Rush Creek Reserve!

Winnemere is very good this year. Did they tell you how to serve/eat it?

Mark; we ate about half …following the instructions from the cheese label and the cheese monger from Murray’s. Really quite good and everyone liked it. We actually were under semi - control at Murray’s and bought larger pieces of fewer cheeses.

It was a good day as Murray’s was our second stop after Russ and Daughters… 4 types of smoked salmon, pickled herring with cream sauce, sable, and whitefish salad, and of course, chocolate/ orange rugelach.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Haven’t had the Rush Creek, but I have long loved the Pleasant Ridge Reserve and my wife and I are Harbison and Winnemere addicts.

Remember, not so long ago, when there were virtually on interesting American cheeses? What a difference a decade makes!

Forgot to update this after eating the Winnemere last week.

I found it very bacon-y and mustard-y. Plenty of funk adding depth. Big step up from Harbison. Had it with several crackers but the great addition was some truffle honey. The umami really blasted out then. I loved the addition of the bitter salty rind once in a while.

this makes me hungry. I’m headed to Murray’s tonight to see what they have. Any other cheeses I should look for they normally carry?

I stopped by Ideal Cheese on first ave bet 51 and 52nd streets.
I picked up a couple of Rolf Beeler cheeses a Büffel Reblochon and a fantastic 18 month Gruyere.

Paul at Murray’s they have a gruyere type cheese that they cave age called Etivaz that is excellent.

so my local Murray’s didn’t have the Rush Creek, but did have some 50% off past poll date Pont l’Eveque. So I’m going to call myself a winner.

They also had this local cheese that maybe your Murray’s might too? http://threeringfarm.com/

Their bloomy rind goat cheese is fantastic.

They are now taking orders for the 2016 release

Thanks Mel. Order placed.

It’s on the shelf at DiBruno Bros. in Philadelphia now. Had our first wheel this weekend. Very good, if still a little young. In a line up with Black Betty and Tomme Dolce, it certainly held its own. What a selection of rock stars!

I ordered online as well from Upland Cheese Company. the Rush Creek Reserve that are releasing on 11/14. I ordered on Monday and have not heard anything about shipping yet.

aha! I saw this at my local Murray’s yesterday and didn’t buy it. I should have checked here first. Thanks for the tip! champagne.gif

Don’t be afraid to let it sit for a bit. I was at 110 days aged when I cracked mine last year.

And if you happen to have some truffle and honey sitting around, GET IT ON THERE.

After first consulting with my local cheese sensei (aka Sarah Kirschbaum [cheers.gif] ), last night we had the Rush Creek Reserve side-by-side with a wheel of the Harbison.

Wines were a 2014 Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d’Ange and a 2011 Vissoux/Chermette Beaujolais VV Traditionnelle.

These are two great cheeses - I realize that I am preaching to the choir with that observation, but I have to admit that I was very impressed with the Harbison. To me, the Rush Creek is an earthier cheese (and went well with the Beaujolais), but I kept coming back for more Harbison - maybe more straightforward and less complex than the Rush Creek, but it’s purity of flavor almost felt like the essence of cheese.

I still prefer the Rush Creek, but these are both worthy.

So glad you enjoyed them both, Bob. We are lucky to have the easily available to us in Philadelphia.

Had RCR last night + Black Betty (with Pistaschioso spread). Deelish. Sarah, what wine do you like to pair with RCR?

Love both those cheeses. Black Betty was new to me this year and it’s terrific!

With Rush Creek, I would ideally choose a medium maturity red burgundy, but it’s quite flexible. Plenty of whites will work well, too. We have a Jurancon Sec we like a lot that is always a good match.

This cheese.

Absolutely redonkulous, sooooooo effing good.

I’m a huge fan of this style, never met a decent double or triple-crème I haven’t fallen in love with. That said, this cheese is like taking the best of the best and knocking the complexity up a notch with a savory/meaty character that pretty much epitomizes epic deliciousness.

I let it warm up and served it to a couple friends with my favorite baguette and a bottle of 2010 Secret de Grand Bateau Blanc, such a perfect combo and one which made an ordinary November evening feel like a very special occasion. Needless to say, we killed all of it!

Sarah, thx so much for starting this thread, you rock.

[cheers.gif]

(even better this cheese is made in WI!)

Get a wheel of Winnimere. It is Harbison on steroids, more earthy, a better comparison.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. There’s many more knowledgeable than I am, but happy I can make my little bit of knowledge go a long way.

As my husband’s favorite t-shirt says “What a Friend we have in Cheeses!”