Russel Bevan's New Project - Adversity - Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY for those with short attention spans - Sign up for Russell Bevan’s new Adversity project. If you don’t listen to me, you can count yourselves among those who did not listen when I told people to sign up for the MacDonald list.

New Year’s day, 2006, I started a thread on the Ebob forum that said, more or less, “I’m spending today watching football games. What mailing lists should I sign up for while watching the games?” I signed up for way too many, and it gave me a push down the slippery slope to perdition.

Move forward to 2013. In July of that year, Bob Dentice organized a dinner for Graham MacDonald in Brooklyn and invited some people for “the first official tasting of his [Graeme’s] wines.” I was lucky to be invited. Bob hailed the wines, the group actually voted on what label Graeme should use, I wrote an over-the-top tasting note after making sure that I was on the mailing list before posting the note here, and the rest is history.

I have spent the intervening period jettisoning more mailing lists that any five normal people should join in a lifetime. All good wines, but you have to have some limits. Dumol, Williams Selyem, Schrader, Sea Smoke, Kosta Browne, Colgin and Outpost are just a few that I dropped. I never did make it off the waiting list for Screagle. But signing up in 2006 I also got me a lot of Carlise, Saxum, SQN, Cayuse, Scarecrow and other great wines.

I thought I was free from new mailing lists, until Russell Bevan pulled me back in with his new project, Adversity. Entirely by luck when a well-known local wine shop had to cancel a dinner due to a conflict, I organized a dinner for Russell and his wife last night at Bobby Van’s in NYC. We brought all sorts of Bevan Cellars wines and he poured his new project, adversity, which included a chardonnay - Meursault-like with better aromatics but higher acidity and not of the creamy type and a few red blends including one that was 45% cab franc, 45% merlot and 10% cabernet sauvignon (according to his wife, who corrected him after he described it incorrectly) and a few others that the fog in my brain make it impossible to remember. The 45/45/10 blend was a 2021 that was bottled in March 2023 and was amazingly approachable now!! Fruit, spice, a bit of floral on the nose and a great mouth feel.

The prices on the reds are not cheap, but that’s not his fault. The cost of grapes from the best plots in Napa is outrageously high and it is impossible to make money on high end red wine from Napa unless you sell it DTC (direct to consumer) because the three tier system takes (steals) too much of the revenue. BUT I will have to find a place for this in my cellar, and if you are younger than I am (72 years old going on 12), this is a list you should get on for the long term.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between the Adversity wines and Bevan wines

What is price?

Here is a previous thread, with comments from the man himself .

You signed up for the Screagle list in 2006 and you’re still not getting wine?

Doesn’t explain the difference between the 2 wineries

Never said it did.

When some asks these types of questions this Simpsons episode always pops into my head. LOL

Duff_lite_&_dry

4 Likes

Thank you, Jay for an amazing night of great wine, food and friendship!

I have also been dropping off lists and was not looking to add but…

I echo the sentiment for the Five Wells Chardonnay. `
Great mid-palate with mouth-watering acidity.
2/3 new French oak, 1/3 stainless but oak is well hidden.
While it’s a premium chard, I haven’t tasted anything better at the price point of $85.

The Adversity 2021 reds were double decanted on arriving at the restaurant and drank over 3 hours.

The Twin - Equal parts merlot and cab franc with 10% cab sauv.
If you know Russell, you know he emphasizes fruit and texture.
This is no exception. Voluptuous in the mouth with plush tannins.

Melanson Cabernet - From a site up on Pritchard Hill.
My personal favorite of their reds.
Primarily blue fruits with a kiss of red.
Amazingly supple for a big wine in this vintage at such a young age.

Phelan Ranch Cabernet Elizabeth
From a vineyard Russell says we will be hearing a lot about.
I enjoyed it but I have no notes.

These are all small production wines that are highly rated.
Don’t sleep on it if you have an interest.

Check out the Adversity Cellars website for other wines of theirs not tasted last night.

Cheers!

Steve - In Russell’s style but different vineyards or, in the case of their Sage Ridge Cab, different rows I believe. $225 for the cabs and blends and $85 for the chard. See my notes on this thread.

Why wouldn’t he just release these under the Bevan label?

1 Like

Its a label/brand he created with his wife and she is an equal partner in the project vs Bevan Cellars which he has been running with another business partner for years. They wanted to focus on “difficult” or “adverse” plots they could rebuild to deliver high quality wine.

I too was at the dinner and Mark’s notes captured it well - my personal favorite was the Franc/Merlot blend which is a surprise as I am usually anti Franc due to the green bell/vegetative quality but it was not very pronounced in this bottling.

1 Like

I think that they just trashed the list and threw everyone off of it because they got tired of answering questions about how long was the wait. I signed up for it a long time ago but I avoid begging and pleading, so I do not know what happened.

Probably because he owns Bevan with Partner A and he owns Adversity with Partner B, who not coincidentally happens to be his wife.

2 Likes

This is Russell and Heidi’s brand. Victoria is the partner at Bevan Cellars.

I’ll pile on. I have a love/hate relationship with Melanson fruit, but love what Russell did with it. I’ve tried the others, but the Melanson is my current favorite. A little birdie tells me it won’t be after I pop a Phelan Ranch in the coming weeks—only time will tell. At $225 these aren’t cheap, but running below Bevan Cellars at $245.

I was at the dinner too and the Adversity wines are insanely good. You will not be disappointed buying them. Also, Russell and Heidi are such great people too. Just adds to the awesome story.

For anyone in or visiting Napa, for $500/per you can have dinner at their house!

Winemaker Dinner $500
Indulge in an exclusive wine and culinary adventure at the home of Russell and Heidi Bevan in the picturesque Napa Valley. Enjoy the incredible views while The Bevans tailor a unique evening just for you. You’ll be treated to a guided tasting of five select bottles from their 2021 collection, as well as other curated samples. Delight your taste buds with a lavish charcuterie board, handcrafted wood-fired pizzas, and Russell’s signature steaks. This will surely be a remarkable and unforgettable experience you won’t want to miss.

I am a fan. We met with Russell and Heidi back in September 2021 during harvest on the first day picking cabernet so time was short but graciousness long. I always enjoy Russell’s company and sorry I missed this NY visit. Here are the notes from what we had that day, which happened to be a root day but we went forward anyway.

2019 Adversity Cellars The Papas Red Blend. I liked this one, it was big and slightly angular but such a wonderful mouthfeel that has become Russell’s trademark. Pretty black fruits with some pretty cassis. Mouth coating and long. Quite nice.
2019 Adversity Cellars Melanson Cabernet. This is more my style. More elegance. Pritchard hill fruit on this. Lovely texture and mouthfeel. Precise with some violets and creme de cassis notes. Fantastic.
2019 Adversity Sage Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon. I believe this is Kuleto vineyard, but I could be wrong. This one hits my target right in the middle. Saturated with blue/black fruits which I adore. Notes of cigar-box, exotic tea and spring flowers. Perfectly balanced, this is one NOT TO SPIT. lol
I am a buyer.

Here’s to a good NYC visit!

1 Like

As my mother used to say, Mrs. Spillinski made an appearance during a lot of decanting.

4 Likes