San Diego help

There ya go omakase is the into way to go :slight_smile:

Impecably fresh, in fact my daughter was a bit freaked that the legs were still moving on the prawn when we had with one course !

Omakase menu from last night.

Halibut sashimi with vinegar gellee, micro greens. Kind of an amuse.
Sashimi - otoro, amberjack, prawn, uni in shell
Monkfish liver, king mackerel with orange miso, sardine cracker with uni/cod roe
Shrimp head in miso soup.
Tempura- prawn with almond, okra, shiso leaf
Nigiri- otoro, hamachi belly, needlefish, uni, 2 small maki- one tuna, one mountain yam.
Fried needlefish bone

Ordered sake - was really fantastic. Thanks for the rec!

My daughter kept notes on what we were having. Have to say she really stepped up, her idea of sushi used to be a California roll. She wasnā€™t crazy about the monkfish liver- but enjoyed everything else !

Dinner at Georgeā€™s Ocean Terrace. Food was fine- but the view pretty spectacular ! We enjoyed a bottle of 2010 Ceritas Porter Bass that I had in tow!

Be at the Playground tonight at 7!

Not at the Playground with Dietzi and Selman perchance?

Ran into Jim and Jay - a pleasure to meet them. We were finishing our dinner- they were done with the 2.0 thing. Have to get back and drink some wine!!

Playground was very good. We shared apps of asparagus and one artichoke. Then had the pork chop and Louā€™s chicken. Both were excellent. Was on salt alert- but found the dishes to be well seasoned, but not over seasoned. My only slight negative was the pacing of the dishes. But a good spot, bit of a hipster vibe, very knowledgable server, no corkage.

Donā€™t wait 41 years to come back, Jay, or Iā€™m pretty sure I wonā€™t be here to greet you then, barring a miracle advance in science.

The two of you had a LOT of food. Hopefully, some of that made it home with your lovely daughter. Iā€™m glad it was a good experience for you. For us locals, PG gets a bit of a workout. I find they are usually on target with their dishes, and Iā€™ve not had the ā€œsalt issueā€ as often as others (to remain unnamed), but, yes, they are not afraid of bold flavors. The pasta dishes can be sublime.

It was great to meet you and Erin, if only briefly. Safe travels, until we meet again.

Cause you guys are old and your taste buds have deadened :stuck_out_tongue:

The pork chop and chicken are never salty

Lots of leftovers for tonightā€¦at In-n-out right nowā€¦my first time.

And yes we are oldā€¦but so damn good looking!! :astonished: :slight_smile:

And thanks to all for the suggestions! They were all excellent

Good to see you having a good time and hitting a wide variety of local eateries. Thanks for posting on the fly!

Nancy itā€™s been a great trip!! Spending time with my daughter, nice weather, good food, good wines- we had a ball!!

Now that sheā€™s out here, plan more trips!!

Great. I will have more free time but less spending money in a few months. We could do In 'n Out BYOB!

Jen and I are headed there for our forthcoming anniversary trip - anyone know the corkage fee? I canā€™t find it on their site.

Itā€™s $25 a bottle, thatā€™s waived with a purchase from their list. The list is pretty interesting. Went to happy hour there a few weeks back and itā€™s a great spot. Heading to dinner there in a few weeks as well.

They have a nice looking menu online, but no prices. I wonder if we could take down two bottlesā€¦our Krug and something on listā€¦

We went last night and the food is excellent. We assembled our own tasting menu from the smaller dishes on the menu and everything we had was well executed and very tasty. Though, make sure you get their play on the oyster and pearls, the bone marrow, and another raw dish.

As for the wine, we got a bottle of the sekt rose off the list for the raw dishes and then brought a 2000 Vieux Donjon with us for the meatier dishes. Both went really well with the food. Tami, the wine director, was very helpful with selecting something to pair with the lighter courses. As for pricing, itā€™s not terrible, though it looks like the typical markup. Since you mentioned Krug, the Grand Cuvee is listed for $250. They have a smaller ā€œreserveā€ list, which isnā€™t on the website. Itā€™s has some Sin Qua Non and some older (1990s and 80s) California Cabs on it.

We just got back from the La Jolla area, ate at Whisnknladle and Hake Kitchen, both very good.

Hitting Sushi Ota tonight thanks to this thread. What is their corkage policy?

I just bought a bottle of Sake off the list- but highly recommend the omakase menuā€¦highly!!