San Francisco Wine Dinner/Tasting (Thursday, April 13th)

Excellent! You are added.

Thanks for tagging me @Yao_C - I would love to attend, if there is still room for April 13th @Yule_Kim

Youā€™ve got the last spot! You are now added!

Great, thanks for letting me know @Yule_Kim! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Hi everyone:

I wanted to provide a quick update since we are about a week out from dinner.

We are fully booked for a dinner for 12 at Mezze and Mooore on Thursday, April 13th. If something comes up and you have to cancel, please let me know so I can let the owner of the restaurant know and we can adjust the set-up accordingly.

The theme is riesling. Per the OP, feel free to bring any riesling (from any country or region) you want to share with a large group ā€“ dry, off-dry, or sweet. Weā€™ll figure it out (if you decide to bring a dessert riesling, perhaps bring a less sweet riesling as a backup, but it is totally up to you).

You should bring stems with you to the restaurant. They donā€™t serve wine (which is why they allow BYO for wine) and only have a couple of so-so wineglasses in house.

Also, they donā€™t have ice buckets or pour buckets ā€“ I usually take care of the ice bucket part by keeping my wine in an insulated wine carrier with a reusable ice pack, so if you have something like that, it might prove useful to keep your wines cool.

Also, the maximum credit cards they accept is 4 per ticket ā€“ we may want to split up the ticket by groups of four OR I can pay on my card and people can Venmo me. Either is fine with me and we can figure it out at dinner.

[EDIT] And thereā€™s a hard stop at 9pm. Unfortunately, the owner has gotten complaints recently from his upstairs neighbors, so we are going to have to wrap up around 9pm.

Iā€™m looking forward to meeting everyone next week!

@R_Frankel @Vince_T @robert_creth @Yao_C @Michael_Schriefer @BillK @George_Chadwick @TylerWoods @BBaker

Thanks for the update. This will be fun!

Perhaps would it be helpful for folks to share what they are thinking of bringing? Itā€™s a very wide world of Riesling, so duplicates are extremely unlikely. But itā€™s always interesting to see what everyone is bringing to inspire ideas that could be complementary, or perhaps to lead us to have greater variety.

Some ideas I have of what I might bring are:

• 2021 Falkenstein is very ā€˜hotā€™ here on WB so was thinking of bringing one of those, like an ā€œOnkel Peterā€ SpƤtlese Feinherb #4. But I have a good mix of other '21s across the prƤdikats, though nothing too obscure (e.g. PrĆ¼m, W. Schaefer, Donnhoff).
  • 2015 Clemens Busch Farhlay-Terrassen GG
  • 2012 Fritz Haag SpƤtlese Auction
2 Likes

Hereā€™s what I have been thinking of bringing:

• 2009 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Spatlese #10
  • 2007 AJ Adam Riesling Kabinett
  • 2020 Loersch Neumagener Rosengartchen Kabinett Feinherb (these are pretty obscure, from what I can tell; MFW (and the Roberts) have given the Loersch wines great reviews
  • 2021 Falkenstein Kabinett Trocken (Egon)

I might be able to scare up non-Mosel dry riesling if people would prefer that.

1 Like

Looking forward to it! I havenā€™t had a Falkenstein before so selfishly that sounds awesome Rich! :wink:

Iā€™m going to be flying in the night before so not sure if Iā€™ll have time to go to my offsite to pick up wine. If so, I will bring 2001 Prum w-s Auslese and Spatlese; Iā€™ve had the spat but not the auslese yet and would love an opportunity to try them side by side.

If I donā€™t have time, then options include:

• 2001 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Auslese
  • 2007 Prum g-h auslese
  • 2021 Lauer Ayler Kupp Fass 6 (knocked my socks off)
3 Likes

Sorry but I am having to cancel. Not going to be be back from trip until Thursday evening.

No worries Robert. Thank you for the update!

Looking forward to dinner on Thursday. Iā€™m leaning towards bringing a '21 Kilburg Geierslay Kabinett (purchased from / highly recommended by Source Material as an up and coming young producer - Iā€™ve yet to try one). But I also have quite a few '19-'21 Falkensteins if thatā€™s of more interest.

2 Likes

Kilburg sounds really interesting to me!

1 Like

Looking like a nice lineup. I will bring something late 90ā€™s from Alsace.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a 2018 Falkenstein Kugel Peter (Krettnacher Euchariusberg Kabinett AP12) on deck as well as a 2011 Donnhoff SpƤtlese ā€˜NiederhƤuser Hermannshƶhleā€™ Auction

3 Likes

Darn, an SF Riesling offline and Iā€™m missing it. Looking forward to the tasting notes.

At some point an SF Haart tasting needs to happen.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m looking forward to dinner tomorrow at 7pm ā€“ here are a few items to keep in mind tomorrow:

• Please bring stems with you! The restaurant will not have that many wine glasses, and they are only so-so.
  • I have one wine key, which I will bring, but if folks can bring wine keys, it will help with the bottle opening.
  • If you want to keep wines cool, it might be wise to bring an insulated wine carrier with you and have a reuseable ice pack ā€“ they donā€™t have ice buckets at this place. Iā€™m bringing mine.
  • I have a table for 11 set up ā€“ if you need to cancel, can you let me know by tonight so I can let the restaurant know the final count?
  • The restaurant owner let me know there will be a hard stop at 9pm because he is dealing with complaints from his upstairs residential neighbors
  • They only accept 4 credit cards, so we may have to do a Venmo situation OR we can just have three separate tickets (groups of 4 and 3) so we can all pay by credit card if that is preferable

Link to the menu is here

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing everyone!

@BillK @Yao_C @R_Frankel @Vince_T @BBaker @TylerWoods @George_Chadwick @Michael_Schriefer

Iā€™ll be there

1 Like

Let me know if you want to do that Haart tasting. I would love to participate.

1 Like

Iā€™m bringing

1992 Peter Lauer Saar Reserve Riesling Sekt Brut disgorged recently
2007 Donnhoff NH spatlese
2001 Muller Catoir trocken

1 Like

Yule thanks for organizing! very fun group and tasty set of wines.

2 Likes