Sad shipping news

In my experiences, despite being better for the environment and recycling process, those pulp shippers are very inferior to styrofoam. The disposal is a bit of a headache but the protection that you get from styrofoam is worth it.

3 Likes

I[quote=“Patrick_Taylor, post:4, topic:298874, full:true”]
Plus I am reminded what TCA smells like. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

The bottle was broken and corked??? Wow, poor wine.

:cheers:
Enzo

4 Likes

I took it as wet cardboard smell, not a corked wine

2 Likes

I’m more of a tots and pears guy.

Yup

1 Like

Oh man, that reminds me of this classic WB thread/rant on styrofoam.

I’ve probably had 1,000 bottles delivered in cardboard and this was the first one with a broken bottle. I thought it was mildly interesting.

3 Likes

I’d burry the box with the broken bottle - out of respect for the recently deceased . . . .

3 Likes

Well, since there’s no capsule, was it even a wine worth drinking anyway?!

:man_shrugging:

:laughing:

1 Like

I’m surprised the carrier didn’t throw the box out. Probably because it was just one bottle that broke.

But, the “wet cardboard” smell is a reference to a common experience finding TCA in the wild, not cardboard merely being wet. It’s usually a damp outdoor environment where the necessary mold was introduced and grew and reacted with chlorine.

While probably not cost effective, nowadays they make recycled cardboard cover for bottles.

Better for the environment and for disposal.

I’ll post a picture when i come back home.

1 Like

Yes. Well aged wet cardboard would be what we consider a corked wine to smell like. In this case just an analogy as a whiff of newly wet cardboard can give a hint of what we are thinking of but unlikely to be the full blown experience. It’s probably more a trigger based on a semblance of similarity.

A couple of retailers here in Switzerland use this flexi-hex. I find them very convenient, and use them again when i travel with wine.

Styrofoam is so annoying…

4 Likes

Too often the couriers are just in such a rush, so I have had my share of breakages.
Had a case of wine a year ago including some nice Burgs where they managed to smash two bottles! Amongst the balance were some red wine label damaged 1er Crus that the shippers were unable to replace as all stock had been allocated which I managed to intercept at the courier depot. The shipper replaced the broken ones and would have refunded me for the damaged ones but I was happy to keep them as I bought them to drink them.

Those really fine shards of glass can be a pain to deal with!

1 Like

It was my regular guy, but he didn’t even notice. He was carrying the box holding the bottom corners 1 and 3. Corner 2 was the soggy one, which was the first thing I touched as he handed off the case. C’est la vino.

I bet this came UPS. UPS is the worst.

2 Likes

No FedEx is, for sure.

2 Likes

happened to me recently, the deceased was a 2019 Clinet. Oddly it was in the middle of the pack, and the box was clearly dropped on the corner causing the damage. Fed-Ex is suspect #1

1 Like

Had at least one bottle broken in a case in transit to me two years ago. Tracking it from Mendocino to the South Bay from pick-up, various transfer to finally out for delivery via UPS. Approximately 30 minutes before scheduled delivery a message pops up that the package is being returned to sender due being “damaged in transit”. I called the winery (Navarro) and they checked their tracking and confirmed it was being returned them. The re-shipment was delayed ~10 days due to weather then sent in styro with icepaks (not necessary as shipment arrive in <24 hrs.). great service from Navarro. First damaged shipment in over 20 years.

2 Likes

1 of 6 Doyard broke in shipment recently. Stupid bottle shape to blame.