San Francisco - Rhys Offline March 10 @ Zazie

You’re right, I forgot! Heck with those north bay folks, lets have our own offline on the Peninsula :wink:

At the risk of mixing my Pythons, “spanking’s too good for you!”

I just re-retired so I can freely do whatever and can fill a spot if anyone cancels.
Likely I’d bring new releases to check in on them (I’d bring Alpine, San Mateo, Family)
or will source some older stuff if you’d like.

Venue-wise, I’m not picky, whatever you decide is fine.

thanks - Gene

If you have it at the Stanford Park hotel, and I can get a reservation for an overnight, I can be a firm commitment. And bring one of the 3 I mentioned up thread.

If it’s down this-a-ways I’d be interested, but not interested in driving up to SF on a Tuesday. I suppose there’s enough interest to make this a sort of series. Perhaps hold the second one a month or so later at Menlo Grill, and try to avoid repeat wines. I do happen to have an extensive Rhys collection, btw.

Not that I do not want South Bay peeps attending SF offlines, but I do believe there is enough interest that the south bay/peninsula group can have their own Rhys offline if they want. You guys just had an offline a few weeks ago, and another one lined up soon if I am correct! I am sure that there are enough Rhys list member to get a group of 6 going, which is actually “the” ideal size for 1 bottle offlines as sometimes splitting one bottle among 10 people can be tricky…

I do agree that one of these days we need to hold a GRAND SF Bay offline, although I shudder to think of the logistics for that one! [cheers.gif]

Update from Zazie:

Hello Joel,

Yes, I have availability for either the full night or half night seating March 10th. For the full night seating, the food/ bev minimum is $60/ person, and you can come whenever you like and stay as long as you like. For the half night seating the food/ bev minimum is $35/ person and you would come at 5:00 (out by 8:00) or 8:15. I’ll attach a sample menu here, along with a large party options pdf from which you would choose your menu.

Free corkage Tuesdays are unlimited bottles, so bring as much as you can (gracefully) handle. However, the food/ bev minimums still apply.

Let me know if you have any further questions–
J

So guys, should we do half the night (either 5pm-8pm or 8:15pm onward). Unfortunately they only do family style menus for large group, see below:

Shared Family Style Dinner - sample menu
Le Salade Louis Malle
(baby spinach w/ caramelized walnuts, gorgonzola, balsamic vinaigrette)
Mussels Marinieres
(Prince Edward Island mussels w/ white wine, shallots, garlic, and cream)
Fresh Lemon Ricotta Raviolis
(w/ melted leeks, wilted arugula, and white wine)
Poisson en Papillote
(steelhead wilted spinach, leeks, fingerling potatoes, and shallot cream sauce)
Grilled Niman Ranch Hanger Steak
(with Portobello brandy cream sauce)
Mashed Russet Potatoes
Grilled Spring Asparagus

Les Dessert…
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble served warm w/ crème fraiche
Baked Hot Choclate w/ golden marshmallows

Les Boissons…
Macon Villages Chardonnay
L’Estagnol Cotes du Rhone
Anchor Steam-­‐ San Francisco

OPTIONS: we can custom make our own.

Family Style Seated Apps
Pâté de Zazie- housemade chicken liver pate on grilled levain
Figs Figaro- grilled black mission figs, goat cheese, and wilted spinach on grilled levain (in season)
Mussels Marinieres- w/ white wine, cream, garlic, parsley
Salade Guillaume- arugula, strawberries, almonds, goat cheese, raspberry vinaigrette
Salade Louis Malle- spinach, caramelized walnuts, gorgonzola, balsamic vinaigrette
Salade Betterave- arugula, gold and red beets, fennel, avocados, white balsamic gorgonzola vinaigrette
Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Plate- w/ basil, feta, and aioli
Assiette de Fromages*- assorted French cheeses w/ port figs and walnut levain
Assiette de Charcuterie*- pate, prosciutto, salmon rillettes, olives, cornichons, mustard
One appetizer for $8/ person
Two appetizers for $15/ person
Three appetizers for $21/ person
Items with *, add $2/ person

Family Style Seated Entrees
Grilled Mascarpone Polenta Cakes w/ wilted spinach and mushrooms and spicy tomato sauce
Fresh Porcini Truffle Raviolis- w/ white wine, wilted arugula, wild mushrooms (fall and winter)
Fresh Lemon Ricotta Raviolis- w/ white wine, wilted arugula, melted leeks (spring and summer)
Poisson en Papillote- steelhead trout, seabass, or salmon w/ fingerling potatoes, wilted arugula, fennel and
shallot cream in parchment paper pouches
Poulet Sauté Grand Mere- braised chicken w/ mushrooms, bacon, white wine, served w/ mashed potatoes
Coq au Vin de Zazie- braised chicken w/ root vegetables, red wine, and herbs, served w/ mashed potatoes
Poulet Françoise- chicken breast stuffed w/ wild mushrooms and herbs
Chicken or Lamb Tagine- braised w/ eggplant, tomatoes, turmeric, couscous, and toasted almonds
Grilled Niman Ranch Flat Iron Steak*- w/ portobello cream sauce, served w/ mashed potatoes
Boeuf Bourgignone- braised beef stew w/ herbs and red wine, served w/ mashed potatoes
Zazie Sliders- w/ white cheddar and tomatoes provençales
Grilled Maple Leaf Duck Breast* w/ mashed yams and port reduction
One entree for $22/ person
Two entrees for $29/ person
Three entrees for $36/ person
Items with *, add $2/ person

