Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Have the mission open right now. You guys won’t be disappointed.
Elegant and fairly light weight. Reminds me a bit of a Sandlands Trousseau.
No rough edges. Nothing funky. Fine wine.
And yes, let me pile on with the praise of these gorgeous looking bottles.

Save some for day 2. The spice emerges even more.

Drinking one as well. Love it.

I agree, the Mission improved on day two and became spicier. On day three I enjoyed it a little less.

All in all a very impressive first release and I’m looking forward to trying all of the wines again.

ChandlerVineyardTokay.jpg
“Noble 130-year-old Flame Tokay in 3-acre Chandler Vineyard, one of the last remaining blocks of any size of this heirloom variety remaining in Lodi (hence, the world)”

Lodi Wine Commission Blog
“Sabelli-Frisch revives near forgotten Flame Tokay and Mission grapes as genuinely compelling table wines”

by Randy Caparoso
April 30, 2020

"…Sabelli-Frisch is an L.A. based vintner, who has only recently started up his eponymous wine brand determined to specialize in antiquated, disrespected or long forgotten varieties, of which Flame Tokay (also called just ‘Tokay’) is an obvious, if not totally unsuspected, poster child.

"…The Sabelli-Frisch Flame Tokay is sourced entirely from Lodi’s Chandler Vineyard. When owner/grower Karen Chandler — well known to Lodi natives as a successful realtor and owner of Olive Drop Olive Oil Co. — acquired her property on W. Sargent Rd. in 2005, she knew she had something special. First, there were 3 whole acres of tall, estately, well kept 115-year-old Flame Tokay vines still standing, at a time when this grape had practically disappeared from the Lodi landscape (a casualty of the seedless table grape industry which took over the fresh grape market in the 1970s and '80s).

"…For Sabelli-Frisch, however, lack of pre-existing experience has been a point of bliss, especially for his preferred methodology. ‘My winery aims to produce low-intervention wines, from low-impact, historic vineyards,’ he wrote last week to tell us. 'I like to call them Old World wines in the New World.

"‘Naturally fermented, unfiltered, unfined. No chemicals or additives. Minimal sulfites and maximum passion. Often a little less alcohol and earlier picks than perhaps what Lodi has been traditionally known for — certainly in the newer vein of California wines, with less jam and oak features.’

"…Typical of table wines crafted from the Mission grape, Sabelli-Frisch’s “La Malinche” is a partially transparent brick red color (the variety has never been known for deep pigmentation in its skins) and its low-key nose flashes a caramelized, red berry vinosity (i.e. grape-like quality), while the body and tannin structure are soft and notably moderate in weight. There is definitely a high point, which is the wine’s bright, lively, palate-zinging acidity, giving the wine a structure and palate freshening drinkability reminiscent of something of a countrified Beaujolais or Chianti…

“…Sabelli-Frisch’s own remarks on his Mission red: ‘I think the mistake people have made in the past with Mission is that they’ve treated it as a light red grape, probably because of its light color. But it doesn’t fit into that category easily. I think Mission can give you very big tannins and is much more suited vinified as a medium bodied wine. So rather than fight against its nature, I kept the wine on its skins for about 3 weeks. This imparts great color and a wonderful mid-mouthfeel, perfectly suited for food. It was aged mainly in neutral oak for 15 months, with just about 15% new oak to add a subtle roundness to the finish.’…”

Missioninglass.jpg
“Typical, partially transparent brick red color of Mission when crafted into a table red (image courtesy of Adam Sabelli-Frisch)”

For those of you that have bought and enjoyed - thank you! flirtysmile

I just wanted to say that I’m now down to about 8 cases left of my “Lanterna” Flame Tokay rosé, which has been extremely popular. People have been loving that wine. In any case, I will have to end and modify my BD/Covid offer very soon (and since that forum is closed, I did it here), so for those of you who might want to get in on the last 8 cases, please order sooner rather than later. You can do so via this link:

www.linktr.ee/sabellifrisch

I will however continue to offer something during these Pandemic/Unrest times and I’m sketching on the replacement deal without the rosé.

Thanks again! [cheers.gif]

Yeah, that Flame Tokay was amazing. Very different from almost anything I’ve tasted. I really wish I could load up, but covid has forced me into austerity.

I picked up the BD quarantine offer to try something different and based on the positive feedback on this site. I really liked all four wines but especially the Mission which I think is a great summer red and of course the Flame Tokay. As Adam is still running the BD offer, I re-ordered more today before reading above that he’s is running low on the Flame Tokay. I’m glad I didn’t wait.

Thanks again Peter! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

So what’s next on the release schedule, Adam?

Not quite sure yet, but if anything comes out this year, it’s probably the whites - my new “secret” Milk Fed 2 and the Riesling. The reds will need until next year.

Looking forward to them.

I’ve had the Lanterna and Mike Fed recently. Both uniquely delicious. Tasting note on the 2018 Marsanne Milk Fed below. Lanterna didn’t last long enough to get a note [wow.gif]

“5/29/2020 - I like this wine: 92 Points
Dark golden in color, looks extremely interesting. Great aromatic nose. Peach, flashed orange peel, granite on the palette. Really nice acidity and structure. Super interesting all the away around. Won’t drink every night but this is one to keep on hand to open with wine geek friends or just to mix things up. Really enjoyed this one.”

I agree, this is one of my favorite new wine discoveries. Adam is creating very unique wine and I have enjoyed those that I have opened.

The 2018 “Lanterna” Flame Tokay is now sold out!

Thanks to all who loved it and tried that little weirdo wine! It will return next year - and with about 20-30 cases more this time, so hopefully won’t run out as fast.

BUT.

I’m committed to the relief and support during these hard times by continuing to sell way below cost (helps with my cash flow, too) until things change or I run really low on stock, so I’ve created no less than three (3) new deals (without the Flame Tokay).

4-PACK SAMPLER - 2xMission, 1x Alicante Bouschet, 1xMarsanne
9-PACK SAMPLER - 4xMission, 3x Alicante Bouschet, 2xMarsanne
FULL CASE - 6xMission, 4xAlicante Bouschet, 2xMarsanne

You can access all delas via this link: @sabellifrisch | Linktree

[cheers.gif] champagne.gif flirtysmile

Not even 30 minutes late and it’s sold out (after waiting months).

A member alerted me that John Gilman, from the wine letter View From The Cellar has given the wines pretty good reviews:

Mission 92pts.
Alicante Bouschet 91+pts.
Marsanne 90pts.
Flame Tokay 88pts.

Can’t be anything but very thankful for that as a debutante! [cheers.gif] flirtysmile

Congrats Adam

Great scores! FWIW, my favorite was the Marsanne (92pts), which I found serious and interesting.

1 Like

I like all of them but especially the Alicante and the Mission. As soon as I get more space in my offsite I’ll get re-upping. That mission pepper is just awesome.