wines every year. It must have been 07 0r 08 when they raised their prices from $135 to over $200. Claimed they were upping their game and the price increase was to make their wines better. I stopped buying.

I have heard Turtle Rock wines are similar to Saxum?

2 Likes

i was hoping no one would mention it and it wouldn’t be a thing.
the people who usually complain about it are the ones who wouldn’t buy/consume it anyways. like with most things of course.

This is a fascinating thread. Background: I am a 75 year old who has seriously imbibed around the world for 50+ years (and am a proud TAVR heart valve recipient/Pacemaker ((1 out of 7)) from 6-15-almost three weeks ago. This means that I no longer buy for the future but am seriously drinking down my cellar.). I’ve returned to walking, two glasses a day (no more-but am drinking well!) and depleting years of what I have amassed and collected (1,000+ Bottles at the peak).

I knocked myself off of Saxum’s list with what I felt was an outrageous price increase. This caused me to open a number of bottles (most with friends) and compare Saxum’s now $132 wine with others.

I mentioned ‘14 Cayuse Armada Syrah and ‘05 and ‘10 Switchback Ridge PS ($70 or so + shipping)(‘17 and ‘18 are phrnominal but need time.). Now, as I type this I am sipping the second day of $55 Jaffurs ‘18 Bien Nacido syrah ($72 to ship a full case for a net price of $61).(Their $38 PS is outstanding, too-especially for the price.

I have several bottles of the originsl $135+ Saxum wines The Hexe, etc.)which I will open with friends before the week is out. But all of this only reinforces that “values” like Jaffurs or incredible under $100 bottles like Cayuse Armada ($94 + shipping) and $70 bottles like Switchback Ridge PS are worth the effort and the wait.

Cayuse Bionic Frog-with a 12 year waiting list-is $115 a bottle + shipping. It can be/is sold for almost three times this online. Bravo Cayuse for holding the price on one of the world’s extraordinary wines!

I will not miss Saxum.

3 Likes

+1 on being a Jaffurs fan. Join their club and those $55 Bien Nacidos become $42.

I am confused by your post. Do you buy to flip or to enjoy? I’d take a Saxum over a Cayuse any day. I don’t think an aged Switchback Ridge PS is a fair comparison to a Paso Rhone blend, but each have their place; neither should be a monetary comparison - it is one of enjoyment. But, to compare Cayuse with Saxum - no comparison in my mind. You are freeing up space for others so I am sure you won’t be missed.

Think the waitlist may move significantly this year? I’m on it and would buy in a heartbeat if moved to active.

Agree
For me, in spite of the use of some of the same varieties, the ONLY real similarity between Saxum and Cayuse wines is the fact that they both have lengthy waiting lists.
Disclaimer, I am on both lists and happily buy both.

Rocket Block was 16.5% 2 years ago.

Question for myself, do I buy my allocation or do I use the funds to purchase 18/19 CdP?

If you enjoy the wine and the modest previous increases than buy, if not don’t. Inflation and labor costs are through the roof and although not apples to apples, the price increase (not %) is modest compared to some Napa Cabs annual increase.

When you consider the top tier new world rhone producers, most would put Alban, Saxum, Andremily, SQN, and Cayuse up there. All of these wines, except SQN, sold for ~$100 five years ago. Saxum and Alban Reva were the last to price <$100. Now Reva is $118. Andremily and Cayuse are $115. SQN is $170 for their cheapest red. When you add in shipping, which can easily exceed $10/bottle, the Saxum price is not out of line.

I’ve tasted through Paso several times, looking for that wine that’s just as good as Saxum, but costs a lot less. Haven’t found it yet.

1 Like