Saturday Night with a few Burgundians

Excellent lunch at Café des Ministères. The food here reminds me a bit of what Yves Camdeborde was doing at La Régalade 20 years ago. This is Bistronomy. Bistro cooking with a modern twist and execution that is skilful and understanding of flavours and textures. Portions are generous and flavours bold.

The wine list is just ok. Had a nice bottle of Lafon.

2016 Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon Viré-Clessé: It has barely evolved, showing a posy of white flowers and a big squeeze of lemon to the aroma. The palate is fresh and inviting. It has some gently exotic tones and is relatively lean through the middle. The finish crackles with energy and is quite minerally.

one bottle for lunch? I hope you are feeling ok and nothing is wrong. Looking forward to more reports.

1 Like

Hi mate, I am a man of great restraint!

3 Likes

Beaut lunch at Le Bon Georges. Benoit and his team are so welcoming and the food is as good as ever. Killer wine list with some value plays!

2015 Bruno Lorenzon Mercurey Pièce 15: Rich, unctuous and sappy, but also contained. Great power and breadth. Some mild exoticism. Layered, chalky, chewy and so long. Drinking really well.

2017 Jean-Marc Vincent Montagny 1er Cru Blanc : Fresh citrus and white peach fruits. Loads of minerals, good detail and finesse. A delicious drink.

2017 Domaine Bruno Clair Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode : A gorgeous nose of pure cherry, violets and black earth. Highly-perfumed fruits lap around the gums. It is velvety with good underlying chew. It has excellent density and balance and really fans out on the finish.

1 Like

A couple of meals in Alsace, where we unearthed some Burgundy gems at very reasonable prices.

2014 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos : Incredible intensity of citrus fruit. So pure without any artifice. Loaded with geological matter. Rich but contained. Razor sharp and energetic. Finishes with superb cut and lemon and tangerine fruits linger, mixing it up with all of the saline minerality.

2014 Domaine Bernard Moreau et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie : This wine has serious build and took a while to crack open in the glass. There are mineral reduction notes along with lemon and dense peach fruits. It is rich and powerful and beautifully proportioned. The finish is chalky, chewy and very long. Still extremely youthful.

2017 Anne Boisson Meursault : Tight as a drum. Emitting a bare whiff of lemon and chalk. The palate was compact and lean through the mid. It had good minerally detail and a dollop of almond butter protecting the gums. It will be really good but needs a few years.

2017 Domaine G. Roumier Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos de La Bussière : It was very much blue fruited, with some floral spice and earthy nuance. The palate is direct and relatively tight for now, feeling like a wine that has shut down a little. There’s underlying cool stoniness and a finish of structural chew.

2000 Domaine Trapet Chambertin, Grand Cru : Immediately expressive, with musk and smoked meat aromas greeting the nose. The palate has flesh and is velvety of texture. It builds from the core once it takes some air on board. There is a heart of black cherry and some earthy/undergrowth nuance. Tannins are supple yet there is still ample structural support. The finish fans out and drives on.

1 Like

Wrong to drink Burgundy??? We did when in Alsace in 2011 and we were with an a producer from Alsace. A day touring a fairy tale land - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

1 Like

I remember the sommelier Serge Dubs from Haeberlin recommending whites from Alsace, but saying, I would rather you have pinot noir from Burgundy than the Alsace.

What is the relation between Anne Buisson and Buisson-Charles? I am guessing another Colin family thing.

Drink well,
fred

1 Like

It is Buisson-Charles. Where to buy Domaine Buisson-Charles Meursault Vieilles Vignes, Cote de Beaune | prices & local stores in MD, USA (wine-searcher.com)

2 Likes

Thanks for TN. Had a perfectly solid Pavelot 2009 La Dominode recently but was reminded unfortunately that Bruno Clair represents a step up.

Thank you for the notes. We are here now as well. Planning to hit Cagouille next weekend, hopefully you left some wines for me. Thanks.

2 Likes

Since you asked: no, it’s not wrong and I completely agree that there is no contest with reds, but it does seem a wasted opportunity to be drinking white Burgundy when you could be drinking Alsatian whites. Of course, maybe you are just not reporting on those or I didn’t read the thread closely enough.

If it’s wrong I don’t want to be right.

I’ve brought English cheese to eat in France.

Duck across the bridge in Strasbourg to Baden-Baden for some wienerschnitzel . . . would go well w Burgundy.

I sense that it was a rhetorical question :laughing:

Not the Les Clos, but had a couple of sips of the 14 Dauvissat La Foret at a 14 Chablis wine tasting, and it and the Raveneau La Foret were clearly steps above.

