Saxum 2022

Interesting, I am a previous buyer since making the list (4 releases) and my date is July 19. Amount of price increase is pretty large, but as Larry said, think a lot of this is shipping related costs forcing their hand in addition to other inputs - glass, labor, etc. - all going up fairly significantly.

Larry - there al many labels/vintages available below the lowest of the new prices

I’ve (mostly) enjoyed the Saxum’s I’ve purchased in the past. My experience is that some of their wines are a little too big, others are big and yet manage to be balanced. Bottle age doesn’t seem to be a significant factor there. If anything, it seems to be a vintage difference, or maybe what the winemakers were going for in that vintage. It is a style that some may appreciate and others may not.

Although I fell off the mailing list, I have thought about contacting them to start buying their wines again, because I always felt that it is a noteworthy winery that is making wines with purpose. In this case, if their price is now $130+, I’ll just forget about that and go back to my focus on other regions, or other wineries.

My date is also July 19. I bought what I thought was all of my allocation in January by the time I got to it but it looks like I’m wishlisted for everything except Broken Stones and Hexe.

1 Like

I got the email.
Damn I was ready to pull the trigger on my first ever Saxum purchase.
But with that price increase I might be looking for some aged bottles instead.

Where?

Shipping is included.

$98 bottles have increased to $132.

I have sent an e-mail to Saxum removing me from their mailing list. I will not support a 34% increase. Remarkable they would raise their price so much in one year. Especially with the economy in the shape it is in.

I thank Saxum for the wine I have enjoyed in the past.

2 Likes

LOL!
A $34 increase this year?!?! It’s an outrage!!
What? That’s their first increase in 7 years?
But still that must be a huge % compounded yearly!
What? It’s only a 4.3% increase per year?
But Justin should come here and defend this egregious price increase!!
What? The increase is marginally more than inflation over the last 7 years?
Wait…What am I outraged about again?

I get it if you’ve only been buying Saxum for a year or two, then the price increase seems sudden & quite steep. But taken in historical context, it’s amazing they waited this long. Only if you ignore the context could you think Saxum is trying to take advantage here.

8 Likes

You have to admit the optics would have been better to stagger this though. I seriously doubt they are going out of business without this major bump THIS year. So going to 115 then 130 would have made so much more sense imo.

What’s the point in holding the psychological line of under $100 for so long only to blow it totally out of the water? They lost all the bragging rights that go with doing so in one fell swoop. Should have just raised it the 4.3% every year.

Doesn’t Saxum have new owners?

1 Like

no. what lead you to think this was the case?
justin recently bought a lot of new land, but there are not new owners.

I’m still a buyer.
Does anyone seriously think that Justin’s overhead has not been impacted by inflation?

1 Like

Having owned a business I get the need to pass on cost increases. No argument from me there. The challenge I face as a buyer is a good quality Northern or Southern RhĂ´ne at $25-$40 any less enjoyable than a $132 California version?

1 Like

im genuinely curious to hear some stylistic comps for saxum from northern or southern rhone at the price point you mentioned, 25-40. heck even 50-75 for that matter as well.

I buy Grenache based blends from Gigondas and CdP regularly on Winebid, nicely aged and equally as enjoyable. You need to reverse research them based on what is available. A few minutes with CT helps in the process

no doubt there is quality gigondas and CdP at the price points mentioned, that is not is dispute. i was asking for wines stylistically akin to saxum and within those price points i gave, which is a much narrower ask.

Flavor wise it’s the regions I mentioned just without 16+% alcohol. LOL. Seriously though, if you spend a little bit of time reading notes on what is being offered on Winebid, you’ll likely find some pretty good comparisons.
Domaine des Bosquets la Colline is a favorite of mine. Domaine de la Janasse les Garrigues is another. 2010’s and 2016’s from these regions are very good and a value in comparison.

1 Like

Maybe he’s thinking of Constellation buying Booker?

1 Like

I’m in manufacturing, I can attest to the crazy cost increases we are seeing in the market. They will continue to increase until gas goes back down to normal levels and raw materials can catch up to the demand at the manufacturing facilities. A recession is coming and that “should” slow down some buying, although I am not seeing that yet. Everything needs to be trucked to and from, those costs coupled with higher materials costs are going to sting.

As consumers we have to figure out if we are willing to pay for these increased costs. Nobody is forcing us to buy wine. I will guess that there will be a decent amount of people who are conditioned to buying these wines under $100 and will drop from the list. I have more wine than I have physical storage space for so the 2020 smoke tainted regions will see minimal if any buying from me and I have to review which wineries to drop when I see massive price increases I am not willing to pay for.