Family Style Seated Sides
D.D.’s Mac & Cheese- w/ parmesan crust
Sautéed Spinach w/ garlic and olive oil
Sautéed Summer Squash w/ rosemary and shallots
Blue Lake Green Beans
Grilled Asparagus (in season)
One side for $7/ person
Two sides for $13/ person
Three sides for $18/ person

Family Style Seated Desserts
Fresh Fruit Crumble- w/ crème fraiche or gelato
Toasted Challah Bread Pudding w/ crème anglaise or gelato
Crème Brulee w/ strawberries
Our Signature “Baked Hot Chocolate” w/ golden marshmallows
One choice for $7/ person
Two choices for $13/ person
Three choices for $18/ person

The first “shared family menu” looks damn good to me, I’d be happy with that, or customize something from the rest of the list. I’d vote for just taking the full evening, surely we’ll reach $60/person, no? Even if not, I’m fine paying $60 flat cost. I’d rather not be forced to start at 5:00 and pressured to be out by 8:00. That way we could do a more reasonable 6:30/7:00 start for everyone getting there, and have the whole evening.

Here is my suggestion, do the $60 option so we are not rushed, maybe start at 6:30 and we have until closing. Below is my suggested menu, which coincidentally is exactly $60.

APPS = $15
Mussels Marinieres- w/ white wine, cream, garlic, parsley
Pâté de Zazie- housemade chicken liver pate on grilled levain

ENTREES = $31
Grilled Maple Leaf Duck Breast* w/ mashed yams and port reduction - this is a must for me
Poisson en Papillote- steelhead trout, seabass, or salmon w/ fingerling potatoes, wilted arugula, fennel and shallot cream in parchment paper pouches - would be nice for the chardonnays?

SIDES = $7
D.D.’s Mac & Cheese- w/ parmesan crust - I am fine with any actually, the mains above already have greens and potatoes/yams. we can actually have 2 desserts or 3 apps instead (as long as one the apps has the “*” in order to make the $60 min.)

DESSERTS = $7
Fresh Fruit Crumble- w/ crème fraiche or gelato or Crème Brulee w/ strawberries

TOTAL = $60

Please confirm if you guys want to go down this path. The earlier we reserve, the better. Since this is their free corkage night, it does fill up a bit more quickly than other weekday nights. We can bring as many bottles as we want, no corkage!

BTW, what I meant by going down this path, does not necessarily mean we stick with the menu I listed, but rather that we do decide to go to Zazie and go for the $60 menu. We can figure out the menu details a little later. My only concern now is that of commitment, with all this custom menu / large party reservation, I am pretty sure that Zazie will ask for my credit card. There will likely be cancellation charges if people don’t show up, which I feel is reasonable as this is a small restaurant. So please do try to make sure that you can attend before we finalize the reservation. If I limit the number of people to 8, we would not even need a custom menu nor a special reservation as they take online reservations for 8 max. However, that means cutting out 2 people, which I do not want, but at the same time it will be my credit card on the line if people cancel.

Sounds good. I’m happy to commit to $60 worth of food and would be fine with either a fixed menu or ordering off their regular menu.

There are plenty of people on the wait list so we should be able to replace a late cancellation, but if someone bails at the last minute I think they should still be responsible for the $60 (+ tax & tip?).

I second that!!

Menu and venue are both good for me.

Before I confirm I need to make sure I can access some of my stash. Oldest vintage is '09 and not extensive. I’ll go to my offsite and post what I have and I’ll the group decide.

here’s what I have in '09’s

Santa cruz
San Mateo
Horseshoe

bunch of 2011’s also

Hello folks, 4 people (including me) have already agreed to the venue, date and cost. I need 2 more yes votes to seal this deal. Not trying ti rush but it is not easy getting a reservation for a large party that is wine friendly, so please reply ASAP.

Thanks.

I’m in for the venue, date, and $60 minimum.

+1 I hope parking won’t be as difficult as I think it will be.

Anyone have a preference on what they would like me to bring? See above.

Unfortunately parking will be hard as hell. I vote for the 09 Horseshoe.

Come in one of these, and you will be find a spot right away [cheers.gif]

Looks Great Joel…Nice Job…Count me in and will figure out exact wine soon.