Sante, Jeremy!

1 Like

Yes, is that the consensus? I don’'t think Burghound and so on score them that way and I happen not to be a huge Bruno Clair fan–sometimes a little thin and weedy imho, but I would be curious to hear more about your and @Jeremy_Holmes views.

A great week in Burgundy has come to an end. We drank some wonderful bottles off the restaurant lists. There have been some massive price rises on certain things, but there are still many bargains to be had. All of the bottles below were way under what you would expect to pay retail for them.

2014 Domaine Jacques Carillon Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand Cru : Direct, pure and unevolved. So fine and delicate on the nose, with exquisite white peach fruit, some fennel tops, flinty mineral and honeysuckle. In the mouth it is a complex and harmonious wine. It has a spine of minerally acidity, around which perfectly ripe orchard fruits gather. It has such great intensity and weight, but is not heavy in the slightest. Each sip unlocks something delicious and the wine stays with you for a very long time after swallowing. One of the greatest young white wines you could hope to encounter.

2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand Cru : An expressive nose of white peach, spearmint, smoky mineral and aniseed. In the mouth it is rich, full, silky and layered. It has real latent power and flavours glide effortlessly over the palate, filling every crevice of the mouth. There’s precision to the finish and length to burn. Wonderful wine.

2020 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes : It is loaded with sappy orchard fruits. There’s some aniseed and spearmint too. The palate has so much flesh, and a rigid mineral spine that is buried for now. It has Grand Cru weight and power and draws in, to a precise finish, then drives on and on with delicious fruit and mineral flavours.

2017 Domaine François Mikulski Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières : It was right in the pocket, hitting its straps as soon as it was poured. What a lovely delicate nose of white flowers, white peach and spice. In the mouth it was silky and voluminous. It had excellent depth but was not forced. There was some butter and plenty of mineral and citrus to the long tail.

2016 Domaine Roger Belland Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand Cru : There are some candied peach and pear notes and plenty of spice. It is full and generous on entry to the palate. It has a fruit-sweet heart and builds, tightening to finish with minerally precision. The finish drives on and it is a wine of authority and depth.

2018 Hubert Lamy Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Derrière Chez Edouard Cuvée Haute Densité : Shy at first, with a bare whiff of lemon and white flowers. The palate is razor sharp, and it it weren’t for a light sheath of glycerol it would draw blood. There’s a hint of candied peel to the flavour profile and so much chalky mineral. It has a huge squeeze of grapefruit to the finish and length and depth are imposing. Wonderful but far too young.

2017 Bruno Lorenzon Montagny 1er Cru Les Truffières Blanc : It bristled with electricity and had an engaging nose of for a and fruit. There’s just a light butteriness creeping onto the palate and there’s generosity to the orchard fruit flavours, but also containment. The finish is salty mineral central and very persistent.

2020 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières : This is such a powerhouse, with its dense and sappy orchard fruits. It is by no means heavy, carrying zero excess weight and cut by a sharp line of grapefruit acidity. There’s spicy nuance, great volume and presence and a spice laden finish that drives on. Too young now, but the wine’s perfect balance allows you to derive pleasure.

2017 Pierre Morey Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières : Completely bound up by its sulphur to begin with. It slowly unfurls in the glass to show lemon and white peach fruit and a touch of rockmelon. Has the Perrières sharp line and gains flesh and sweetness at its core. It is balanced and energetic, with great cut and persistence. Still very youthful.

2014 Domaine Jean Grivot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts : Relatively tight to begin. Breathes up to show black cherry fruit tinged with ginger and aniseed. It is luscious and creamy through the mid and still relatively firm on the back-end. Could do with a bit more cellar time.

2013 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis : It breathed up beautifully in a larger bowled glass to show notes of blueberry, cherry, musk and violets. It was supremely silky, with fine, minerally bones. The finish was fresh with some mild spice. Beautifully proportioned and balance.

2013 Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Chaumes : There’s luscious black cherry at this wines core. It has some floral and earth nuance. It is rich and layered and there’s something cool and stony lurking. It is delicious and finishes with fresh, minerally tension and is very persistent. Just entering the drinking zone.

2020 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaux St. Jacques : A deep, dark saturated colour. The nose has fresh berries, cherry and cherry stones. It is rich and flesh, but light on its feet. There’s a touch of earth and light florals too. Tannins are ripe and it has bright, minerally acidity.

5 Likes

As I read the last post I don’t think I took a breath. What a fine list of wines so well described. Would love to try that Carillon BBM.

His note was on Anne Boisson (with an O)

3 Likes